Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Racing Discussion

Old 11-07-2018, 03:51 PM   #1
cutchemist42

First time ever I felt sad/bummer about a horse still running.... (Stormin Monarchos)

This horse was good during the first season I got into racing at ASD so I've always had a notification setup for him. The horse had sentimental value to me.

I just got the email today that this horse into a 870 yard race at LosAls and part of me dreads how this turns out for a horse I really liked.

Me writing this email does nothing but help get it off my chest instead of letting it stew inside me. I just hope that if he's done over the next few races that a California rescue saves him. I would love to send money personally.
cutchemist42 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-07-2018, 04:16 PM   #2
tholl

Horse got around in his career. Has raced at 21 different tracks and in 14 different states. Unfortuently has gone down hill lately.
tholl is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-07-2018, 06:20 PM   #3
Mulerider

There is an organization that monitors at-risk horses like this and attempts to intervene by private purchase. I'll see if I can get contact information so this horse can be added to the list.
Mulerider is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-07-2018, 06:47 PM   #4
cutchemist42

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mulerider View Post
There is an organization that monitors at-risk horses like this and attempts to intervene by private purchase. I'll see if I can get contact information so this horse can be added to the list.

Thanks. Maybe I'm being naive but I think a former router with $770,000 in lifetime earnings deserves better than870 yard sprints at LosAl.. .

https://www.equibase.com/profiles/Re...401&registry=T
Old 11-07-2018, 08:31 PM   #5
MadVindication

So the problem is you think the horse is now being run into the ground to try and squeeze any money out of him?

Is Los Als a track notorious for that kinda thing?
MadVindication is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-07-2018, 09:04 PM   #6
cutchemist42

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadVindication View Post
So the problem is you think the horse is now being run into the ground to try and squeeze any money out of him?

Is Los Als a track notorious for that kinda thing?
Yeah and I've seen these complaints for other former decent horses on horse racing Twitter, while I've agreed with that sentiment before,, this is the first one that I took more personally. Running a mile to 870 yards at Los Al is not a good sign to me.
Old 11-07-2018, 09:17 PM   #7
bobphilo

A friend of mine in Oklahoma (Debbie Lee) breeds horses and she makes it a point with every buyer that they must sell the horse back to her when it's time to retire it, where they can live out their days in peace on her farm.
We need a lot more breeders like that.
bobphilo is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-07-2018, 11:20 PM   #8
Mulerider

Quote:
Originally Posted by cutchemist42 View Post
Thanks. Maybe I'm being naive but I think a former router with $770,000 in lifetime earnings deserves better than870 yard sprints at LosAl.. .

https://www.equibase.com/profiles/Re...401&registry=T
Here's the twitter account, link to webpage is on there.

https://twitter.com/notcloudyallday?lang=en
Old 11-10-2018, 02:30 AM   #9
Threechimes
Journeyman

Finished 2nd

I feel sorry for this horse also. Not because it is still racing . I feel sorry for this horse because it had to carry a no good hack in the likes of one Mr. Barrington Harvey .

That guy was useless 20 years ago at PARX and is still useless. Leading rider at Ferndale. LMAO!!!
Threechimes is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-21-2018, 05:59 PM   #10
Mulerider

Quote:
Originally Posted by cutchemist42 View Post
Yeah and I've seen these complaints for other former decent horses on horse racing Twitter, while I've agreed with that sentiment before,, this is the first one that I took more personally. Running a mile to 870 yards at Los Al is not a good sign to me.
Cutchemist42, I contacted the organization I mentioned above regarding STORMIN MONARCHO. Here's the reply:

Old 11-22-2018, 02:00 AM   #11
Mulerider

Perhaps some good news on this horse:

Old 11-22-2018, 04:56 AM   #12
Spalding No!

Note the show horse in Stormin Monarcho's last race: Kristo.

Kristo was on the Derby trail back in 2014, and while that didn't pan out, he did have the distinction of finishing closer to Arrogate than any other horse--save Kristo's old Derby trail rival California Chrome--during Arrogate's epic 7-race win streak when runner-up in Arrogate's start before the 2016 Travers breakout.

Just a year later, the horse was unceremoniously dropped for $8,000 by his connections, who coincidentally won the BC Classic a couple of weeks ago.
Spalding No! is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-22-2018, 08:31 AM   #13
Mulerider

Thank you, Spalding. Contacted The Watch re KRISTO, as he wasn't listed, and quoted some of your comments in my tweet to them.
Old 11-25-2018, 10:32 AM   #14
tholl

How about Wake Forest? Grade One winner claimed by Jorge Abreu when running badly for $8K at Gulfstream West yesterday.
tholl is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-25-2018, 10:36 AM   #15
SaratogaSteve

Quote:
Originally Posted by tholl View Post
How about Wake Forest? Grade One winner claimed by Jorge Abreu when running badly for $8K at Gulfstream West yesterday.
I was trying to understand this specific one yesterday. Everyone was patting Mike Dubb on the back yesterday for claiming him with the goal of retiring him. Just 5 months ago, Dubb was racing him, and looks like he sold him to The Hills/Gargan, who are getting killed for racing him at the low claiming level. I don't get the outrage, what's changed in the last 5 months?? Am I missing something?

edit: just saw a follow up tweet - Wake Forest was sold at auction for $90k in July. $90k funds a lot of these retirement claims...what a racket.

Last edited by SaratogaSteve; 11-25-2018 at 10:45 AM.
SaratogaSteve is offline   Reply With Quote Reply

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: