Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Racing Discussion

Old 03-10-2016, 08:28 AM   #1
Pigpen

Oaklawn Park

The Hot Springs track is quietly running a great meet. The MSW races are 75K. The 3yo prep series is IMO as good as any in the country. The fields are adequate. Tomorrow's second race is an allowance that carries a 79K purse. I don't know if the racino will continue to thrive but they seem to invest the $ in the racetrack.

Attached Images
File Type: gif ScreenHunter_01 Mar. 09 19.28.gif (30.0 KB, 191 views)
Pigpen is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-10-2016, 09:25 AM   #2
Donttellmeshowme
Veteran

Oaklawn does it right. Very nice purses
Donttellmeshowme is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-10-2016, 10:30 AM   #3
ultracapper

#6 Titanium
ultracapper is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-10-2016, 10:55 AM   #4
green80

Why does this track in the small town of Hot Springs, Ar. do so well when the majority of the tracks in the country are going downhill? Handle up, purses up. Maybe the other guys need to take a lesson from these guys in Hot Springs.

Last edited by green80; 03-10-2016 at 10:57 AM.
green80 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-10-2016, 11:45 AM   #5
ronsmac

Quote:
Originally Posted by green80
Why does this track in the small town of Hot Springs, Ar. do so well when the majority of the tracks in the country are going downhill? Handle up, purses up. Maybe the other guys need to take a lesson from these guys in Hot Springs.
Slots. Or whatever they're calling their gaming machines these days. I wish with all that free money they would make their signal available to all adws or at least lower their exacta takeout
ronsmac is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-10-2016, 11:50 AM   #6
EMD4ME
NoPoints4ME

Jockey's and connections that are there to try.

No Yonkers line ups in 24 48 in sprints.....
EMD4ME is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-10-2016, 11:57 AM   #7
Stillriledup
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donttellmeshowme
Oaklawn does it right. Very nice purses
They are also one of the few tracks that doesn't allow computer robots in the pools. Kudos to them for that.
Stillriledup is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-10-2016, 12:13 PM   #8
mannyberrios
easygoer

The racing is great also. Alot of value in the pools
mannyberrios is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-10-2016, 12:33 PM   #9
ronsmac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stillriledup
They are also one of the few tracks that doesn't allow computer robots in the pools. Kudos to them for that.
I bet Oaklawn so I appreciate them for that, though I've been told the crw guys have a loophole or 2 around that. I do feel a touch guilty when I bet them because I was part of the Churchill boycott and Churchill negotiates Oaklawns signal distribution. So Churchill is making money off of me when I bet Oaklawn.
ronsmac is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-10-2016, 12:40 PM   #10
green80

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronsmac
I bet Oaklawn so I appreciate them for that, though I've been told the crw guys have a loophole or 2 around that. I do feel a touch guilty when I bet them because I was part of the Churchill boycott and Churchill negotiates Oaklawns signal distribution. So Churchill is making money off of me when I bet Oaklawn.
I don't think it is that they don't allow the CRW guys as much as it is they do not discount their signal so no rebate money so the CRW guys go somewhere else.
green80 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-10-2016, 02:42 PM   #11
thaskalos

Quote:
Originally Posted by green80
Nice-sized fields...and no turf course.

IMO...the vast majority of the horseplayers are TERRIBLE at betting the turf races...but they don't want to admit it, even to themselves. The full fields in these turf races blind them to their own incompetence in wagering on the event.
Old 03-11-2016, 08:10 AM   #12
burnsy
self medicated

Quote:
Originally Posted by thaskalos
Nice-sized fields...and no turf course.

IMO...the vast majority of the horseplayers are TERRIBLE at betting the turf races...but they don't want to admit it, even to themselves. The full fields in these turf races blind them to their own incompetence in wagering on the event.

I have a good friend that loves this meet. The lack of turf races is the reason I lose interest.
burnsy is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-11-2016, 08:50 AM   #13
olddaddy

Lack of grass then should help aqueduct winter racing.
olddaddy is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-12-2016, 03:45 PM   #14
forced89

For a period of about 15 years I spent almost the entire meet at OP. Bought a condo in Hot Springs Village for $26,500; used it during racing season; and had a RE Company rent it out by the week when I wasn't using it. I had positive cash flow from the rentals and ended up selling the unit for something like $35,000. It rented well because HSV has 9 great golf courses and Hot Springs is a great city to visit.

Oaklawn Park treats the fans and owners great. When your horse wins a race they send you a professionally done DVD of the race which includes the paddock, the post parade, the race, the payoffs and multiple replays of the race.
forced89 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-19-2018, 03:50 PM   #15
Andy Asaro

Excerpt from Press Release:

About the project:

Oaklawn is investing in excess of $100 million to further elevate thoroughbred racing and make Oaklawn and Hot Springs an even stronger regional tourism destination.

The Oaklawn expansion will be one of the largest hospitality investments in the history of Arkansas.

This is a private investment. No public dollars are being used.

The project will focus on five main areas:

Enhanced racing experience
4-star hotel and spa
Multi-purpose event center
Expanded gaming area
Additional on-site parking

This expansion project has been in the planning stages since 2014.
This will be Oaklawn’s third major construction project since 2008.

About the hotel/multi-purpose event center:

The hotel will be 7 stories tall with 200 luxury rooms, including two presidential suites.

The goal is for the hotel to achieve 4-star status.

The hotel will offer patrons a unique vantage point in that it will overlook the racetrack on one side with a beautiful view of the lakes and mountains on the other.

Room rates will be competitive with other properties of this quality.

The hotel will include:

outdoor swimming pool
luxury spa
fitness center
restaurant
multi-purpose event center
individual meeting rooms

The 14,000 square-foot multi-purpose event center will accommodate up to 1,500 people for events ranging from concerts, to meetings, to banquets, to weddings.

Oaklawn is working with the Hot Springs Advertising and Promotion Commission to ensure that the multi-purpose event center compliments efforts of the Hot Springs convention center and arena. The partnership will help attract more and larger meetings and conventions to the city.

The project includes expanded on-site parking to accommodate more vehicles.

A shuttle service will be available to transport patrons from their vehicles to the facility. Shuttle stops will be strategically located throughout the parking areas.

About the gaming expansion:

The new expansion will add approximately 28,000 square-feet of gaming space.

The enhanced gaming experience will allow Oaklawn to provide larger purses to help attract the top thoroughbreds joining a long line of champions such as Smarty Jones, Zenyatta and American Pharoah.

About the construction:

HBG Design of Memphis is the architectural firm on the project. This will represent the firm’s third expansion design for Oaklawn.

Flintco Construction, with Arkansas headquarters located in Springdale, is the contractor on the project. Flintco has managed major construction projects all over Arkansas.

Construction will begin in May, immediately following the completion of the 2019 racing season.

Target completion dates:
Gaming expansion – January 2020
Hotel and multi-purpose event center – Late 2020

About economic impact:

Oaklawn’s reputation as a year-round tourism destination will be enhanced. Hotel guests will have easy access to Hot Springs National Park, area lakes, hiking and biking trails, museums, amusement parks, and restaurants representing a significant economic impact to the city of Hot Springs and the state of Arkansas.

Flintco estimates that as many as 2,300 construction jobs will be created during the construction phase.

Though a specific number is still under consideration, Oaklawn anticipates several hundred additional jobs will be created in expanded areas.

About the Oaklawn principals:

Louis Cella, president of Oaklawn Jockey Club, succeeded his late father, Charles, in December 2017. The Cella family were among the founding partners in Oaklawn in the early 1900s. Louis is a graduate of the University of Arkansas School of Law, past Chairman of the Arkansas Cancer Research Center Foundation, Director of the UAMS Foundation Fund Board and Director of the Myeloma Institute. Louis’ wife, Rochelle Dean, is from England, Arkansas.

Wayne Smith, general manager of Oaklawn, joined the racetrack in 2016 with extensive experience in working with resort properties around the world for ITT-Sheraton, MGM Grand and Caesar’s Entertainment. He also worked for Empire City Racing and Gaming in New York and Penn Gaming in Illinois.
Andy Asaro is offline   Reply With Quote Reply

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: