Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Racing Discussion

Old 09-19-2018, 02:30 PM   #16
thaskalos

Will this be a $1 wager?
Old 09-19-2018, 05:12 PM   #17
AskinHaskin

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlsoEligible View Post
For those comparing it to a lottery bet, the odds of nailing the exact order of finish in a 12 horse field are 479 million to 1. And that's just the first race.

Not sure how to work out the math to include the second race, maybe someone smarter than me can figure it out. If it's simply double the odds, then you're looking at nearly a 1 in a billion shot.

By comparison, the odds of winning a Powerball jackpot are about 292 million to 1. So this wager is infinitely harder to win, and only offers a fraction of the payout.

Of course if someone does manage to hit this (probably an offshore whale that can cover a couple hundred thousand combinations), everyone is going to think back to the Breeder's Cup Pick 6 and assume the fix was in. Even if it is just blind dumb luck, no one will believe it. Only racing would risk giving itself another black eye on an unforced error, just to push a gimmick bet that no one asked for.

Two unique occurrences, each at 479-million-to-1, should be multiplied, rather than added.

Same as with a basic Daily Double.

(1 in 12) x (1 in 12) = 144
AskinHaskin is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-19-2018, 05:46 PM   #18
AskinHaskin

Last time racing offered a wager with that many combinations, most were unable to play the wager because most of the tote systems could not handle the range of possibilities.

combinations (12 horse fields) : 229,442,532,802,560,000

229 Quadrillion, 442 Trillion, 532 Billion, 802 Million, 560 thousand

Last time something similar was offered in racing, the task had more than twice as many combinations.

The handle was $6223, and there was a single winning (consolation)

Don't spend all night handicapping...

Last edited by AskinHaskin; 09-19-2018 at 06:00 PM.
Old 09-19-2018, 06:06 PM   #19
AskinHaskin

(in layman's terms, that is 3 times as challenging as winning BOTH Powerball AND Mega Millions with one combination/ticket in each lottery)
Old 09-19-2018, 06:10 PM   #20
AlsoEligible

In that case the odds of hitting this wager are 229,441,000,000,000,000:1. So we're saying there's a chance?

Hell, TSG might as well advertise a $5 billion bonus to whoever hits this, because there's virtually no chance of it happening. At least that might get some more suckers to put their money in.

Quote:
Last time racing offered a wager with a similar-ish number of combinations, most were unable to play the wager because the tote could not handle the range of possibilities.
I think where the tote struggles on wagers like this are box/wheel bets that exponentially increase the number of combinations covered on a single ticket. I wouldn't be surprised to see this limited to only straight bets, which will essentially make it a true lottery wager.

Last edited by AlsoEligible; 09-19-2018 at 06:12 PM.
AlsoEligible is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-19-2018, 06:27 PM   #21
castaway01

Quote:
In that case the odds of hitting this wager are 229,441,000,000,000,000:1. So we're saying there's a chance?

Hell, TSG might as well advertise a $5 billion bonus to whoever hits this, because there's virtually no chance of it happening. At least that might get some more suckers to put their money in.

I think where the tote struggles on wagers like this are box/wheel bets that exponentially increase the number of combinations covered on a single ticket. I wouldn't be surprised to see this limited to only straight bets, which will essentially make it a true lottery wager.
I was going to say that the real odds are probably slightly better than that because obviously some horses have a better chance of finishing first than others (it's not 12 random numbers but horses that will be from 3-5 to 99-1, or whatever). But what would that do, lower it to a billion to 1?

I really think that's what racing WANTS, a true lottery wager that somehow catches on like Powerball where people with no knowledge of racing bet random numbers in hopes of winning tens or hundreds of millions at once. And hell, I'd want that too if I was in track management. These jackpot bets are a tiny successful step in that direction (successful being a relative term). But even in my wildest imagination I don't see them getting from point A to point Z. Maybe if you could somehow get a Kentucky Derby bet where you pick the first 8 or 10 horses?
castaway01 is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-19-2018, 08:30 PM   #22
the little guy

They should realize the foolishness of this idea, which will generate next to no handle, and perhaps offer a twin tri, with maybe a 20 cent minimum, which could actually generate significant handle.

All ideas aren't good ideas.
the little guy is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-19-2018, 08:48 PM   #23
AskinHaskin

Quote:

Uh, your rounding-error alone is 1.5 trillion plus.

And with regard to the tote, I think the mere 'grid' for all possible outcomes is simply too great for it to facilitate (and accomplish other things at the same time).

Indeed there was one tote system that was taking the last big one like this, but a big-name entity as reliant upon its entire simulcast network as Pegasus/Gulfstream is, would simply never (under present limitations) allow such an absurd notion to be implemented.
Old 09-19-2018, 08:58 PM   #24
VigorsTheGrey
Veteran

Quote:
https://www.paulickreport.com/news/t...sus-world-cup/

Working in racing for the past decade, I've heard a lot of terrible, half-baked ideas. This one might take the cake.

Can't wait to be standing in line, waiting to get a bet in, while the guy in front of me is reading off (or trying to punch in) a bet of 1,2,3/1,2,3,4,5,6/4,5,6,7/4,5,6,7/4,5,6,7/4,5,6,7/7,8,9,10/7,8,9,10/7,8,9,10/7,8,9,10/8,9,10,11/9,10,11,12....WITH 1,2,3/1,2,3,4,5,6/4,5,6,7/4,5,6,7/4,5,6,7/4,5,6,7/7,8,9,10/7,8,9,10/7,8,9,10/7,8,9,10/8,9,10,11/9,10,11,12.
The above ticket is not possible as all horses in each race need to be in the sequence somewhere, but I get your point...
VigorsTheGrey is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-19-2018, 09:08 PM   #25
098poi

Excellent quote from a reply to the article,

As Milton Berle once aptly put it, "The track is the only place where the windows clean the people"

I think there is more of a chance of an asteroid hitting the earth between these 2 races than anyone hitting it.

Remarkably dumb idea.
098poi is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-19-2018, 10:19 PM   #26
AskinHaskin

Quote:
Originally Posted by VigorsTheGrey View Post
The above ticket is not possible as all horses in each race need to be in the sequence somewhere, but I get your point...
True observation.

But it would take merely adding #3 in the 3rd rung in each race to make this a viable ticket. (which would entail 82,944 combinations) (and that only because the ticket is severely limited in many/most areas)
Old 09-20-2018, 03:31 AM   #27
PICSIX
Mike Schultz

Old 09-20-2018, 02:54 PM   #28
mikekk

I wouldn't bet into this if Bill Gates and Warren Buffett BOTH gave me all their money!

But I AM interested in the logistics of the thing. What constitutes a winning wager? IE, if you nail the first leg (all 12 in the correct order !!!!), but blow the second, is that better or worse than nailing the first 6 finishers in both legs? Is it better to get the first 6 in the first leg, and nail the second? Gulfstream is going to get its ass sued off over this thing unless they have some rules covering every possible contingency...and My God, is there ever going to be a LOT of contingencies!

And who is this donkey bet aimed at? I can't see whales betting it big (I doubt their proficiency at picking finishing for instance,7th is any better than ours; and a guaranteed $5 million for a once a year bet is not a huge incentive for revamping their software/data bases to make such a bet). Other tracks picking up GP's signal? They'd have to change THEIR betting software to accommodate it, with no assurance that anyone is going to even bet it. ADW's? Same point.

This is going to be a well-deserved disaster for them

Mike
mikekk is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-20-2018, 04:37 PM   #29
Tom
The Voice of Reason!

I heard that if you hit 23 out of 24 you get a free Pegasus Travel Mug.
Old 09-20-2018, 04:51 PM   #30
Buckeye
Smarty Pants

I don't know, sounds like a double Superfecta,

What could possibly go wrong?
Buckeye is offline   Reply With Quote Reply

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: