Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Racing Discussion

Old 01-25-2018, 03:05 PM   #166
onefast99

All I remember is last year it was Chrome vs Arrogate now we have at least a group of 5 horses who could win this race.
Old 01-25-2018, 03:06 PM   #167
upthecreek

upthecreek is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-25-2018, 04:21 PM   #168
classhandicapper

Quote:
Originally Posted by storyline View Post
I will include Gunnevera or Stellar Wind to finish 4th rounding out the super.
I think she's an interesting use for the bottom of some exotics also.

Pretty much everyone earth thinks she too slow to begin with and after the debacle in the Distaff, she looks even worse. But she didn't get out of the gate well that day and got pushed a little to get position while racing on the worst path inside.

That was literally the only poor effort of her career. It would not totally shock me if she bounced back with a good race Saturday.

At her best she used to give Beholder fits. Beholder held her own with some decent older males.

What's the fair price that Beholder could get a minor award in this race?

I'm not sure, but I think Stellar Wind is going to be a hell of lot longer than Beholder would be. If she just sits 4-5 lengths off it, I could see her hanging around for 3rd or 4th.
Old 01-25-2018, 06:16 PM   #169
storyline

Quote:
Originally Posted by classhandicapper View Post

Pretty much everyone earth thinks she too slow to begin with and after the debacle in the Distaff, she looks even worse. But she didn't get out of the gate well that day and got pushed a little to get position while racing on the worst path inside.

That was literally the only poor effort of her career. It would not totally shock me if she bounced back with a good race Saturday.

At her best she used to give Beholder fits. Beholder held her own with some decent older males.

I'm not sure, but I think Stellar Wind is going to be a hell of lot longer than Beholder would be. If she just sits 4-5 lengths off it, I could see her hanging around for 3rd or 4th.

Positionally I'd like to see Rosario put her against the rail and ahead of #1 Singing Bullet, that is a horse you don't want to be behind imo. That might have her laying 6th or so into what will most assuredly be a fast pace.

Last edited by storyline; 01-25-2018 at 06:19 PM.
storyline is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-25-2018, 07:04 PM   #170
Afleet

Quote:
Originally Posted by cj View Post
Didn't the Classic too?
he doesn't seem like a 1 1/4 horse
Afleet is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-25-2018, 07:06 PM   #171
Afleet

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhantomOnTour View Post
I don't expect Gunnevera to win, but in the search for value, he's the one. Unless West Coast has improved. If Azteca and Collected go, as expected, he should pick up a lot of them. I'll likely key him 2nd and 3rd in tris.
Don't overlook the home track angle
I agree w/you-he seems live to hit the board
Old 01-25-2018, 07:08 PM   #172
Afleet

Quote:
Originally Posted by classhandicapper View Post

she could get a nice ground saving trip; I could use her on the bottom of tris and supers
Old 01-25-2018, 07:26 PM   #173
Fager Fan
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Afleet View Post
she could get a nice ground saving trip; I could use her on the bottom of tris and supers
I think she's done. Think of the times something like this has worked well, when a horse's career connections have retired a horse because they think she's done, but the new connection bring her back to her best. In her first race back after a seriously horrible last time out.

I can't think of a time. And now they're asking her to go against top older males. My prediction is she finishes in the second half of the field, and maybe even last.
Fager Fan is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-25-2018, 08:16 PM   #174
classhandicapper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fager Fan View Post
I think she's done. Think of the times something like this has worked well, when a horse's career connections have retired a horse because they think she's done, but the new connection bring her back to her best. In her first race back after a seriously horrible last time out.

I can't think of a time. And now they're asking her to go against top older males. My prediction is she finishes in the second half of the field, and maybe even last.
That's why she'll probably be longer than 40-1. You have to fish for a reason to think she can regain her good form and even then wonder if that's enough to get her into the super.
Old 01-25-2018, 08:34 PM   #175
Afleet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fager Fan View Post

you are probably right; she was such a good filly, not sure why they would run here
Old 01-25-2018, 09:24 PM   #176
Fager Fan
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Afleet View Post
you are probably right; she was such a good filly, not sure why they would run here
New owner (Coolmore) who will chance these things (think of the horse who ran in Classic against Curlin and Hard Spun), figure shot at getting back nice chunk of her purchase price, and doesn't really matter, she retires right after to be bred.

I wouldn't do it.

The downside for this is if she has been given any Regumate or other drugs that make it so she doesn't get pregnant easily straight out of training.
Fager Fan is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-25-2018, 09:30 PM   #177
Denny
Veteran

underneath

Since we're looking for some filler with value for the exotics, I'll go with one that has gotten very little mention and is an unknown to the general public -

FEAR THE COWBOY
Denny is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-26-2018, 09:47 AM   #178
Tom
The Voice of Reason!

After looking at the full card, I am going to break my own rule and bet GP Saturday....I am going all in on the "Pick ~about 6"
Old 01-26-2018, 10:12 AM   #179
onefast99

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom View Post
After looking at the full card, I am going to break my own rule and bet GP Saturday....I am going all in on the "Pick ~about 6"
the run up to the betting windows is at 21 feet, the bets will also be hand written, just in case you forgot how GP works operationally...
But they do have a nice Under Armour polo for $125...
Old 01-26-2018, 10:16 AM   #180
Redboard
$2 Showbettor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom View Post

Kick-ass card. I'm with you.
Redboard is offline   Reply With Quote Reply