Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Racing Discussion

Old 01-25-2018, 09:29 AM   #151
classhandicapper

Here's my theory for today.

Smith sends Collected just enough to make sure Gun Runner is hung out 3 wide first turn. He may even take him 4-5 wide so Geroux has to use Gun Runner harder if he wants to get a good spot stalking. That still allows Smith to get good position and also allows West Coast to tuck in, get good position, and possibly even get first run at Sharp Azteca instead of having to close down Gun Runner and Collected like he had to in the Classic.

Last edited by classhandicapper; 01-25-2018 at 09:39 AM.
classhandicapper is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-25-2018, 11:20 AM   #152
bpiets
Veteran

LAST YEARS RACE HAD A FEW THAT HAD TROUBLED RACES...SO THIS YEAR GUNRUNNER WILL BE HARD PRESSED TO WIN...LOL...EVEN THE OTHER GUN..... >>< >>>>CAN WIN THIS...( fill in the other letters...lol..)...but it looks like a 5-2-10-6 race.....and dettori is in the race with a shipper.....must be ready...

Last edited by bpiets; 01-25-2018 at 11:21 AM.
bpiets is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-25-2018, 12:02 PM   #153
letswastemoney

I'm not sold Sharp Azteca will burn through crazy 22/45 fractions.

I'm seeing more along the lines of 23/46, leaving him enough in the tank to win (if going this long really doesn't bother him).
letswastemoney is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-25-2018, 12:02 PM   #154
jay68802

Gunrunner is by far the best horse in the field. The wide trip will be overcome by the fact that he is just that much better than the rest of the field. Sharp Azteca and Collected can do anything they want to try and make it difficult for him, but in the end it will not matter.
jay68802 is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-25-2018, 12:17 PM   #155
Robert Fischer
clean money

Quote:
Originally Posted by classhandicapper View Post
Here's my theory for today.

Smith sends Collected just enough to make sure Gun Runner is hung out 3 wide first turn. He may even take him 4-5 wide so Geroux has to use Gun Runner harder if he wants to get a good spot stalking. That still allows Smith to get good position and also allows West Coast to tuck in, get good position, and possibly even get first run at Sharp Azteca instead of having to close down Gun Runner and Collected like he had to in the Classic.
I agree with you.

Collected does seem like he'll be in a position that Mike Smith can employ some tactics. I don't expect a sacrifice, but a lane wider, and/or denying a lane to Gun Runner is very possible.

Toast of New York is an unknown, and never as quick as Gun Runner, but there is a slim chance that he will break running. The goal is to emulate his 2014 Classic where he was forwardly placed.

Gun Runner is more of a leader/presser at this point, so I expect him to be near the front. The first turn comes up quick, but not impossibly so. I'd guess that Irad breaks on top with Sharp Azteca and then relaxes into the 1st turn saving ground on the lead, rather than opening up on the lead. Lot's of 'ifs' and 'guesses', but Gun Runner could in fact break on a course to be just outside of Sharp Azteca, with Mike Smith having an option of urging to split the two in order to keep Gun runner a path wider. Race riding is a possibility taking an extra path wider.

Last edited by Robert Fischer; 01-25-2018 at 12:19 PM.
Robert Fischer is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-25-2018, 12:57 PM   #156
PhantomOnTour
C'est Tout

Isn't this race setting up perfectly for Gunnevera to get a major share on his favorite track?
Old 01-25-2018, 01:00 PM   #157
Thomas Roulston

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhantomOnTour View Post
Isn't this race setting up perfectly for Gunnevera to get a major share on his favorite track?

Yes, a major share. Just not the winner's share.
Thomas Roulston is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-25-2018, 01:02 PM   #158
cj
@TimeformUSfigs

Quote:
Didn't the Classic too?
cj is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-25-2018, 01:08 PM   #159
PhantomOnTour
C'est Tout

I don't expect Gunnevera to win, but in the search for value, he's the one. Unless West Coast has improved. If Azteca and Collected go, as expected, he should pick up a lot of them. I'll likely key him 2nd and 3rd in tris.
Don't overlook the home track angle
Old 01-25-2018, 01:38 PM   #160
linrom1
Veteran

Quote:
I don't expect Gunnevera to win, but in the search for value, he's the one. Unless West Coast has improved. If Azteca and Collected go, as expected, he should pick up a lot of them. I'll likely key him 2nd and 3rd in tris.
Don't overlook the home track angle
That's fine but Watchmaker is picking Gunnevera!
linrom1 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-25-2018, 01:50 PM   #161
Valuist

Quote:
Absolutely. Still think he ran an absolutely giant race in the Travers, going wide on the turns on a day one wanted to be inside.
Valuist is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-25-2018, 02:03 PM   #162
storyline

I was surprised by the number of favorable posts in support of Sharp Azteca to win this race.

If he tries to wire the field (which is his best chance imo) I think he'll tire badly turning for home and finish in the bottom half of the field. If he rates Gun Runner, West Coast & Collected and others will outfinish him.

Under what circumstance would Sharp Azteca be a play? I'd need at a minimum 15-1 and believe that he'd NOT face any pace pressure until the 2nd call. Neither of those two things are likely.

For me I think there are 5 horses who have a shot to win based on the possible
race shape and class of those running.

Most likely - Gun Runner (offers little value as a win bet)
Serious Players - West Coast & Collected (should be well placed early)
Longshot if race falls apart at huge odds - War Story
The horse I played in 2014 BC Classic at huge odds - Toast of New York

I will include Gunnevera or Stellar Wind to finish 4th rounding out the super.
storyline is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-25-2018, 02:35 PM   #163
Mc990

Quote:
Originally Posted by storyline View Post
I was surprised by the number of favorable posts in support of Sharp Azteca to win this race.

If he tries to wire the field (which is his best chance imo) I think he'll tire badly turning for home and finish in the bottom half of the field. If he rates Gun Runner, West Coast & Collected and others will outfinish him.

Under what circumstance would Sharp Azteca be a play? I'd need at a minimum 15-1 and believe that he'd NOT face any pace pressure until the 2nd call. Neither of those two things are likely.

For me I think there are 5 horses who have a shot to win based on the possible
race shape and class of those running.

Most likely - Gun Runner (offers little value as a win bet)
Serious Players - West Coast & Collected (should be well placed early)
Longshot if race falls apart at huge odds - War Story
The horse I played in 2014 BC Classic at huge odds - Toast of New York

I will include Gunnevera or Stellar Wind to finish 4th rounding out the super.
Sharp Azteca has 2 Ragozin and 3 Thorograph figs that lay over this field (one of them around two turns), plus a few other races that would make him very tough. I think we should stop pretending he's anything other than a serious racehorse. Heck he almost defied the dead rail on BC day to beat battle of midway.

So we have the fastest horse who figures to make the lead/save ground and he's not going to be the favorite. Maybe he fades but I'll take my chances....

Gun Runner figures to be a huge underlay. Maybe he doesn't get bet from the 10 hole but I'm guessing he'll be no more than even money. He's harpooned without a significant figure edge.... no thanks, last time was the time to have him IMO.
Mc990 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-25-2018, 02:44 PM   #164
GMB@BP

Quote:
Originally Posted by cj View Post
Didn't the Classic too?
that was my issue, he should have been second in that race given the setup.
GMB@BP is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-25-2018, 02:46 PM   #165
Robert Fischer
clean money

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mc990 View Post
Sharp Azteca has 2 Ragozin and 3 Thorograph figs that lay over this field (one of them around two turns), plus a few other races that would make him very tough. I think we should stop pretending he's anything other than a serious racehorse. Heck he almost defied the dead rail on BC day to beat battle of midway.

So we have the fastest horse who figures to make the lead/save ground and he's not going to be the favorite. Maybe he fades but I'll take my chances....

Gun Runner figures to be a huge underlay. Maybe he doesn't get bet from the 10 hole but I'm guessing he'll be no more than even money. He's harpooned without a significant figure edge.... no thanks, last time was the time to have him IMO.

Sharp Azteca is pretty much guaranteed an 'opportunity' to win, which is more than you can say for everyone.

Some believe that Navarro and Baffert didn't fire their best shots on Breeder's Cup day, so if that has any truth, could see some improvement from horses like Sharp Azteca and Collected in the stretch.

It's going to take a big performance or some unlucky trips from others to wire this field. He's got a puncher's chance. Odds figure to be fair.

Last edited by Robert Fischer; 01-25-2018 at 02:55 PM.
Robert Fischer is offline   Reply With Quote Reply