Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Handicapping Discussion

Old 08-24-2010, 11:07 AM   #1
jeebus1083

Wind corrections

Dr. Jonas Mureika wrote an interesting (yet complex) piece on treating human sprint times. I wonder how his theories would apply to wind-correcting horse times...

http://arxiv.org/PS_cache/physics/pd.../0102039v1.pdf
jeebus1083 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-24-2010, 02:13 PM   #2
kenwoodall2

"Corrections mean faster official times"

"Corrections mean faster official times" (FOR ALL COMPETITORS). I guess it means something in Quarterhorse racing, where all competitors get timed.
Old 08-24-2010, 03:50 PM   #3
classhandicapper

I don't understand a damn thing about the physics, but clearly this is very applicable to figure making. That goes double for fractional times because in some cases the horse is running with the wind and then against the wind inside the same race.

Thoro-Graph and The Sheets make adjustments for wind, but I can't see how anyone could be totally accurate unless they have equipment all over the track measuring wind velocity and gusts.

I think you more or less have to observe that it's a windy day and then make subjective adjustments based on the records of the horses.
Old 08-24-2010, 03:58 PM   #4
Charlie D

Quote:
Originally Posted by classhandicapper

Thoro-Graph and The Sheets make adjustments for wind, but I can't see how anyone could be totally accurate unless they have equipment all over the track measuring wind velocity and gusts.

Excellent comment.

Timeform also make wind adjustments btw.
Charlie D is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-24-2010, 04:08 PM   #5
46zilzal
velocitician

Gas - X is one of the best for wind correction/reduction..Also Beanno is another one
Old 08-24-2010, 07:26 PM   #6
PaceAdvantage
PA Steward

Quote:
Originally Posted by 46zilzal
Gas - X is one of the best for wind correction/reduction..Also Beanno is another one
Probably best to let Tom handle all of the humor around here from now on...
PaceAdvantage is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-24-2010, 08:20 PM   #7
bisket

somethings i know about adjusting to the wind because i do it for my job all the time. the closer to "ground level"; adjustments are close to nothing for wind speeds below 15-20 mph. which is about 95% of the cases for tracks in the united strates. to be honest its mostly a non-issue. i know some will argue with you until you are blue in the face over this, but its the facts... now when the winds get to a sustained 20 mph than you want to look into it. a word of caution though; anyone who says thay have a formula to adjust times is full of it. adjustments are a variable that changes from 1 second to the next. all i do is take into consideration figs for that particular race are suspect and put a line through them.

when handicapping on a windy day, evenly paced horses are a good bet. they can run their pace with a much higher level of stamina. usually closers and speed are up against it in windy conditions. although if there isn't a headwind in the stretch this actually helps the closers because it brings the field back to them. the wind actually has the affect of a fast pace in these conditions, but many times the closer doesn't have as much ground to make up.
bisket is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-25-2010, 01:47 AM   #8
cj
@TimeformUSfigs

Quote:
Originally Posted by bisket
somethings i know about adjusting to the wind because i blow hot air out my trap
FTFY.
cj is offline   Reply With Quote Reply