Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Racing Discussion

Old 10-15-2017, 12:27 PM   #151
highnote

Quote:
Originally Posted by cj View Post
The complain wasn't about "not lowering" takeouts, it was about raising them. The purses argument was nothing but a not so clever ruse to jack rates up.

As to ADWs, splittling the difference 50/50 means your net takeout still goes up.

I don't remember the numbers, but use this example:

old takeout: 16%
new takeout: 18%
signal fee: 8%
rebate: 4%

I guess "sharing" means Keeneland keeps 1%, ADWs get 1%. So maybe the signal fee is now 9%, it doesn't go up the full two. That is the split. Signal fees did not go down.

ADW has 8% to play with the old way. Now they have 9% to play with. Even if they give players the extra 1%, this happens:

old net takeout: 16 - 4 = 12%
new net takeout: 18 - 5 = 13%

ADWs are going to lose out too with less churn. It is an economic fact. There is no guarantee they are passing the new 1% onto customers, or if they are that they will continue to do so.
I saw the takeout raise as a preemptive move to placate horsemen.

Bottom line is that horseplayers lose if they accept the higher rates.

Horseplayers should bet where they get the lowest effective takeout.

It's all about the money.
highnote is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 10-15-2017, 12:32 PM   #152
cj
@TimeformUSfigs

Quote:
Originally Posted by highnote View Post
I saw the takeout raise as a preemptive move to placate horsemen.

Bottom line is that horseplayers lose if they accept the higher rates.

Horseplayers should bet where they get the lowest effective takeout.

It's all about the money.
We agree about the last three lines.

The first one, nobody was complaining about purses at Keeneland. It wasn't even on the radar. It was just a convenient excuse to raise takeout making the same mistake every other jurisdiction does. They think handle will remain the same and revenue will go up. Sometimes it does short term, and it may very well here, but it will be a loser long term. It always is. And when that happens, purses will go down, not up. It happens every time.

What also happens is you lose customers that don't come back.
cj is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 10-15-2017, 01:35 PM   #153
cj
@TimeformUSfigs

Keeneland arguing meet is great for horseplayers because of high average payout. They must think horseplayers are idiots.

Old 10-15-2017, 02:43 PM   #154
GMB@BP

Quote:
Keeneland arguing meet is great for horseplayers because of high average payout. They must think horseplayers are idiots.

https://twitter.com/TVG/status/919607228872646657
Deep down many of them think just like Jeff Mullins.....at least he had the balls to say it.
GMB@BP is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 10-15-2017, 04:26 PM   #155
highnote

Quote:
the track mgmt point of view is that larger purses will attract more horsemen. More horsemen means more horses. More horses means a more popular betting event. And that means an increase in handle.

They might be right. Big bettors who get rebates are not going to boycott. In fact, big bettors benefit by the boycott because there is more dumb money in the pools when semi-serious players don't bet. Recreational horseplayers are not going to boycott. They probably don't even know there is a boycott. The only players boycotting are the semi-serious ones.

Ultimately, track mgmt decision is driven by their belief that they have to appeal to the needs of the horsemen. They know that cutting rates in order to raise handle and use the extra handle to fund purses is not a popular strategy with horsemen. Horsemen and track mgmt are more comfortable raising takeout in order to fund purses.

Last edited by highnote; 10-15-2017 at 04:28 PM.
Old 10-15-2017, 05:32 PM   #156
cj
@TimeformUSfigs

Quote:
the track mgmt point of view is that larger purses will attract more horsemen. More horsemen means more horses. More horses means a more popular betting event. And that means an increase in handle.

They might be right. Big bettors who get rebates are not going to boycott. In fact, big bettors benefit by the boycott because there is more dumb money in the pools when semi-serious players don't bet. Recreational horseplayers are not going to boycott. They probably don't even know there is a boycott. The only players boycotting are the semi-serious ones.

Ultimately, track mgmt decision is driven by their belief that they have to appeal to the needs of the horsemen. They know that cutting rates in order to raise handle and use the extra handle to fund purses is not a popular strategy with horsemen. Horsemen and track mgmt are more comfortable raising takeout in order to fund purses.
But they aren't right. We've seen it over and over again. Purses don't drive field size, and they don't drive betting. If anything, bigger purses hurt field size.

I don't know what in the world you are talking about at there is more dumb money in the pools if semi-serious players don't bet. There may be a higher percentage of money, but there is less money to divy up among the sharks. You can only bet so much and that gets smaller as pool size shrinks.

I also disagree that big bettors aren't boycotting. I know for a fact some are not playing Keeneland this meet that usually do.

Last edited by cj; 10-15-2017 at 05:38 PM.
Old 10-15-2017, 06:01 PM   #157
highnote

Quote:
But they aren't right. We've seen it over and over again. Purses don't drive field size, and they don't drive betting. If anything, bigger purses hurt field size.
From track mgmt point of view purse size drives field size.

Quote:
I don't know what in the world you are talking about at there is more dumb money in the pools if semi-serious players don't bet. There may be a higher percentage of money, but there is less money to divy up among the sharks. You can only bet so much and that gets smaller as pool size shrinks.
Correct. On a percentage basis. I should have been more specific. For bettors still betting Keeneland it should be easier to win.

Quote:
I also disagree that big bettors aren't boycotting. I know for a fact some are not playing Keeneland this meet that usually do.
some might be boycotting. Hard to know everyone who is boycotting. Game theory. Some could say they are boycotting even if they are not.
Old 10-15-2017, 07:16 PM   #158
cj
@TimeformUSfigs

I don't think it would be easier to win, because on a percentage basis the "whale" percentage of money in the pool is going up in your scenario...not down.
Old 10-15-2017, 09:01 PM   #159
highnote

Quote:
I don't think it would be easier to win, because on a percentage basis the "whale" percentage of money in the pool is going up in your scenario...not down.
You're right that it will not be easier for the dumb money bettors to win.

I have been talking it being easier to win for big bettors who get rebates.

For big bettors who get rebates and are still betting at keeneland it should be easier for them to win since the semi-serious players may be boycotting. That is, there will be less competition from semi-serious bettors.

If big bettors who are getting rebates are also boycotting then it will be easier still for those big bettors who are getting rebates who are still betting at keeneland to win at keeneland.

And the reason is because the percentage of dumb money in the pool may have increased due to the lack of semi-serious players and big bettors with rebates who are boycotting.

Of course, this is all supposition. Who can say for sure?
Old 10-15-2017, 09:42 PM   #160
cj
@TimeformUSfigs

Those average payouts though!

Last edited by cj; 10-15-2017 at 09:44 PM.
Old 10-15-2017, 10:08 PM   #161
highnote

Quote:
Those average payouts though!
Correct me if I'm wrong, but just because average payouts are higher does not mean the amount of money being won is greater. The track payback is only 83%. They can't payout more than the track payback.

Also the chances of a horse with 10 to 1 odds winning in a 12 horse race is the same as a 10 to 1 shot in a 6 horse race.
Old 10-15-2017, 10:12 PM   #162
cj
@TimeformUSfigs

Quote:
Correct me if I'm wrong, but just because average payouts are higher does not mean the amount of money being won is greater. The track payback is only 83%. They can't payout more than the track payback.

Also the chances of a horse with 10 to 1 odds winning in a 12 horse race is the same as a 10 to 1 shot in a 6 horse race.
Of course, Keeneland is just throwing out a red herring to make the product sound great. That is what the video I posted was referencing.

The example I used was if every race had 20 horses and takeout was 30%, average payout would be even higher.
Old 10-16-2017, 12:10 PM   #163
PaceAdvantage
PA Steward

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReplayRandall View Post
Never mind, I figured it out by your non-reply......
For the record, I would have ignored your (rather silly) question as well.
PaceAdvantage is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 10-16-2017, 02:21 PM   #164
Jeff P

Location: JCapper Platinum: Kind of like Deep Blue... but for horses.
Quote:
Here they are touting their "successful meet" because of the big average payouts...

But wouldn't their average payouts be even bigger without the takeout increase?

The irony.

-jp

Last edited by Jeff P; 10-16-2017 at 02:33 PM.
Jeff P is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 10-16-2017, 03:09 PM   #165
cj
@TimeformUSfigs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff P View Post
Here they are touting their "successful meet" because of the big average payouts...

But wouldn't their average payouts be even bigger without the takeout increase?

The irony.

-jp

As funny (sort of) is the average payouts were higher on polytrack. You know, if the goal was higher payouts, why go back to dirt? LOL.