Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Racing Discussion

Old 08-31-2022, 09:15 AM   #31
Trackjudge

RTN experience

I have been a RTN Satellite feed subscriber for many years as we had no cable or wired internet available until last week.

My satellite dish plus a big TV antenna gives me all I need, plus the RTN feed is high quality, and free of the needless commentary of a TVG or similar feed between the races, as well as seeing a race you want in delayed time if you are not watching the prime TVG track that day.

The amazing thing is the cost to get the same channels I now get on the satellite would be double the satellite feed cost if I were to switch to cable tv.

Keeneland has a live feed starting early in the morning of the home stretch during race days.
Just one camera showing whatever is happening during training hours.

It is quite peaceful to do my morning work in my home office and look up at the horses training on my big screen tv.

I wish NYRA would do the same during Saratoga season, but all they show is a rotating feed of ads.

RTN info here:

https://www.rtn.tv/

tv dish info:
https://www.rtn.tv/package-tv.aspx

online internet info:

https://www.rtn.tv/package-online.aspx

Internet works out to be cheaper if you want a small choice of tracks. The satellite feed is $50 on top of a minimal Dish network subscription. The satellite feed is all tracks unlimited.

I have no affiliation with them.

Last edited by Trackjudge; 08-31-2022 at 09:22 AM.
Trackjudge is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-01-2022, 07:19 AM   #32
pandy

This is a smart move by TVG. I personally think that sports betting is helping horse betting. The younger generation bets sports and some of them are noticing the horses because of the sports tie in. For example, people who don't normally bet the horses will turn on TVG to watch the sports analysis and be introduced to racing.
pandy is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-01-2022, 08:46 AM   #33
SharpCat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trackjudge View Post
Internet works out to be cheaper if you want a small choice of tracks. The satellite feed is $50 on top of a minimal Dish network subscription. The satellite feed is all tracks unlimited.

I have no affiliation with them.
RTN is much cheaper if you get the online package. It's $275 for annual subscription with all tracks and race replays. If you want just thoroughbred tracks, it's $165. You're looking at $600 just for RTN threw Dish Network.

I decided to stick with the track feeds from Twinspires as there are some tracks RTN does not carry. I can do up to 8 track feeds on my 32in 4k monitor. I'm going to add a 2nd monitor so I can make each track feed a little bigger.
SharpCat is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-01-2022, 12:17 PM   #34
The Arbiter

The changeover happened today.

At 10am they aired 'More Ways to Win', a sports betting analysis show. It was fully branded as Fanduel TV. The hosts opened with some talk about how they were excited to be launching this new 24/7 sports gambling network etc etc. The show then focused on analysis of NFL bets.

At 11am they aired a 'sizzle reel' of many landmark horse racing moments that have happened in the TVG era. It was about ten minutes along and quite nice. Then they went to Ken and Matt in the studio, which I gather were the same two who were on screen when TVG itself was launched. They also exclaim their excitement of launching this new network, but they also talked about their love of horse racing and what was so great about the sport. Clearly they were extending an olive branch to people who had tuned in for the sports gambling show.

After that prelude, it's been business as usual. As I type this, they are previewing Kentucky Downs races.

The biggest change so far (other than the scheduling obviously) is that there is a pretty big 'ticker' at the bottom of the screen that is constantly cycling through sports betting lines. Some will likely be annoyed at this.

Last edited by The Arbiter; 09-01-2022 at 12:30 PM.
The Arbiter is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-01-2022, 05:13 PM   #35
WJ47

I don't like it, but I'm sure I'll get used to it. I hate change.

But yesterday, I tried to call TVG and there was a recording that said due to the Covid 19 pandemic, their employees are working from home. They said I needed to chat or send them an email.
WJ47 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-01-2022, 05:22 PM   #36
Trackjudge

RTN cost

I agree RTN is cheaper through the internet.

Until literally last week, I did not have the internet option so we did not have that avenue to get RTN.

I need to check out the internet feed and compare to the satellite feed, might change over.
Trackjudge is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-01-2022, 05:26 PM   #37
ScottJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by WJ47 View Post
I don't like it, but I'm sure I'll get used to it. I hate change.

But yesterday, I tried to call TVG and there was a recording that said due to the Covid 19 pandemic, their employees are working from home. They said I needed to chat or send them an email.
Keep the money in the game. Stop pushing your dollars to TVG and sign-up with an ADW directly tied to a racetrack. Directly support the purses and the horsepeople.
ScottJ is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-01-2022, 05:30 PM   #38
ScottJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by pandy View Post
This is a smart move by TVG. I personally think that sports betting is helping horse betting.
That's an opinion - where are the facts and figures, pandy? Watching the Meadowlands harness handle, are you convinced that their sports wagering program is helping the harness handle?

Quote:
Originally Posted by pandy View Post
The younger generation bets sports and some of them are noticing the horses because of the sports tie in. For example, people who don't normally bet the horses will turn on TVG to watch the sports analysis and be introduced to racing.
Younger generation just "turning on" TVG? This is a complete oxymoron. The generation that cannot put their phones down is suddenly grabbing their remote for TVG television? You could not be misreading this situation any more deeply.
ScottJ is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-01-2022, 06:57 PM   #39
stlseeeek

once hrtv was done, we were all screwed, having to go back to the horrible tvg.

now it gets even worse.

Horse racing and track owners are the dumbest of any sport. They put their feeds behind pay walls and channels few get. So betors will go else where to bet, or even better sports.

The feeds should be on a channel all tv packages get, regardless of tiers.

You could watch and bet all the cali tracks, then they went stupid and put behind a pay wall and roberts. way to alienate bettors.
stlseeeek is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-01-2022, 08:16 PM   #40
horsefan2019

Can't see them having enough money to bid for actual sports rights that people care about. It will probably still mostly have horse racing content because the rights are cheap and inexpensive. So the rebranded FanDuel will just have shows about betting lines and there isn't enough general interest for them to have shows all day about that.
horsefan2019 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-01-2022, 09:56 PM   #41
BarchCapper

I have to admit I was pleasantly surprised this morning. I watch a lot of international racing. In the past the TVG2 channel just mirrored the TVG channel in the mornings until all the US racing got going.

I was watching TVG (hadn't yet rebranded on Roku) and right before 9 AM Eastern they were showing them getting ready to start a race at Sedgefield in the UK. At 9, instead of staying with the race, they switched to Caleb Keller and a UK presenter from the studios, where they proceeded to TALK about the racing we'd be seeing on the main channel from Haydock and Salisbury (sounded like ONLY those).

But to my amazement when I tried switching to TVG2 (soon to be branded FanDuel Racing), I was getting all the UK tracks and the French racing. It was totally different content. So I have a little more hope than I did before for what I'm interested in.

I use RTN for all my US based racewatching.
BarchCapper is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-02-2022, 09:20 AM   #42
castaway01

People on here have complained literally since its inception about all the ways TVG goes wrong. Now they're updating their focus and people are complaining about the changes. Of course they are.

TVG has always catered to a "casual" racing fan and that annoys the hardcore gamblers. I'm not sure what other choice they've ever had though. If you don't turn casual fans into everyday bettors, you don't have much of a future. I agree with Pandy that making horse racing seem part of the modern gambling world rather an outdated relic is the way to go. It's not as if sports gamblers being exposed to horse racing will make them bet LESS.
castaway01 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-02-2022, 09:54 AM   #43
elhelmete

Quote:
Originally Posted by stlseeeek View Post
once hrtv was done, we were all screwed, having to go back to the horrible tvg.

now it gets even worse.

Horse racing and track owners are the dumbest of any sport. They put their feeds behind pay walls and channels few get. So betors will go else where to bet, or even better sports.

The feeds should be on a channel all tv packages get, regardless of tiers.

You could watch and bet all the cali tracks, then they went stupid and put behind a pay wall and roberts. way to alienate bettors.
Cable companies control what channels get on what tiers and at what cost.
elhelmete is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-02-2022, 10:08 AM   #44
horsefan2019

I was expecting major changes to the programming but it looks the same as when it was under TVG branding. Other than the ticker on the bottom which got bigger to show to the betting lines. I'm guessing those alternative sports programming is for those dark days when there isn't much racing to show.

Last edited by horsefan2019; 09-02-2022 at 10:15 AM.
horsefan2019 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-02-2022, 10:27 AM   #45
Cutter14

RTN

Thank goodness for RTN--goodbye TVG-As a person that used to bet all sports I have no desire to watch TVG anymore that pushes it in your face---To me their horse racing picks sucked 90% of the time and now they are going to give you tons of losing picks in other sports- just my take---
Cutter14 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: