Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Racing Discussion

Old 09-09-2021, 04:45 PM   #1
westernmassbob

Best handicapping shows out there past/present

I miss the “regular guy” handicapping show at River Downs. There was a guy named Jody on that show that crushed some decent priced winners. The host was named John. I wonder where these guys ended up? The show was great because they never bombarded the audience with information. They kept it simple and focused on equipment changes which IMO is a huge consistent angle. They also included old wives tales kind of angles which some seem to have been proven tried and true over the years. Examples would be : only horse in a sloppy race with a tail tie and horses with longer distance workouts but racing in a shorter distance. I always remember one of them talking about long shot winners. He made an excellent point that if a long shot in a race wins it usually means there was a trouble line or excuse for the top favorites. Handicapping bad trips or anomaly’s throughout a race is virtually impossible but can be incorporated in some cases.
westernmassbob is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-09-2021, 05:47 PM   #2
BarchCapper

Quote:
Originally Posted by westernmassbob View Post
I miss the “regular guy” handicapping show at River Downs. There was a guy named Jody on that show that crushed some decent priced winners. The host was named John. I wonder where these guys ended up?
John Englehardt ("Racing's Regular Guy") does a weekly podcast called "Winning Ponies". (He also does a picks service.) Sometimes the podcast can feel like just a push for the picks service, but he does get some good interviews sometimes.

https://www.winningponies.com

is the website with a link to the podcast, but you can probably just find the podcast itself on your podcast player.
BarchCapper is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-13-2021, 02:49 PM   #3
mountainman

You might get more response to (yet another) "favorite announcer?" thread. With the noted exception of that poor guy now retired from Tampa, they seem much more popular than analysts.

For one thing, horseplayers don't see announcers as competition in the handicapping arena. For another, many handicappers consider THEMSELVES the final authority on assessing horse races. And, of course, being presented on tv as an "expert" goes a loooong way towards engendering resentment and skepticism. Especially from such a cynical lot as horseplayers. And then there is the unfortunate truth that a good analyst must, from time to time, knock things, whereas an announcer can keep it pure Pollyanna. And this also widens the popularity gap in some (owners!!!!! trainers!!!! jocks!!!! It is RIDICULOUSLY easy for announcers to cultivate popularity with these groups.) circles.

Race callers, however, exhibiting a practiced skill that handicappers are not trained at, have things teed up for more favorable reviews-in proportion, of course, to their respective talents. No matter that many callers have worked for decades at developing their craft-lots of players still hold them in awe, adhering to the (completely inapplicable) "hey, I couldn't do THAT !" line of reasoning. Conversely, tons of handicappers watch televised analysis and firmly believe they could do it better.

The bottom line? Praise and respect for thoroughbred announcers costs handicappers zero. It can simply be plucked from the ether. But props to an analyst sometimes must be extracted from the player's own ego.

Last edited by mountainman; 09-13-2021 at 03:02 PM.
mountainman is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-13-2021, 04:33 PM   #4
Zman179
Registered Wacko

If I found an on-screen handicapper to be entertaining and informative, it would often lead me to take a closer look at the product that I normally wouldn’t have bet on.
With that being said, I totally agree with the Regular Guy as being a very good show and I also enjoy the Mountaineer program (not trying to butter your bread, Mark, I’ve always enjoyed your show.) I’ve also enjoyed in the past the Philadelphia Park Live show which was a trailblazer as well as Fred Lipkin and John Bogar on Racing Alive (Penn National) whom had a very good rapport. For the ontrack audience at Santa Anita the radio station KWIN had a lot of good handicapping information and very good tidbits from Trevor Denman (like when a horse breaks through the starting gate and has to reload, 99% of the time he’s a loser. Never forgot that.)
Zman179 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-13-2021, 05:21 PM   #5
Milkshaker

Back in the 1990s, Fred Lipkin and John Bogar at Penn were VERY informative and entertaining in what was pretty much a bare-bones presentation.

Lipkin would impart read-between-the-lines gems like "So-and-so owner is in the paddock today up from Delaware, and we don't often see him here wearing a sportcoat."

(As in: Pay attention. This guy thinks he could be getting his photo taken in the winner's circle tonight.)

Fred was correct often enough about such revelations to merit my attention when he said something like that.

Last edited by Milkshaker; 09-13-2021 at 05:22 PM.
Milkshaker is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-13-2021, 05:53 PM   #6
Maximillion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Milkshaker View Post
Back in the 1990s, Fred Lipkin and John Bogar at Penn were VERY informative and entertaining in what was pretty much a bare-bones presentation.

Lipkin would impart read-between-the-lines gems like "So-and-so owner is in the paddock today up from Delaware, and we don't often see him here wearing a sportcoat."

(As in: Pay attention. This guy thinks he could be getting his photo taken in the winner's circle tonight.)

Fred was correct often enough about such revelations to merit my attention when he said something like that.
I only really listen in at Penn when I have a bet coming up in a race-which is probably only a handful of times each week. Bogar does make some good selections and he kind of quietly does his thing.
Maximillion is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-13-2021, 10:41 PM   #7
v j stauffer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mountainman View Post
You might get more response to (yet another) "favorite announcer?" thread. With the noted exception of that poor guy now retired from Tampa, they seem much more popular than analysts.

For one thing, horseplayers don't see announcers as competition in the handicapping arena. For another, many handicappers consider THEMSELVES the final authority on assessing horse races. And, of course, being presented on tv as an "expert" goes a loooong way towards engendering resentment and skepticism. Especially from such a cynical lot as horseplayers. And then there is the unfortunate truth that a good analyst must, from time to time, knock things, whereas an announcer can keep it pure Pollyanna. And this also widens the popularity gap in some (owners!!!!! trainers!!!! jocks!!!! It is RIDICULOUSLY easy for announcers to cultivate popularity with these groups.) circles.

Race callers, however, exhibiting a practiced skill that handicappers are not trained at, have things teed up for more favorable reviews-in proportion, of course, to their respective talents. No matter that many callers have worked for decades at developing their craft-lots of players still hold them in awe, adhering to the (completely inapplicable) "hey, I couldn't do THAT !" line of reasoning. Conversely, tons of handicappers watch televised analysis and firmly believe they could do it better.

The bottom line? Praise and respect for thoroughbred announcers costs handicappers zero. It can simply be plucked from the ether. But props to an analyst sometimes must be extracted from the player's own ego.
I do a 60 minute handicapping show every racing day. Then switch to the announcers booth. Where does that place me?
Old 09-13-2021, 10:55 PM   #8
ReplayRandall
Buckle Up

Quote:
Originally Posted by v j stauffer View Post
I do a 60 minute handicapping show every racing day. Then switch to the announcers booth. Where does that place me?
In the humble and modest column....
ReplayRandall is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-13-2021, 11:00 PM   #9
mountainman

Quote:
Originally Posted by v j stauffer View Post
I'm not sure if your unique "hybrid" status over-qualifies or disqualifies you in speaking to my post. Not sure at all.

Last edited by mountainman; 09-13-2021 at 11:04 PM.
Old 09-13-2021, 11:02 PM   #10
ReplayRandall
Buckle Up

Quote:
In a position to give pertinent feedback.
You sound a bit edgy tonight....Everything alright or did someone get under your skin?
Old 09-13-2021, 11:10 PM   #11
mountainman

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReplayRandall View Post
You sound a bit edgy tonight....Everything alright or did someone get under your skin?
Do you mean here or on the show?
Old 09-13-2021, 11:15 PM   #12
ReplayRandall
Buckle Up

Quote:
Do you mean here or on the show?
Either, both....
Old 09-13-2021, 11:19 PM   #13
mountainman

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReplayRandall View Post
Either, both....
Here, no. Vic and I are friends. And my post was intended to stimulate debate. On the show? Yes. I am not happy with some people at work. I had no idea it showed on air. But I'm edgy by nature. And then some, Randy. I'm just very experienced at harnessing it. Some say I am mad at the world, sir. Constantly. Inwardly.

Last edited by mountainman; 09-13-2021 at 11:23 PM.
Old 09-13-2021, 11:37 PM   #14
v j stauffer

Quote:
Here, no. Vic and I are friends. And my post was intended to stimulate debate. On the show? Yes. I am not happy with some people at work. I had no idea it showed on air. But I'm edgy by nature. And then some, Randy. I'm just very experienced at harnessing it. Some say I am mad at the world, sir. Constantly. Inwardly.
Indeed we are friends.
Old 09-13-2021, 11:38 PM   #15
ReplayRandall
Buckle Up

Quote:
It's near impossible to suffer fools gladly in this current world, so I just continue to speak boldly and let the chips fall where they may.

Ultimately, MAJOR changes are coming in all facets of life....I'm ready and I hope you are too.

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: