Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Handicapping Discussion

Old 09-21-2011, 04:37 PM   #1
maryforney
Horse Racing Blogger

Santa Anita offering Pick 5 with 14% takeout

Santa Anita to offer popular Players' Pick 5 wager with low 14% takeout

It's nice to be posting good news from Santa Anita!
maryforney is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-26-2011, 10:16 AM   #2
BetPTC

Excellent news on a popular new wager
U.S. licensed and regulated in the state of Oregon
Over $300 Million in wagers handled since 2007
Online and phone wagering on over 180 tracks
1-877-880-0588

The only ADW offering same-day, instant cash back on wagers.
BetPTC is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-26-2011, 01:23 PM   #3
levinmpa

After having their handle suffered terribly due to the horseplayer boycott last Winter/Spring, can you imagine the heat they would have taken had they not offered the Players Pick 5. I realize the wretched TOC ties the hands of racetracks in California, but why stop at 14%, why not offer 12% to try to win back some of the players they lost earlier in the year.
levinmpa is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-28-2011, 10:46 AM   #4
Fingal

I believe I heard on one of the racing radio shows out here that they are being like Del Mar & having no consolation payout.
Fingal is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-28-2011, 11:08 AM   #5
andymays
Veteran

Field size is pretty good.

http://www.drf.com/race-entries/SA/USA/2011-09-30/D
andymays is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-28-2011, 11:55 AM   #6
cj
@TimeformUSfigs

Quote:
Originally Posted by andymays
Mostly the maiden races. We'll see how it is going next week. They always get big fields after Fairplex closes, but you know that already.
cj is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-28-2011, 01:24 PM   #7
andymays
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by cj
Mostly the maiden races. We'll see how it is going next week. They always get big fields after Fairplex closes, but you know that already.
I'm more curious to see if they got the surface right this time. I understand that it's slower which is a good thing.
Old 09-28-2011, 04:27 PM   #8
duncan04
Let's go Reds!!

Quote:
I'm more curious to see if they got the surface right this time. I understand that it's slower which is a good thing.

hoping they have. Has anyone heard anything?
duncan04 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-28-2011, 05:40 PM   #9
andymays
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by duncan04
hoping they have. Has anyone heard anything?
It's getting good reviews so far. We'll know the truth after the weekend is over.

Interesting promotion on the 15th. Golfers Gamble.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aCe_W...layer_embedded

Last edited by andymays; 09-28-2011 at 05:43 PM.
Old 09-29-2011, 02:58 AM   #10
trying2win

Quote:
Originally Posted by levinmpa
why stop at 14%, why not offer 12% to try to win back some of the players they lost earlier in the year.
If Santa Anita wants to really make a difference for horseplayers, I'd recommend extending the reduced takeout of 14% to all types of bets for the rest of this year, and not to just a pick 5, needle-in-a-haystack type wager. If Santa Anita did that kind of thing, I'd predict their parimutuel handle would soar dramatically.

Frankie S. seems to think the 5-horse, 6-horse and higher type gimmick wagers are what most players want. All that accomplishes is more losing players. Hello Frankie! Take some tips from many longtime, brilliant horseplayers at this site. Listen to what THEY want, and not what you or some overpaid consultant thinks what horseplayers want. That would mean following universal principles, Frankie...like 'ASK AND YOU SHALL BE GIVEN' and 'GIVE AND YOU SHALL RECEIVE' and your bottom line will improve a lot better. I'm amazed at how often racetrack executives ignore universal principles like that.

T2W
------------------------------------------------------------------------

~"Common sense is the knack of seeing things as they are, and doing things as they ought to be done."

--C.E. Stowe

Last edited by trying2win; 09-29-2011 at 03:01 AM.
trying2win is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-29-2011, 08:15 AM   #11
andymays
Veteran

Lowering the takeout to 14% or 12% across the board is impossible. You have to remember that they make the most money from on track wagers, then in state satellite wagers. They make much less from out of state ADW wagers than people think. When you consider that a big part of the percentage goes to purses it gets pretty thin. Then the track has expenses.

Before this year I thought they could lower the takeout to those levels as well. The Tracks are losing their asses out here. It's been purses up and handle down all year. Del Mar is still doing well because they make a ton of money from concessions and concerts.
Old 09-29-2011, 02:58 PM   #12
cj
@TimeformUSfigs

Is there any chance at all California tracks will move into the 90s at least and start providing PPs with program numbers and morning lines more than about 24 hours in advance?
cj is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-29-2011, 03:13 PM   #13
jelly
Veteran

Quote:
Lowering the takeout to 14% or 12% across the board is impossible. You have to remember that they make the most money from on track wagers, then in state satellite wagers. They make much less from out of state ADW wagers than people think. When you consider that a big part of the percentage goes to purses it gets pretty thin. Then the track has expenses.

Before this year I thought they could lower the takeout to those levels as well. The Tracks are losing their asses out here. It's been purses up and handle down all year. Del Mar is still doing well because they make a ton of money from concessions and concerts.

You could if you had slots?
jelly is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-29-2011, 03:20 PM   #14
andymays
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by cj
Is there any chance at all California tracks will move into the 90s at least and start providing PPs with program numbers and morning lines more than about 24 hours in advance?
They do provide free programs online and the DRF PP's have program numbers in them. Not sure what you mean.

They are late with the programs because of the difficulty filling fields. There's no end in sight for that.
Old 09-29-2011, 03:21 PM   #15
andymays
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by jelly
You could if you had slots?
Not that low but yes they could lower it significantly if they had slots.