Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > Handicapper's Corner

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average.
Old 08-22-2012, 02:54 PM   #91
Solid_Gold
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by castaway01
You caught "mutitudes of shit" because you would pick horses 1, 2, 3 and 4, then after the race come back and then us how you'd actually bet the 4 and, hey look, the 4 won! People called you on it, and you kept doing the same song and dance about how you bet based on odds. Umm, yeah, we all do, but your posts proved nothing. And you've posted the same crap 100 times about how you don't want to show your secret selection process. No one cares. I think most of us just wanted you to stop bragging about how your pretend picks were winning. It's just aggravating to hear from yet another unappreciated genius selector because those of us who've been here for a while have heard it all before.
Castaway, I appreciate your concern but don't recall ever touting my results unless provoked into doing so. I think most of the appreciation was from others, rather than me!

Again let me say for the 1000th time, where do post your selections?
Dude, just grow a pair and make some picks so everyone can see what you do or don't know before condemning others!
Solid_Gold is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-22-2012, 11:12 PM   #92
Elliott Sidewater

worst mistake(s)

This is an opinion only (everyone has one....), but I think that going crazy and betting 10 times or 100 times what you normally bet, on Breeders Cup races, the Ky Derby undercard, Claiming Crown, Sunshine Millions, Pacific Classic, Epsom Derby or the Arc de Triomphe because you think there's a lot of dumb money in the pools is as fine an example of self delusion at the racetrack as one could dream up. Yes, some of these races are bettable and sometimes there are legitimate overlays - nothing wrong with selectively playing those. But to lay in wait, to plan your entire year around a BIG RACE DAY and deploy $2500 or more when you're a twenty dollar bettor is just crazy. Just because it sometimes works for Steve Davidowitz doesn't mean it will work for me or you. He runs a syndicate that buys big coverage in the multi-race jackpot pools; you and I don't.

It's no different than wanting to climb Mt Everest because it's there. It's a parimutuel version of an alcoholic's relapse.

Remember last year's Breeder's Cup.....................?? Reading some of the PA board post mortem posts was a sad and sobering drill.
Elliott Sidewater is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-23-2012, 12:01 AM   #93
riskman

Quote:
Originally Posted by nat1223
playing the horses to begin with
Why are you here?
Old 08-23-2012, 05:56 AM   #94
Stillriledup
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elliott Sidewater
This is an opinion only (everyone has one....), but I think that going crazy and betting 10 times or 100 times what you normally bet, on Breeders Cup races, the Ky Derby undercard, Claiming Crown, Sunshine Millions, Pacific Classic, Epsom Derby or the Arc de Triomphe because you think there's a lot of dumb money in the pools is as fine an example of self delusion at the racetrack as one could dream up. Yes, some of these races are bettable and sometimes there are legitimate overlays - nothing wrong with selectively playing those. But to lay in wait, to plan your entire year around a BIG RACE DAY and deploy $2500 or more when you're a twenty dollar bettor is just crazy. Just because it sometimes works for Steve Davidowitz doesn't mean it will work for me or you. He runs a syndicate that buys big coverage in the multi-race jackpot pools; you and I don't.

It's no different than wanting to climb Mt Everest because it's there. It's a parimutuel version of an alcoholic's relapse.

Remember last year's Breeder's Cup.....................?? Reading some of the PA board post mortem posts was a sad and sobering drill.
This is a super post, you're spot on about this.

I gear up for the big days because i feel that its my only real chance to win some of that 'recreational' money laying around, like you said, its a bad mindset to have. I've had my ups and downs on huge days, but i havent nearly been as successful on those days as i would have liked. I've done better on the undercards than i've done on the actual big race of that day, whether it was the Preakness or Derby or something like that.

The bottom line remains that no matter how much weekend money is in the pools, you still have to pick the winners.....and in those races, its much harder to pick a winner.
Stillriledup is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-23-2012, 01:44 PM   #95
castaway01

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stillriledup
This is a super post, you're spot on about this.

I gear up for the big days because i feel that its my only real chance to win some of that 'recreational' money laying around, like you said, its a bad mindset to have. I've had my ups and downs on huge days, but i havent nearly been as successful on those days as i would have liked. I've done better on the undercards than i've done on the actual big race of that day, whether it was the Preakness or Derby or something like that.

The bottom line remains that no matter how much weekend money is in the pools, you still have to pick the winners.....and in those races, its much harder to pick a winner.
It's very hard to make broad statements, but I'll try anyway. I'd say if you're talking about Triple Crown days you're dealing with mostly U.S. horses and it's not nearly as hard to win, but the prices aren't nearly as good. If I could give any advice, and I can because this is a message board, I'd say on Breeders Cup days take a shot spreading and try to hit a big one, and you only have to be right every 5 years or so to maintain bragging rights and have fun with it. I'm by far the best bettor on this site, but there have been a bunch of times I've hit a good-priced Euro that most overlooked. Of course now that everyone has started to look for the Euros, you'll do better betting U.S. horses. Sadly, no hard and fast rules. If you want to have fun though, these days are the days to do it. You could hit a $1 tri and pick up $2000, then worry about betting intelligently the other 364 days of the year. I'm editing this to add that doesn't mean to bet MORE than other days, just to have fun watching the great racing and swing at the fences (because they are closer than normal).

Last edited by castaway01; 08-23-2012 at 01:46 PM.
castaway01 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-23-2012, 02:35 PM   #96
castaway01

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solid_Gold
Castaway, I appreciate your concern but don't recall ever touting my results unless provoked into doing so. I think most of the appreciation was from others, rather than me!

Again let me say for the 1000th time, where do post your selections?
Dude, just grow a pair and make some picks so everyone can see what you do or don't know before condemning others!
I never bragged about being a genius selector or my profits. You did. Your profits and picks were fiction. Hence, you are ball-free, or testicle-less, or whatever term a simpleton like you can comprehend. When I brag about all my wagering profits, like you did, then I'll post some picks. To me you're just a troll, and I called you out as one. Rather than defend your bullshit picks, your response was "where do you post your selections"? By your standards, I have to be president before I can criticize the president? Go over to off topic, argue that out, and then get back to me.

As I offered before, if you want to set this up with PA or CJ as monitors, I'll gladly book your bets. You make 100 before the race bets on one horse, then send me your losses, er, we'll pay off after that's over. Do it on this board. How about this---either agree to show your balls or just stop posting. I want to add, I want $100 to win each race on your 100 posts. That way I can help pay for my kid's day care. I know you're too much of a pussy (itamaraca uses it, so I'm sure it's okay) to do so, but if you're not you set it up and I'll pay you off when you win your thousands.

Last edited by castaway01; 08-23-2012 at 02:40 PM.
castaway01 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-24-2012, 01:53 PM   #97
Solid_Gold
Veteran

I still do not recall bragging about any winners? If asked or provoked maybe?
I do not/will not brag or bitch about any wagers I do or do not cash unless asked or provoked. You haters got the wrong info.
Solid_Gold is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-24-2012, 02:49 PM   #98
tbwinner

Quote:
I never bragged about being a genius selector or my profits. You did.
No, you just insert side comments into your posts like this:

Quote:
I'm by far the best bettor on this site
tbwinner is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-27-2012, 01:23 AM   #99
MutuelClerk

Having worked in mutuel ( not mutual) departments for over thirty years I feel qualified in answering this question. Wow, where to start. This is what I see all the time.

1. Leaving ways to lose. 9 horse field. Bettor plays 12-12- 34567 leaving out the 8 and 9 often at longs odds. SAVING 4.00. Genius. The two horses you actually want to run third you leave off your ticket. On value alone you have to play ALL for third if you use that many horses.

2. Karma. You punch a bad 2.00 ticket at a SAM machine or bet with a clerk. DO NOT cancel your ticket. Things happen for a reason.

3. Discipline. Five percent or less have it.

4. Being loud, drawing attention to yourself. Not smart. There's alot of people at the track these days with no interest in horses. JUst looking to scam. Why draw attention to yourself?

5. Maybe most important. Value. Value. Value. Hard to find with what's skimmed off the top. Betting into big pools you get paid off alot better. Play pick 4's. Playing for .50 really lets you spread out. If a few bombs hit, it can lead to nice payoffs.

When I started at the track years ago wayyyyyy before simulcasting i was told you can beat one race but you cant beat the races. I think that still holds true.
MutuelClerk is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-27-2012, 07:28 AM   #100
thaskalos

Is this post meant to be taken seriously?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MutuelClerk
Having worked in mutuel ( not mutual) departments for over thirty years I feel qualified in answering this question. Wow, where to start. This is what I see all the time.

1. Leaving ways to lose. 9 horse field. Bettor plays 12-12- 34567 leaving out the 8 and 9 often at longs odds. SAVING 4.00. Genius. The two horses you actually want to run third you leave off your ticket. On value alone you have to play ALL for third if you use that many horses.
"Value" doesn't mean including every single horse in your trifecta tickets. The guy who bets 1-2/1-2 in the first two legs of the trifecta had better learn how to handle losing races...because he is going to lose a ton of them. You form your trifecta bets according to your handicapping opinion...not according to your wishes for getting "lucky" by including every horse in the race.

2. Karma. You punch a bad 2.00 ticket at a SAM machine or bet with a clerk. DO NOT cancel your ticket. Things happen for a reason.
Let's see...You are a mutuel clerk, who is suggesting that we KEEP the tickets that clerks give us by mistake...because of the workings of the laws of "karma".

We hear this one a lot, and I guess it can't hurt much if the ticket is only $2...but what if the mistake is made with a $50 bet? Don't the laws of karma still apply then?

3. Discipline. Five percent or less have it.
Yes...only five percent or less have it.

And those who DO have it, don't always use the "all" button while dreaming of longshots...nor do they think of the laws of karma when they see a mistake on their tickets.

4. Being loud, drawing attention to yourself. Not smart. There's alot of people at the track these days with no interest in horses. JUst looking to scam. Why draw attention to yourself?
You are right on this one, I suppose...

But then again...it seems downright natural for a bettor to get a little excited when he cashes for a decent amount, so he is likely to draw a "little attention" to himself.

If there indeed are "a lot" of people at the tracks and the OTBs who are only looking to scam...shouldn't there be a more concentrated effort by the management to identify them and keep them out?

5. Maybe most important. Value. Value. Value. Hard to find with what's skimmed off the top. Betting into big pools you get paid off alot better. Play pick 4's. Playing for .50 really lets you spread out. If a few bombs hit, it can lead to nice payoffs.
Wait a minute here...

Doesn't "really spreading out looking for a few bombs" betray a certain lack of discipline...which you spoke so highly of in point #3?

When I started at the track years ago wayyyyyy before simulcasting i was told you can beat one race but you cant beat the races. I think that still holds true.
Then why the need for any advice at all?
I think you left out the best advice of all...

When you need handicapping and betting advice...go to a mutuel clerk.

Last edited by thaskalos; 08-27-2012 at 07:48 AM.
thaskalos is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-27-2012, 08:05 AM   #101
teddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by cj
I made it a point long ago to never try to talk someone off a longshot. Favorites, that is another story.

Twice in my life I took dates to the track, after talking both of 30=1 horses. Both dates ended with pissed off women. Now I just say bet to show.. hell they dont know what that is anyway.
teddy is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-30-2012, 11:59 AM   #102
Little Watermelon

I've always heard, never cancel tickets that you've made mistakes on. I always do. How about cancelling a bet because the horse breaks through the gate, tosses the rider, rears and has to be re-loaded? The Saratoga meet has become a blur to me, but several Saturdays ago, I played a Jonathan Sheppard horse at a good price. There were a lot of problems with loading, I think they scratched one horse at the gate, then the Sheppard horse refused to load, and tossed Napravnik. I cancelled my bets at the machine, then watched resignedly as the horse came flying up at the end to win.

Is that an aberration, or should you stick with your horse although he acts up at the gate?
Little Watermelon is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-30-2012, 03:27 PM   #103
therussmeister
Out-of-town Jasper

Quote:
Originally Posted by MutuelClerk
Yes, and that reason is randomness, and it's guaranteed to lose you money in the long run.

Actually the opposite is true. If I need to win my next bet, I'm in trouble. If I need to win over the next 1,000 bets, I can almost guarantee it.

~Alan Watts
therussmeister is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-30-2012, 05:44 PM   #104
JackS

The saying goes "you can't win a race but you can beat the races"
JackS is offline   Reply With Quote Reply