Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Handicapping Discussion

Old 05-30-2018, 09:53 PM   #106
Fred Mertz

Congrats!

Ms. Tiffani,

You have something to brag about and I'm very happy for you. I do verticals, so I doubt I'll have your kind of skill/luck. I'm happy to get a winner or two when I go to the track. I had two last time and an exacta putting me 20 bucks in the black.

Woo woo!
Fred Mertz is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-30-2018, 09:56 PM   #107
TiffaniO
Queen B

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred Mertz View Post
Ms. Tiffani,

You have something to brag about and I'm very happy for you. I do verticals, so I doubt I'll have your kind of skill/luck. I'm happy to get a winner or two when I go to the track. I had two last time and an exacta putting me 20 bucks in the black.

Woo woo!
Thanks Fred! Ethel is very lucky to have someone so kind! Sorry! I couldn’t resist!

Last edited by TiffaniO; 05-30-2018 at 09:58 PM.
TiffaniO is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-31-2018, 01:16 AM   #108
PaceAdvantage
PA Steward

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denny View Post
Who started calling it a "caveman" anyway?

Was it Crist? I really don't know, just wondering.

It's condescending of whoever did come up with the term..
Comparing people who use all their contenders to primitive cavemen.
Like they're not smart enough.

I won't use the term.
Oh brother...
Old 05-31-2018, 07:24 AM   #109
098poi

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaceAdvantage View Post
Oh brother...

Good thing Steve Crist never ran for office. He'd lose the caveman vote! Or at least Denny.
098poi is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-31-2018, 08:21 AM   #110
Gorrex

Here is an example of an ABC bet from our system today to show the difference between a normal bet and structuring in that fashion. Most of the time I think its worth it as it gives a quick method to play your high probability combinations without going through them all one by one.

I didnt actually handicap this.. just kind of went off of morning line. Anyway.. if this was my ABC bet, I could cover all of the most probable combinations with $50 and add a bit extra to my "sure thing" A bet.

If I bet the same straight ticket, it would cost me $96 and I'd have a lot of combinations I really didnt think would be possible.

Flip side though.. all of those B and Cs come in.. I might be kicking myself for a few weeks.
Gorrex is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-31-2018, 05:14 PM   #111
TiffaniO
Queen B

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gorrex View Post
If I bet the same straight ticket, it would cost me $96 and I'd have a lot of combinations I really didnt think would be possible.
I’m sure this will send the stats guys into a frenzy but I don’t go along with the theory that “this combination is not likely” because leg 1 Of the pick 4 has no bearing on leg 2 onto leg 3 and onto leg 4. If the horse is good enough to use on the ABC ticket, then he’s good enough to use on a base ticket or cave woman ticket. If the horse is THAT unlikely I argue the horse shouldn’t be used at all. Thus, turning your ticket from $96 to a much lower amount where you aren’t counting on one short priced horse.

Just because a 30-1 wins leg 1, it doesn’t make the 30-1 in the last leg any less likely than he would be normally. So why only use them with the “A” that is most likely a chalk?

I would understand this more in a tri or super where someone could say “if my A wins, horses 7,8,9 will hopefully not hit the ticket because of the race shape.

Last edited by TiffaniO; 05-31-2018 at 05:15 PM.
Old 05-31-2018, 06:01 PM   #112
Denny
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaceAdvantage View Post
Oh brother...
Is TiffaniO a cave woman to you?

I think she's pretty smart instead.
Denny is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-31-2018, 06:05 PM   #113
Denny
Veteran

Gorrex,
You might kick yourself for the rest of your life if the improbable happened and it was a huge pool that nobody had.
Just sayin'.
Old 05-31-2018, 06:07 PM   #114
Denny
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by TiffaniO View Post
I’m sure this will send the stats guys into a frenzy but I don’t go along with the theory that “this combination is not likely” because leg 1 Of the pick 4 has no bearing on leg 2 onto leg 3 and onto leg 4. If the horse is good enough to use on the ABC ticket, then he’s good enough to use on a base ticket or cave woman ticket. If the horse is THAT unlikely I argue the horse shouldn’t be used at all. Thus, turning your ticket from $96 to a much lower amount where you aren’t counting on one short priced horse.

Just because a 30-1 wins leg 1, it doesn’t make the 30-1 in the last leg any less likely than he would be normally. So why only use them with the “A” that is most likely a chalk?

I would understand this more in a tri or super where someone could say “if my A wins, horses 7,8,9 will hopefully not hit the ticket because of the race shape.
Old 05-31-2018, 06:10 PM   #115
Denny
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by 098poi View Post
Good thing Steve Crist never ran for office. He'd lose the caveman vote! Or at least Denny.
Do you know many cavemen?
Old 05-31-2018, 06:42 PM   #116
TiffaniO
Queen B

Quote:
Fred and Barney
Old 05-31-2018, 06:43 PM   #117
TiffaniO
Queen B

Quote:
And this guy...

Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1087C635-13E2-4B04-A54A-C787429470F1.jpg (97.3 KB, 12 views)
Old 06-01-2018, 03:11 PM   #118
MadVindication

Quote:
Originally Posted by Afleet View Post
I lost the last leg today of the pick 6@CD sitting on 5 for 5 when the ran second in the last; was live to ,,. I was excited to say the least, then the kick to the balls. I never saw the probable for the , but the was $8k+. Thought at the top of the lane he might steal it.

ticket cost $100.80
Ouch. A rush then a crush. At least it's more gentle when the tickets broken in the earlier of the races.

I had the 6 too. I like how the horses name is A Terrible Day. They were one of the shorter odds in the race IIRC. Thought it was the long shots I played that came in second.

Shitty that some people had the 6 of 6. I might start tackling some smaller jackpots on weekdays instead of the larger saturated ones. Not sure which track yet. Do you play the pick 6 a lot? At churchill or other tracks?
MadVindication is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-01-2018, 03:56 PM   #119
AndyC

Quote:
Originally Posted by TiffaniO View Post
.......Just because a 30-1 wins leg 1, it doesn’t make the 30-1 in the last leg any less likely than he would be normally. So why only use them with the “A” that is most likely a chalk?.......
True statement but you have to put the bet in before you know the 30-1 won the first leg. The question should be how likely would it be to have 30-1 and a 30-1 hit versus a 3-1 and a 30-1?
AndyC is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-01-2018, 05:04 PM   #120
PhantomOnTour
C'est Tout

Great job Tiffani!
A score to be proud of 👍