Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Racing Discussion

Old 03-16-2020, 04:10 PM   #1
cj
@TimeformUSfigs

Derby announcement to come 3-17 (Now set for 9-5)

cj is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-16-2020, 04:22 PM   #2
dilanesp

This is not good. "Timing" means they are going to try and run it. Greed is prevailing over public health.

(Perverse counterpoint- if moving the Derby means the Preakness gets moved and gets held at Laurel, thus completely screwing over the Baltimore city officials, I guess I might take some pleasure in that.)
dilanesp is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-16-2020, 04:25 PM   #3
cj
@TimeformUSfigs

Quote:
Originally Posted by dilanesp View Post
This is not good. "Timing" means they are going to try and run it. Greed is prevailing over public health.

(Perverse counterpoint- if moving the Derby means the Preakness gets moved and gets held at Laurel, thus completely screwing over the Baltimore city officials, I guess I might take some pleasure in that.)
I mean, they might run it in September. Don't see how that is bad, do you?
Old 03-16-2020, 04:28 PM   #4
dilanesp

Quote:
Originally Posted by cj View Post
I mean, they might run it in September. Don't see how that is bad, do you?
We have no idea if a big event can be held then. Also, we have no idea if prep races can be staged in the months prior.
Old 03-16-2020, 04:36 PM   #5
Robert Fischer
clean money

Quote:
This is not good. "Timing" means they are going to try and run it.
Quote:
We have no idea if a big event can be held then.
Obviously, if it can't be run at the date announced tomorrow, they will OBVIOUSLY reschedule again.

maybe you should protest for racing to be immediately abolished until further notice

Last edited by Robert Fischer; 03-16-2020 at 04:38 PM.
Robert Fischer is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-16-2020, 04:49 PM   #6
dilanesp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Fischer View Post
Obviously, if it can't be run at the date announced tomorrow, they will OBVIOUSLY reschedule again.

maybe you should protest for racing to be immediately abolished until further notice
I thonk it should be.

I guess what NYRA is doing is OK. But no way should there be a Kentucky Derby this year.
Old 03-16-2020, 04:50 PM   #7
cj
@TimeformUSfigs

Quote:
We have no idea if a big event can be held then. Also, we have no idea if prep races can be staged in the months prior.
That is fine, but just saying it is re-scheduled for a much later date isn't going to hurt anything. If anything it helps the other tracks by doing it in advance.

If it turns out it still isn't feasible in the coming months, so be it. But there really is no point in just canceling it now.
Old 03-16-2020, 05:09 PM   #8
NTamm1215

Quote:
I thonk it should be.

I guess what NYRA is doing is OK. But no way should there be a Kentucky Derby this year.
So they should cancel it and tell their shareholders to piss off instead of prudently moving it to September, when any medical expert would tell you the virus should be a memory?

Whether you (or anyone) likes it or not, CDI is obligated to act in the best interests of their shareholders. We have all been hurt by that as racing fans in the past. In this case, they’re doing exactly the right thing.
NTamm1215 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-16-2020, 05:25 PM   #9
tholl

Quote:
Originally Posted by NTamm1215 View Post
So they should cancel it and tell their shareholders to piss off instead of prudently moving it to September, when any medical expert would tell you the virus should be a memory?

Whether you (or anyone) likes it or not, CDI is obligated to act in the best interests of their shareholders. We have all been hurt by that as racing fans in the past. In this case, they’re doing exactly the right thing.
Exactly right. Who knows, it might turn out to be the best KY Derby ever.
tholl is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-16-2020, 05:31 PM   #10
Tom
The Voice of Reason!

Quote:
Of course they can, this is not rocket science.
Travers and Haskel might be preps this year, but it is nonsense to say it can't be done.

Probably be the best Derby ever.
More 3yos are better in the fall than in May.

Last edited by Tom; 03-16-2020 at 05:35 PM.
Tom is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-16-2020, 06:25 PM   #11
dilanesp

Quote:

Everyone including shareholders are obligated to act in the best interest of public health. This is not optional- check the stock market right now; plenty of shareholders are losing money. No reason CDI shareholders should be exempt.

We have ZERO idea if the virus "should be a memory" in September. But also, September means preps in August and July. And we REALLY have zero idea that the virus should be a memory in July.

It isn't responsible to be scheduling events right now. No other sports league is doing this. As I said, if you want to have low level racing at Aqueduct with very few people present, and that can be done without exceeding CDC recommendations (no more than 10 people in any small space), that's fine. But the 2020 Derby should never happen.
Old 03-16-2020, 06:35 PM   #12
Michael

Quote:

for someone who wants to yell fiduciary duty... if you're following a pecking order... I would visit the thread regarding the twinspires platform way before worrying about this years derby.
Michael is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-16-2020, 06:36 PM   #13
PaceAdvantage
PA Steward

Quote:
But the 2020 Derby should never happen.
One day, people are going to look back on all that has happened in the last week and just shake their heads at how high the nonsense meter went.
Old 03-16-2020, 06:49 PM   #14
azeri98

Quote:
Everyone including shareholders are obligated to act in the best interest of public health. This is not optional- check the stock market right now; plenty of shareholders are losing money. No reason CDI shareholders should be exempt.

We have ZERO idea if the virus "should be a memory" in September. But also, September means preps in August and July. And we REALLY have zero idea that the virus should be a memory in July.

It isn't responsible to be scheduling events right now. No other sports league is doing this. As I said, if you want to have low level racing at Aqueduct with very few people present, and that can be done without exceeding CDC recommendations (no more than 10 people in any small space), that's fine. But the 2020 Derby should never happen.
CDI makes their year off Derby/Oaks weekend. If they cancel it, it would kill their purses for the whole year at every track they own.
azeri98 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-16-2020, 06:53 PM   #15
dilanesp

Quote:
Originally Posted by azeri98 View Post
CDI makes their year off Derby/Oaks weekend. If they cancel it, it would kill their purses for the whole year at every track they own.
I think it is fair to say that the NCAA makes its year off the NCAA Men's Division 1 Basketball Tournament. And yet- they canceled it. Because they understood, ultimately, that their obligation was to public health, not their own bottom line.