Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Off Topic > Off Topic - Sports

Old 04-01-2022, 06:15 AM   #31
Half Smoke

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Fischer View Post
I was ok in the streetball, but these NBA guys are great.

growing up in Prince George's County Maryland in the '80s and '90s, basketball was big. It was a community thing. You go to the grocery store and people are stopping you and talking about basketball. 'Jordan' brand was booming, street basketball and hoop dreams

I too was schooled on DC area playgrounds but you're younger than me and I was more on the Montgomery County side

you might have played with a great shooter from our area - Brian Magid from Blair H.S. - who played at Sligo Creek Park which was in MC but very close to the PG line

people would gawk at him as he would hit 20 in a row from 30 feet out

as a sophomore at U of MD he shot .630 from the field

Lefty wouldn't give him much playing time so he transferred to GW

his senior year there he shot .929 from the line - 4th in the nation

you might enjoy these 2 sites which are all about DC area basketball

https://www.facebook.com/groups/1507158972959564

http://www.dcbasketball.com/

here are Brian Magid's college stats:

https://www.sports-reference.com/cbb...n-magid-1.html

Last edited by Half Smoke; 04-01-2022 at 06:23 AM.
Half Smoke is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-01-2022, 08:51 AM   #32
Mulerider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inner Dirt View Post
Byron Scott used to work out at a fitness center in San Juan Capistrano that I went to in the off season toward the later part of his career.
There's an old Dan Patrick interview with Byron in which he relates the story of Larry Bird telling him (Byron) exactly where and how he was going to shoot the winning shot, with only a couple of seconds left in the game, and then proceeded to do exactly that. Byron's response: "Are you f'ing kidding me." Lol.
Mulerider is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-01-2022, 09:37 AM   #33
Robert Fischer
clean money

Quote:
Originally Posted by Half Smoke View Post
I too was schooled on DC area playgrounds but you're younger than me and I was more on the Montgomery County side

you might have played with a great shooter from our area - Brian Magid from Blair H.S. - who played at Sligo Creek Park which was in MC but very close to the PG line

people would gawk at him as he would hit 20 in a row from 30 feet out

as a sophomore at U of MD he shot .630 from the field

Lefty wouldn't give him much playing time so he transferred to GW

his senior year there he shot .929 from the line - 4th in the nation

you might enjoy these 2 sites which are all about DC area basketball

https://www.facebook.com/groups/1507158972959564

http://www.dcbasketball.com/

here are Brian Magid's college stats:

https://www.sports-reference.com/cbb...n-magid-1.html

He looks like a good player. He was in good shape too for that time period. He was a little before my time, unless he ever came back to play in the summer.

I've played against Steve Francis (Maryland, Houston Rockets), DeMarr Johnson (Cinci, NBA Round 1 pick #6), a few very talented athletes that didn't make it, a few big horses, and numerous guys who played a small role in college or fringe NBA. I did a poetry class project with Rodney Elliot (UMD, Overseas leagues) about the same height but he was strong enough to play PF or C in division 1.

Sam Bowie is from the Pittsburgh area, but I mention him because he's a Harness racing Owner, and I've seen him at the Meadows. He's a big dude.

Last edited by Robert Fischer; 04-01-2022 at 09:41 AM.
Robert Fischer is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-10-2022, 01:07 PM   #34
mountainman

I've played with Brad Davis, a little with Mickey Davis, and some with Terry Francona. Francona once hooped with us in his baseball uniform and afterwards hit two dingers.

As a burgeoning adolescent, I often fed balls to Keith Starr during shoot arounds. Starr is a southwestern PA legend and would go on to star at Pitt and play for the Chicago Bulls. Serious knee issues derailed him too soon. He stood out in all sports, and it was his colt league strikeout record I broke by whiffing 18 guys in a seven inning game. I won't bore you guys with the long sad story about the freak injury that ended baseball for me.

Starr attended Quaker Valley HS and played for the iconic Vince Cortese, who drilled and drilled me at a young age on the fundamentals of shooting. Coach often brought a baby carrier to those Saturday morning sessions and placed it on the bleachers while working us to the tune of 8-track tapes.

Coach favored the Beach Boys, while Danny Cortese, our swaddled observer, would go on to a career in tv and movies, He has also hosted game shows. Best looking dude in the HISTORY of earth.

Also, I've met the mythical Bevo Francis several times. Nice guy, but firmly refused a game of horse.
mountainman is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-11-2022, 04:28 PM   #35
Robert Fischer
clean money

Quote:
Originally Posted by mountainman View Post
I've played with Brad Davis, a little with Mickey Davis, and some with Terry Francona. Francona once hooped with us in his baseball uniform and afterwards hit two dingers.

As a burgeoning adolescent, I often fed balls to Keith Starr during shoot arounds. Starr is a southwestern PA legend and would go on to star at Pitt and play for the Chicago Bulls. Serious knee issues derailed him too soon. He stood out in all sports, and it was his colt league strikeout record I broke by whiffing 18 guys in a seven inning game. I won't bore you guys with the long sad story about the freak injury that ended baseball for me.

Starr attended Quaker Valley HS and played for the iconic Vince Cortese, who drilled and drilled me at a young age on the fundamentals of shooting. Coach often brought a baby carrier to those Saturday morning sessions and placed it on the bleachers while working us to the tune of 8-track tapes.

Coach favored the Beach Boys, while Danny Cortese, our swaddled observer, would go on to a career in tv and movies, He has also hosted game shows. Best looking dude in the HISTORY of earth.

Also, I've met the mythical Bevo Francis several times. Nice guy, but firmly refused a game of horse.
Did not know Keith Starr played baseball.

I don't think I'd dig in comfortably at the plate against Mr. Starr. Mark Patterson would be tough as well
Old 04-11-2022, 05:56 PM   #36
mountainman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Fischer View Post
Did not know Keith Starr played baseball.

I don't think I'd dig in comfortably at the plate against Mr. Starr. Mark Patterson would be tough as well
I usually walked over to the other dugout before I pitched and threatened to take any man's head off who so much as moved the bat from his shoulder. Back then, I was at full scale war with the world and pitched in a state of blind rage.

Last edited by mountainman; 04-11-2022 at 06:08 PM.
mountainman is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-12-2022, 04:44 PM   #37
Inner Dirt

Quote:
Originally Posted by mountainman View Post
I usually walked over to the other dugout before I pitched and threatened to take any man's head off who so much as moved the bat from his shoulder. Back then, I was at full scale war with the world and pitched in a state of blind rage.

If you can throw at someone's head or anywhere else on the body, the batter should be able to retaliate. That is why I think the brush back pitch is a joke these days, as the pitcher doesn't bat very often.
Inner Dirt is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-15-2022, 05:00 PM   #38
Half Smoke

I googled my buddy to read about his h.s. hoops doings

he was pretty good, not great; he was 1st team All County__________he didn't play college ball

a cub reporter for the Washington Post in his 20s covered the games and wrote some nice stuff about my buddy a couple of times

I called my buddy to tell him who that reporter was - he didn't know - neither did I until now - at that time the reporter's name meant nothing

but that reporter was Thomas Boswell_________who was to become surely one of the greatest sportswriters of all time

it was pretty cool to show him that

Last edited by Half Smoke; 04-15-2022 at 05:02 PM.
Half Smoke is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-16-2022, 07:31 PM   #39
BettinBilly
Educated Speculation

Cool thread.

I have never been into basketball much, but this thread has me reminiscing about the days I'd sit and watch the Celtics play with Bird, Parish and McHale. I miss those days.

When I was a kid (before I actually watched basketball on TV), we all talked about Chamberlain, West and Baylor. I had a book about basketball legends when I was in junior high. Not sure why. I was more of a football/baseball fan back then. Today it's just baseball and horse racing.

Thanks for the walk down memory lane, gents.
Old 04-21-2022, 06:46 AM   #40
Half Smoke

Jerry West, who was one of my all time fave players, truly an amazing hoopster, is demanding a retraction from HBO for what his attorney calls a "false and defamatory portrayal" in the HBO series "Winning Time"

West is portrayed as an incompetent exec with alcohol and anger issues

that's really hard to believe since the Lakers won Championships with him as a Scout in 1980, and as a GM in 82, 85, 87 and 88

without knowing all of the details it looks like a typical example of media sensationalism

https://www.washingtonpost.com/sport...-winning-time/