Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Off Topic > Off Topic - General

Old 07-16-2018, 03:04 AM   #76
MargieRose

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clocker View Post
He summed up the results himself. When an interviewer asked him to name America's biggest foe globally, Trump's first response was the European Union.

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/donald-...nki-jeff-glor/
Your comment is misleading in that it leaves the reader thinking that Pres. Trump called the E.U. America's biggest foe...period. It is pretty close to how a lot of fake news is reported, IMO.

The interviewer (Jeff Glor, CBS News Anchor) asked Pres. Trump a TWO-PART question. He set (set up??) the trade mindset: "Who is your biggest competitor, your biggest foe globally right now?"

Quote:
GLOR: Who is your biggest competitor, your biggest foe globally right now?

TRUMP: Well, I think we have a lot of foes. I think the European Union is a foe, what they do to us in trade.

Now, you wouldn't think of the European Union, but they're a foe. Russia is a foe in certain respects. China is a foe economically, certainly. They're a foe. But that doesn't mean they're bad. It doesn't mean anything.

It means that they're competitors. They want to do well, and we want to do well. And we're starting to do well. You see what's going on. We have the best employment numbers probably that we have ever had. Black unemployment is the lowest level in history, Hispanic unemployment the lowest level in history, Jeff, women unemployment lowest in 66 years.

Our numbers are great. Our GDP numbers are far greater than what they thought.

GLOR: A lot of people might be surprised to hear you list the E.U. as a foe before China and Russia.

TRUMP: No, I look at them all.
Read the comment in the context of the whole interview here - Transcript:

https://www.realclearpolitics.com/vi..._on_trade.html
MargieRose is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-16-2018, 06:16 AM   #77
tucker6

Quote:
Originally Posted by elysiantraveller View Post
Perhaps because when I do most people simply take their ball and go home. Yes I'm looking at you.

I've long since stopped banging my head against the wall replying to you. You are ignorant of how things really work. Book smart versus street smart. Reality would amaze you if you'd just allow it to find you.
tucker6 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-16-2018, 08:00 AM   #78
PaceAdvantage
PA Steward

Quote:
Today apparently the EU is one of our largest geopolitical foes... according to Trump.

What say you?
Well, after reading the transcript thanks to Margie Rose, I would say you are misrepresenting "according to Trump."

Quote:
Well, I think we have a lot of foes. I think the European Union is a foe, what they do to us in trade.

Now, you wouldn't think of the European Union, but they're a foe. Russia is a foe in certain respects. China is a foe economically, certainly. They're a foe. But that doesn't mean they're bad. It doesn't mean anything.
Old 07-16-2018, 08:46 AM   #79
elysiantraveller

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaceAdvantage View Post
Well, after reading the transcript thanks to Margie Rose, I would say you are misrepresenting "according to Trump."
The context doesn't help you...

Who do you think the biggest foe is?

European Union...

"What they do to us in trade."

Here is where I would have loved the Donald to actually explain himself but of course he doesn't... he just proceeds to ramble off other stuff.

So what do you think? Who is our biggest foe?

Last edited by elysiantraveller; 07-16-2018 at 08:49 AM.
elysiantraveller is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-16-2018, 08:54 AM   #80
elysiantraveller

Quote:
Originally Posted by reckless View Post
Do you believe that the taxpayer of the USA deserves to ripped-off by these NATO countries?

That's basically what this lady is suggesting. We saved Europe's ass in WW II and all the liberals --and add now Trump bashers-- simply hate to admit this, and better yet, to be reminded of the fact. But since it's a Plan --how stupid-- it's really OK and Trump is evil by wanting to end this charade.

NATO was created because the immediate threat to Europe came from the ex-USSR following WW II. Yes, at the time the Continent was tapped out so America The Great didn't mind footing most of NATO's bill. We were still in a Cold War and our presence served our interests also. But those interests have changed.

As long as the EU have a $150 billion trade surplus with the USA, they will now pay their obligations to NATO.

The EU's days of dancing without paying the band are over.

PS--We do care is the response and not your juvenile and always false narratives.

The article is just a stupid analysis written for a naive and misinformed audience.
Who got NATO to increase military spending? Trump or Obama?

Just curious...

I recall a few years back discussing the United States' withdrawal of Missile defense systems in Europe and how he was selling out our allies then... even though it helped get NATO to increase spending.

More wanting it both ways huh?
Old 07-16-2018, 08:55 AM   #81
elysiantraveller

Quote:
Originally Posted by MargieRose View Post
Your comment is misleading in that it leaves the reader thinking that Pres. Trump called the E.U. America's biggest foe...period. It is pretty close to how a lot of fake news is reported, IMO.

The interviewer (Jeff Glor, CBS News Anchor) asked Pres. Trump a TWO-PART question. He set (set up??) the trade mindset: "Who is your biggest competitor, your biggest foe globally right now?"

Read the comment in the context of the whole interview here - Transcript:

https://www.realclearpolitics.com/vi..._on_trade.html
Then why didn't he call the European Union a foe and not a competitor?

The guy frequently says stuff that sends you all spinning to explain what he meant.
Old 07-16-2018, 08:59 AM   #82
Clocker

Quote:

My comment was very accurate in pointing out that when asked about America's foes, the first thing on his mind and the first thing out of his mouth was the EU. If the EU is our foe, then the whole world is our foe.

Which doesn't sound far from the truth to hear Trump tell his stories. Trump would like to close our borders to all foreign people and trade, and we could all live happily ever after. He is irrational on the subject.
Old 07-16-2018, 08:59 AM   #83
elysiantraveller

Quote:
Originally Posted by tucker6 View Post

I've long since stopped banging my head against the wall replying to you. You are ignorant of how things really work. Book smart versus street smart. Reality would amaze you if you'd just allow it to find you.
The rest of my post there...

Quote:
Or do one of the more entertaining things of attempting to shoehorn me into some political label that doesn't apply.

Do a search of "global hegemonic stability" on this forum... I've discussed it at length several times attacking both people on the left and right who call it into question...

But that's me actually attempting to have intellectual discussions on here... instead I get treated to posts like the one above...
Thanks for making my point.

Last edited by elysiantraveller; 07-16-2018 at 09:00 AM.
Old 07-16-2018, 09:06 AM   #84
elysiantraveller

Quote:
My comment was very accurate in pointing out that when asked about America's foes, the first thing on his mind and the first thing out of his mouth was the EU. If the EU is our foe, then the whole world is our foe.

Which doesn't sound far from the truth to hear Trump tell his stories. Trump would like to close our borders to all foreign people and trade, and we could all live happily ever after. He is irrational on the subject.
Trump is a firm believer in zero-sum. Because its a fear-driven negotiating style its always prone to be irrational.

It went by the wayside a long time ago until he brought it back.
Old 07-16-2018, 09:19 AM   #85
Clocker

Quote:
Trump is a firm believer in zero-sum. Because its a fear-driven negotiating style its always prone to be irrational.
And he doesn't understand that the trade deficit is one side of a coin. The other side of the coin is the capital surplus. He should love that, because it is always zero-sum. The money leaving the country when we import more than we export comes back into the country as investment in our economy. Foreign money (that is, our own spending coming back) is funding the increasing deficits of our government as well as building up our economy and creating jobs. How many auto industry jobs would we have without the plants built here by Toyota, BMW, Mercedes, Volvo, etc? What would the interest on our national debt be without Chinese purchases of our bonds?
Old 07-16-2018, 09:41 AM   #86
PaceAdvantage
PA Steward

Quote:
The context doesn't help you...

Who do you think the biggest foe is?

European Union...

"What they do to us in trade."

Here is where I would have loved the Donald to actually explain himself but of course he doesn't... he just proceeds to ramble off other stuff.

So what do you think? Who is our biggest foe?
I don't get from what he said that he considers the EU our "biggest foe."

He qualified the statement by adding "what they do to us in trade."

But you know this already. As does everyone else reading the full text.

I personally don't know who our biggest FOE is...I'd like to know who our biggest FEE, FI & FUM are as well.
Old 07-16-2018, 11:54 AM   #87
MargieRose

Quote:
Then why didn't he call the European Union a foe and not a competitor?

The guy frequently says stuff that sends you all spinning to explain what he meant.
Had the TWO-PART question been asked in reverse, he, like most anyone, probably would have said "competitor." You don't understand how the human brain processes information...last heard, first addressed. Listen to any press conference. When more than one question is presented by the same person, the last question is quite often answered first. In this case, it was the juxtaposition of two simple words.

To your second point, I would say the "quy" says stuff that sends you other-all spinning to just comprehend what we "all" understand and find perfectly reasonable and logical. You other-all allow your minds to shutdown prematurely, likely do to a preset bias; hence the need for we "all" to explain. We "all" are generally very happy to help out you other-all, when deemed necessary.
Old 07-16-2018, 12:08 PM   #88
Clocker

Quote:
You don't understand how the human brain processes information..
What has that got to do with Trump? He doesn't process information, he reacts to it viscerally.

The basic issue is that Trump said that our allies are our foes. Quibbling about anything beyond that is rearranging the deck chairs on the Titanic.
Old 07-16-2018, 12:10 PM   #89
MargieRose

Quote:

To your first point, see my response to Ely. Sorry, but you posted a misleading half truth...no getting around it.

To your second point: "Trump would like to close our borders to all foreign people and trade..." THAT is ludicrous, and especially so coming from you Clocker! I'm flabbergasted!!
Old 07-16-2018, 12:15 PM   #90
MargieRose

Quote:
What has that got to do with Trump? He doesn't process information, he reacts to it viscerally.

The basic issue is that Trump said that our allies are our foes. Quibbling about anything beyond that is rearranging the deck chairs on the Titanic.
Had nothing to do with Trump; had everything to do with you other-all.

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: