Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Racing Discussion

Old 11-13-2006, 11:57 PM   #1
JustRalph
Just another Facist

Can anybody decipher this article? Robotic Wagering

http://www.drf.com/news/article/80478.html

What the hell difference does it make as long as the dollars and cents were correct going into the pool? unless the account holder only meant to put in one dollar ticks?

I still say somebody found a way to beat the system on something........or this wouldn't have happen and there wouldn't be a need for a patch........anybody got a clue on this one?

Last edited by JustRalph; 11-14-2006 at 12:02 AM.
JustRalph is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-14-2006, 12:02 AM   #2
cj
@TimeformUSfigs

Looks like direct access automated wagering to me.

What cracks me up is the guy saying this:

Quote:
"This is really something that the industry needs to look at, because we need some safeguards to prevent this from happening," Dunn said. "There needs to be a way to know when a computer is making an error and stop it from sending the bets in."
Why? If they write a crap program, screw them. Why should the industry pay to put in safeguards to prevent someone using a computer to wager from betting too much?
cj is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-14-2006, 12:11 AM   #3
njcurveball

I was about to post that same quote after reading the article! Mr. Dunn obviously isn't going to be teaching a computer class anytime soon.

Each bet should be time stamped and logged. I am not saying it is one way or the other, but I do agree that if the system was workiing properly there would be no need for a PATCH!

I guess most fans are still of the ilk that take the excuse "computer error" as something so mystical and magical they stop asking questions.

I would like someone at the DRF to look at the logs of the bets and see the time stamps of when they hit the pools. Also tell us WHAT the pick 3 bet was that won. If it was something like 1/ALL/ALL. I would be pretty darn suspicious!
njcurveball is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-14-2006, 12:17 AM   #4
twindouble

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustRalph
http://www.drf.com/news/article/80478.html

What the hell difference does it make as long as the dollars and cents were correct going into the pool? unless the account holder only meant to put in one dollar ticks?

I still say somebody found a way to beat the system on something........or this wouldn't have happen and there wouldn't be a need for a patch........anybody got a clue on this one?
From what I've understood these robotic wagering systems have been around for some time now, the are wired I think right into the pools. From the first time I heard of it I thought it would be a can of worms, ESP with late money coming in hammering the odds and payoffs. No player that is cut off from betting prior to the gate opening will be happy with such radical changes in odds. That just makes them think there's something crooked going on.

I don't have a complete understanding how robotic wagering works, so keep that in mind.

T.D.
twindouble is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-14-2006, 12:23 AM   #5
cj
@TimeformUSfigs

From what I understand, there really was a computer error made by the bettors. I am a little curious how they were able to put in such odd amount bets, $31.74. I'm pretty sure I can't do that, with or without a computer.

As an aside, the little guy knew about this for a while and was helpful in passing information along so that it found its way to print. So thanks tlg, otherwise the bettors would be in the dark, again.

Last edited by cj; 11-14-2006 at 12:30 AM.
Old 11-14-2006, 12:38 AM   #6
BillW
Comfortably Numb

Quote:
Originally Posted by cj
From what I understand, there really was a computer error made by the bettors. I am a little curious how they were able to put in such odd amount bets, $31.74. I'm pretty sure I can't do that, with or without a computer.
I would guess at some level, the system would handle any value input ($2.00CDN for instance) and only be limited at the front end for flexibility.
BillW is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-14-2006, 12:52 AM   #7
BillW
Comfortably Numb

Quote:
Originally Posted by njcurveball
Mr. Dunn obviously isn't going to be teaching a computer class anytime soon.
Dunn is the GM and not directly involved with the datacenter but should at least have a remedial understanding of the operation. Sadly typical in the industry from what I've seen.
BillW is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-14-2006, 12:57 AM   #8
highnote

All I can think of is that the systems are designed for tellers to punch in amounts in whole numbers. It probably was an oversite on the programmer's part to think that dollars and cents bets might be made by a computer. The programmer probably used legacy code from betting terminals for the new computer betting interface.

Because there was a decimal point in the bet it was probably ignored and only the "4" was seen and some zeros were added. There are probably some kind of codes that system needs to see. Maybe it misinterpreted the pick-3 wager code to be part of the bet amount because of the decimal point that was present.

If I'm not mistaken, when you program decimal numbers in machine language code you have to flip the numbers around for some reason. I never could figure out machine language. So maybe that is what happened.

There was definately NO larceny going on. Too much at stake. The people who run these operations are honest, but there is still a human element present. And errors happen.

I'm sure if someone asked, they would tell exactly what happened.
highnote is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-14-2006, 09:26 AM   #9
njcurveball

Anyone remember this golden oldie?

Donald Groth, the chairman of Catskill OTB, which is in upstate New York, said that the winning bettor is a 29-year-old Maryland resident who placed the wagers by phone. The bettor has requested anonymity, Groth said. He said that "there is nothing to indicate that this was anything but a very good day for our customer."

"I know why you're suspicious, but that's not my job," Groth said. "I'm familiar enough with the customer that I believe this is legitimate." Groth said that he has personally checked the time stamps for the telephone calls in which the pick six wagers were placed. "They were all placed beforehand," he said.

Who can you trust?
Old 11-14-2006, 09:30 AM   #10
PaceAdvantage
PA Steward

What are you talking about? Groth was telling the truth if I recall correctly. The tickets were altered AFTER the bets were made, were they not? Therefore, as far as HE was concerned, they appeared LEGITIMATE at first blush.
PaceAdvantage is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-14-2006, 09:36 AM   #11
classhandicapper

Quote:
Originally Posted by njcurveball
Each bet should be time stamped and logged.
If you are implying that some bettors have the ability to past post, I can tell you with 100% certainty that it was possible until very recently. It may still be possible (and I suspect it is), but I don't know that for a fact.
classhandicapper is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-14-2006, 09:40 AM   #12
rrbauer
Both-hands Bettor

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaceAdvantage
What are you talking about? Groth was telling the truth if I recall correctly. The tickets were altered AFTER the bets were made, were they not? Therefore, as far as HE was concerned, they appeared LEGITIMATE at first blush.
I believe that Groth also said that there was "no way" that bettor's could manipulate the bets that were placed in the Catskill system. So did the dude who was heading up the tote company at the time. People who don't know what's going on in the "computer room" should limit their comments or stand ready to reap the benefits of their ignorance.
Old 11-14-2006, 09:41 AM   #13
njcurveball

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaceAdvantage
Therefore, as far as HE was concerned, they appeared LEGITIMATE at first blush.
EXACTLY my point!
Old 11-14-2006, 09:43 AM   #14
njcurveball

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrbauer
People who don't know what's going on in the "computer room" should limit their comments or stand ready to reap the benefits of their ignorance.
You read my mind! That was the point. Who can you trust? I would like them to come clean with ALL of the information. An innocent man has nothing to hide!
Old 11-14-2006, 10:04 AM   #15
cj
@TimeformUSfigs

Quote:
Originally Posted by classhandicapper
If you are implying that some bettors have the ability to past post, I can tell you with 100% certainty that it was possible until very recently. It may still be possible (and I suspect it is), but I don't know that for a fact.
What changed?