Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > Handicapper's Corner

Closed Thread

Old 10-05-2014, 05:57 PM   #31
Dave Schwartz

How could anyone disagree with the Boxter when it comes to religion?

BTW, I actually made a post in that thread yesterday (after being absent for a couple of years). Here it is in all its glory:

Last edited by PaceAdvantage; 10-06-2014 at 12:50 PM.
Old 10-05-2014, 09:17 PM   #32
dnlgfnk

Dave, good to know things are going well. I wondered whether the significant adjustments you mentioned in the past year (trainer stats, Tampa Bay "mentor") messed with a good thing. You helped me personally in a post about the general accuracy of morning lines not very long ago.

Very humorous post that I would have missed otherwise. Only in my weakest moments do I return to the religious thread. I've been on the wagon for weeks now. The lack of charity is appalling, myself included at times, mea maxima culpa. I hope my participation there was to propose, rather than impose.
Old 10-05-2014, 09:29 PM   #33
Dave Schwartz

Quote:
Dave, good to know things are going well. I wondered whether the significant adjustments you mentioned in the past year (trainer stats, Tampa Bay "mentor") messed with a good thing.
dnlgfnk,

Trainer stats are a cornerstone to my success at the window. Logical, considering how difficult they are to apply (i.e. measure collectively).

Quote:
I've been on the wagon for weeks now. The lack of charity is appalling, myself included at times, mea maxima culpa.
I am not exactly sure how literally you mean this - or perhaps I have missed your point altogether.

The way I view that thread on "religion" kind of reminds me of this:

Old 10-05-2014, 09:38 PM   #34
ReplayRandall
Buckle Up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Schwartz
I am not exactly sure how literally you mean this - or perhaps I have missed your point altogether.

Dave, I don't believe you've ever missed the point........
Old 10-05-2014, 10:39 PM   #35
Greyfox

And for anyone who wants to be told they are wrong about religion , boxcar will tell you that you are wrong in the Religious Thread on this board!
Whatever your view point is, whatever your religion, you are wrong.

Old 10-05-2014, 10:46 PM   #36
dnlgfnk

Quote:
dnlgfnk,

Trainer stats are a cornerstone to my success at the window. Logical, considering how difficult they are to apply (i.e. measure collectively).

The way I view that thread on "religion" kind of reminds me of this:

Very literally. Too much venom over there in that thread, and the central cast are more like each other than they realize. You played another ace with that latest cartoon. Too often that guy has been me, who I like to label "Just A Guy Behind A Keyboard" (hat tip to blogger Mark Shea). I would profit more from reading Augustine vs. Pelagius, or Aquinas building upon Aristotle, or Chesterton vs. H.G.Wells, rather than debate someone who can't state your position accurately enough to contest it, especially at 1 A.M.

But there's no shortage of varying opinions in racing, as you know. Your support of trainer stats gets a challenge from Delta, et.al., here...

http://www.paceadvantage.com/forum/s...7&page=1&pp=15
Old 10-05-2014, 10:59 PM   #37
Dave Schwartz

LOL - re: point #2 in my original post. I rest my case.

IMHO, in such a climate (i.e. where it degenerates to "my opinion vs. yours and my opinion is always right") it is very difficult for anyone to learn anything.

BTW, my o-pinion is that using trainer stats from a standpoint of a few key angles is a waste of time, as alluded to by both DL and GT in that thread, for precisely the reasons they mentioned.

That is why I do not use them that way.
Old 10-05-2014, 11:08 PM   #38
dirty moose

Quote:
LOL - re: point #2 in my original post. I rest my case.

IMHO, in such a climate (i.e. where it degenerates to "my opinion vs. yours and my opinion is always right") it is very difficult for anyone to learn anything.

BTW, my o-pinion is that using trainer stats from a standpoint of a few key angles is a waste of time, as alluded to by both DL and GT in that thread, for precisely the reasons they mentioned.

That is why I do not use them that way.
Where could I find out more info on you're angles and how you use them?
Old 10-05-2014, 11:22 PM   #39
Greyfox

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirty moose
Where could I find out more info on you're angles and how you use them?
Duh.....Err....maybe....any of the following links...maybe.....

Friend me on Facebook to get
connected to horse racing groups.

HSH Users Group on Facebook
Old 10-06-2014, 12:20 AM   #40
Dave Schwartz

Trainer Stats: We use a Composite Approach. That is, there are like 150 or so groups of trainer angles. When I say, "Group," I mean like "distance."

"Distance" is expressed in multiple ways. For example:

1. Distance= sprint or route
2. Distance= mini, dash, sprint, route, marathon.
3. Distance= Surface & Distance, such as Dirt-sprint, dirt-route, turf-sprint, turf-route.

Thus there are multiple looks at the distance angle.

Overall, one could (logically) divide trainer stats into 3 categories:
1. Control Factors - Those angles that the trainer has control over such as class change, distance switch, days off, etc.

2. Abilities - Those angles that are typical of the trainer's characteristics such as, age, sex (eg. some trainers are very good with 2yr old fillies but not so great with 2yr old colts), class levels and race types.

3. Performance - Those angles that are representative of the horses relative ranking in today's race. For example, if the horse is ranked 3rd for speed rating in the last race, how does he do with such horses? What if he ranks in the rear half of the field?

Same thing for best-of-last-2, average-of-last-3, or earnings box-class.

By far, the most important stats are the performance stats because nobody - at least nobody I am aware of - has such statistics.

Each user has the option of turning on or off whichever factors they wish to consider. In addition, there are a dozen or so columns for each statistic, such as Impact Value, Pool Impact Value, $Net, etc. and a bunch more. The same stats are available for place and show as well.

Each user has the capability of "filtering" the factors that qualify. For example, they might say that only factors where they had a 30% hit rate (or higher) should be considered, or only factors where the horse had at least 4 wins. (Ed Bain called this 4+30.)

Also, each user can create their own "handicapping objects" from the statistics derived from the qualifying factors.

All trainer stats are "circuit-specific." Thus, stats from SAR, BEL and AQU are co-mingled, while PARX stands by itself. IMHO, national statistics have very little value.

Perhaps the very best example of this has historically been Jerry Hollendorfer. For years, Jerry was a 35-40% trainer in NoCal, but when he shipped to SoCal he was a 13% trainer. If his stats are computed nationally, he will be way overrated in SoCal and actually a little underrated in NoCal (by virtue of his SoCal races drawing him downward).

BTW, we take all of the stats, for all of the qualified columns and tally them together. Works like a charm but do not try to do this without a software program. LOL

Oh, and we do EVERY trainer, in EVERY race, at EVERY track. Their tendencies cannot be hidden from us.

I believe this video will show a little of how it all works.
http://www.practicalhandicapping.com...inerStats.html
Old 10-06-2014, 12:28 AM   #41
Dave Schwartz

And apparently, our storage site has just been designated a malware site by Google.

How the hell did this happen?
Old 10-06-2014, 01:53 AM   #42
Greyfox

Quote:
Trainer Stats: We use a Composite Approach.
http://www.practicalhandicapping.com...inerStats.html
Yes. I'm aware of the malware warning.

But who is WE that uses the composite approach?
Old 10-06-2014, 03:34 AM   #43
Dave Schwartz

Strange, the warning seems to have disappeared on all but one of my computers!

"We" is my software users.

Last edited by Dave Schwartz; 10-06-2014 at 03:38 AM.
Old 10-06-2014, 12:50 PM   #44
PaceAdvantage
PA Steward

Image removed...malware notice gone
Closed Thread