Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Handicapping Discussion

Old 04-17-2019, 03:56 PM   #1
Half Smoke

Question on Bridge Jumping

I would never make a show bet that I knew was going to pay back $2.10

but the West Virginia tracks - Mountaineer and Charlestown have a regulations that requires them to pay back double; a minimum of $2.20 or 10% profit

I've never done it, but do you think that considering the payout is double that it could ever be a good bet? i.e. a short field of 5 or 6 in a 4.5 furlong race that features one horse that is obviously much faster than the rest of the field

also, because of the higher payout there are many jumpers there creating opportunities to bet against the big horse

what's your opinion?
Old 04-17-2019, 04:43 PM   #2
Robert Fischer
clean money

Quote:
Originally Posted by Half Smoke View Post

but the West Virginia tracks - Mountaineer and Charlestown have a regulations that requires them to pay back double; a minimum of $2.20 or 10% profit

I've never done it, but do you think that considering the payout is double that it could ever be a good bet? i.e. a short field of 5 or 6 in a 4.5 furlong race that features one horse that is obviously much faster than the rest of the field

also, because of the higher payout there are many jumpers there creating opportunities to bet against the big horse

what's your opinion?
I strongly vote against bridge jumping.

20cents doesn't buy a nice night on the town.

Betting a lot, to win a little (trying to turn that 20cents into a score) is a fast-track to a sad story.

There's a reason they call it "Bridge Jumping"...

You can only bet substantial wagers to show at the track (against rules of ADW):

Are there ever 'overlays' or even simply good gambling opportunities? - sure, but not only do those opportunities require an elusive level of information to actually know with any degree of confidence, they are also very "close to the ledge" of problem-gambling to where such 'scientific' measures easily become blurred.

TLDR: FORGET ABOUT IT

Quote:
This, is a better idea.
Once in a blue moon, a questionable chalk will catch 'bridgejumper' desperate action... These are terribly rare, but if you find one, you can gamble a few bucks and have a shot at a nice score.

Last edited by Robert Fischer; 04-17-2019 at 04:51 PM.
Robert Fischer is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-17-2019, 04:54 PM   #3
Saratoga_Mike
Veteran

Quote:

what's your opinion?
If you look at the "Who is shelling all of these 1-9 and 1-5 shots?" thread, you'll see one of the database posters indicated a show-bet ROI of roughly 0.90 on horses bet down to 1/9. I assume some of those bets were in WV and IA, but maybe in isolation (just WV and IA) you could get to breakeven, not sure. However, as RF stated this type of play will not be welcomed by your ADW.

Last edited by Saratoga_Mike; 04-17-2019 at 04:55 PM.
Saratoga_Mike is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-17-2019, 05:18 PM   #4
lamboguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Fischer View Post
I strongly vote against bridge jumping.

20cents doesn't buy a nice night on the town.

Betting a lot, to win a little (trying to turn that 20cents into a score) is a fast-track to a sad story.

There's a reason they call it "Bridge Jumping"...

You can only bet substantial wagers to show at the track (against rules of ADW):

Are there ever 'overlays' or even simply good gambling opportunities? - sure, but not only do those opportunities require an elusive level of information to actually know with any degree of confidence, they are also very "close to the ledge" of problem-gambling to where such 'scientific' measures easily become blurred.

TLDR: FORGET ABOUT IT

This, is a better idea.
Once in a blue moon, a questionable chalk will catch 'bridgejumper' desperate action... These are terribly rare, but if you find one, you can gamble a few bucks and have a shot at a nice score.
they should get rid of breakage alltogether by paying down to the penny. but the tracks don't want to give up all that breakage that they earn. my guess is that if they did get rid of positive and negative breakage they would wind up with much more handle.

as far as jumping into $2.10 horses, you are in a heap of trouble before you start. there is no way you can win 20 out of 21 in the money horses. $2.20 is a different story. the big guys that jump at the $2.10 horses also hedge their bets. they are probably rooting to lose the big bet and make it back with the hedge and then some.
lamboguy is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-17-2019, 05:49 PM   #5
Half Smoke

thanks for the answers

as far as the ADW not wanting this action - I live fairly close to Charlestown and it's a beautiful drive up there so that part of it is not a concern

if I ever did it, it would not be with a great sum of money
a loss wouldn't put me on a bridge........

Last edited by Half Smoke; 04-17-2019 at 05:56 PM. Reason: Because I don't really understand the theory of entanglement
Half Smoke is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-17-2019, 07:41 PM   #6
castaway01

Quote:
thanks for the answers

as far as the ADW not wanting this action - I live fairly close to Charlestown and it's a beautiful drive up there so that part of it is not a concern

So what would be the point in betting, say, $500 to win $50? If you don't bet an amount that means something to you, then the profit will be so small that it won't matter.
castaway01 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-17-2019, 09:29 PM   #7
AskinHaskin

Quote:
...a minimum of $2.20...do you think...it could ever be a good bet?

Yes, Portland Meadows, 7th race, January 3, 1979.

Why wouldn't it be?
AskinHaskin is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-17-2019, 11:30 PM   #8
Tom
The Voice of Reason!

The bet to make is on everyone else to show.
IF you see a bridge jump bet, bet everything else to show and hope it runs out.

You either lose a little of make some good money on the big show payoffs.

I bet a horse once, long time ago, $5WP at OTB.
Went out to lunch cane back, and saw my horse won! I was happy until I saw the payoffs....$12.80 $6.20 $52.80
Old 04-18-2019, 12:44 AM   #9
JustRalph
Just another Facist

Quote:
thanks for the answers

Watch out for the Harpers Ferry speed trap.
Old 04-18-2019, 01:55 AM   #10
jay68802

I believe you mentioned 2 of the top 3 tracks that I look for bridge jumpers on. Earlier this year at CT, on one card there was 3 races with jumpers, NONE of them hit the board.
jay68802 is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-18-2019, 08:51 AM   #11
098poi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom View Post
The bet to make is on everyone else to show.
IF you see a bridge jump bet, bet everything else to show and hope it runs out.

You either lose a little of make some good money on the big show payoffs.

I bet a horse once, long time ago, $5WP at OTB.
Went out to lunch cane back, and saw my horse won! I was happy until I saw the payoffs....$12.80 $6.20 $52.80

That's a great story. On a daily basis there are people who get stung by what I call the zig-zag. You know you feel one way but you bet another and how you felt is what wins. You zig and the race zags!

This game is very easy after the fact. And painfully frustrating.
098poi is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-18-2019, 10:22 AM   #12
airford1

There is only one way to make a Bridge Jumper bet and that is with your student loan money. Nobody expect you to pay it back.
airford1 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-18-2019, 10:40 AM   #13
Saratoga_Mike
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustRalph View Post
Watch out for the Harpers Ferry speed trap.
Funny, I never saw a cop between Fredrick and about 5 miles out of Harpers Ferry, but they were around after that.
Saratoga_Mike is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-18-2019, 11:32 AM   #14
Half Smoke

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saratoga_Mike View Post
Funny, I never saw a cop between Fredrick and about 5 miles out of Harpers Ferry, but they were around after that.
when I was a kid I heard rumors of the IRS agents going up into those mountains there trying to hassle the moonshiners

the rumor was: they went up into the mountains - but they never came back down
Old 04-18-2019, 08:03 PM   #15
castaway01

Quote:
when I was a kid I heard rumors of the IRS agents going up into those mountains there trying to hassle the moonshiners

the rumor was: they went up into the mountains - but they never came back down
I heard the same rumor about bridgejumpers...hope we talked you out of that idea except for, as Tom said, playing the other horses in the race if you see a bridgejumper bet.
castaway01 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: