Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Handicapping Discussion

Old 04-01-2019, 01:51 PM   #1
secondtime

tip sheets

does any one know of anybody that has reliable tip sheets
thx
secondtime is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-01-2019, 02:01 PM   #2
horseplayer

One of NorCalGreg's pgms has a tip sheet option giving you three selections per race .
horseplayer is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-01-2019, 06:21 PM   #3
secondtime

thx much appreciate the info
secondtime is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-07-2019, 10:20 PM   #4
marksinger

Do you have a link to his programs to check out his tipsheet option? Thank you
marksinger is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-08-2019, 02:31 AM   #5
Clocker

Why would anyone that knew what they were doing sell their picks for a few bucks, driving down the price on the horse, rather than just bet them?
Old 04-08-2019, 02:55 AM   #6
thaskalos

The only reason that I could think of is that the tout is a losing player in search of a new bankroll. As the saying goes..."there is a sucker born every minute...and two to take him".
Old 04-08-2019, 11:34 AM   #7
ubercapper

Quote:
Originally Posted by thaskalos View Post
The only reason that I could think of is that the tout is a losing player in search of a new bankroll. As the saying goes..."there is a sucker born every minute...and two to take him".

Thaskalos - With due respect, since I have published detailed analysis and selections, both free and for a fee, for 20+ years, I beg to differ although I wouldn't be surprised there are a few (or more) who fall into that camp.

I have known a few people, excellent handicappers, who sold for other reasons as well as a few dollars. As examples, at one point or another, between writing books and speaking, James Quinn and Tom Brohamer published selections and analysis for a fee.

Personally, it's provided a little side income because when I handicap a race I do so for me and it's no problem to put my thoughts on paper and share them. I may be different in other ways because I provide the reasoning/methodology I used to arrive at the contenders. Maybe that separates touts from some other moniker (fan educator?). Most of what I do now is free via analysis blogs for ADWs and Equibase/ABR so also I wonder if whether there is a fee changes the word from tout to something else.
ubercapper is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-08-2019, 02:12 PM   #8
thaskalos

Quote:
Originally Posted by ubercapper View Post
Thaskalos - With due respect, since I have published detailed analysis and selections, both free and for a fee, for 20+ years, I beg to differ although I wouldn't be surprised there are a few (or more) who fall into that camp.

I have known a few people, excellent handicappers, who sold for other reasons as well as a few dollars. As examples, at one point or another, between writing books and speaking, James Quinn and Tom Brohamer published selections and analysis for a fee.

Personally, it's provided a little side income because when I handicap a race I do so for me and it's no problem to put my thoughts on paper and share them. I may be different in other ways because I provide the reasoning/methodology I used to arrive at the contenders. Maybe that separates touts from some other moniker (fan educator?). Most of what I do now is free via analysis blogs for ADWs and Equibase/ABR so also I wonder if whether there is a fee changes the word from tout to something else.
As I was writing my prior post last night...it occurred to me that I might offend certain well-meaning individuals who might be providing a handicapping service for a fee which could be construed as "touting". But I submitted my post anyway because the unscrupulous form of touting that I rail against has been maligning our game for far too long...and has contributed greatly to the game's tarnished reputation. When I say "tout", I'm not talking about you...or anybody else who bothers to add something substantial to the handicapping arsenal of the long-suffering player out there. I am talking about the louse who advertises himself as a "winner"...and then assures the gullible public that they will be winners too if they follow his picks...even though he knows that the chances of that happening are practically NIL. I don't care if one's name is Ubercapper, Thaskalos, Dahoss, Quinn or Brohamer...NONE of us have a big enough edge on the game to afford the luxury of sharing our picks with the general public ahead of time, and still remain "winners". And, the more "famous" the tout is...the more dismal will be the betting results of his publicly released picks.

I don't know why Quinn, Brohamer and Davidowitz joined a selections service (I think they were also releasing their picks by phone ala Jim Fiest, et al)...but they must have known that the game isn't large enough to support this sort of piggy-backing...and if they advertised their picks as "winning selections"...then they too committed an injustice against the players and the game...IMO.

Last edited by thaskalos; 04-08-2019 at 02:13 PM.
thaskalos is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-09-2019, 02:35 AM   #9
clicknow

I've never purchased a tip sheet.

That would take all the fun out of my hobby....I am only a recreational player but I very much enjoy figuring out the puzzles myself.
clicknow is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-10-2019, 09:18 AM   #10
hyipro

year 1989 paid $10.00 for a tip

Dandy Candy ran at AQ NY bet $500 to win paid $125.00 to win, that was
a good tip..............
hyipro is offline   Reply With Quote Reply