Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Racing Discussion

Old 03-17-2019, 08:26 PM   #121
the little guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dahossdaboss View Post
Just so we’re clear Drayden VanDyke agreed with me. What would he know?

Someone should tell him a trainer that trained 3 decades ago and a 40 year old that still calls people bro disagree with him.
Both the track Super, the real one, and Mick Peterson, considered the greatest expert on track surfaces in the world, also agree with you.

What do they know compared to the track surface experts here?
the little guy is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-17-2019, 09:05 PM   #122
Fager Fan
Veteran

No one knows.

I've heard that this is mostly the track secretary's fault, forcing horses to race. The problem with that theory though is that half the breakdowns came in training, and they're not forcing the graded stakes winners to run (think 3 of them are on the list).

I've heard it's the track. The problem with that theory is that top horsemen are saying the track's fine. And we have experts who have checked it and say it's fine.

We need to see what those necropsies say, and look at their vet records. Then we might have some idea of what is going on.

Kentucky, too, has spiked in break downs and are looking for the cause.
Fager Fan is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-17-2019, 11:53 PM   #123
foregoforever

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rex Phinney View Post
Of the 22 dead horses, they are from 19 different trainers. Did all the trainers get together and conspire to push their horses to breakdowns?
Keep in mind, callous though it sounds, that the task is not to explain why 22 horses died. It's to explain why about a third of them died. Santa Anita has had a fatality rate significantly higher than the norm for years now. Two years ago, 14 had died in the same period. So the delta from "business as usual" is 8 or so.

While his forum manners may be a bit lacking at times, dahoss has a plausible argument. Go back and read the Bloodhorse interview with Ritvo at the start of the meet. He makes it clear that TSG is becoming more aggressive in SoCal. They want Los Al's dates. They want more stalls. And Ritvo was sent out there to increase profits. Increasing field size comes through loud and clear as a main objective. And how do you do that? You're never going to get any more shippers to come in. No new operations are coming in. The only way is to push trainers to run their horses. That had to be job 1 for the new RS.

Then read the BH articles with the Ruis bunch. The father complained about not being able to get stalls. The daughter complained, in early February, that the new RS harassed her to run a horse that she wanted to scratch because she felt the track was unsafe and accused the RS of threatening her with losing stalls. Ritvo and the RS have emphasized several times that stall allocations will be strictly based on statistics - whoever runs horses gets the stalls. If you're a trainer with a small or medium string, there has to be more pressure on you to run. If those guys have a few horses that need some time off, what are they supposed to do? Give them a break and your statistics go down and you likely lose stalls? Or try to keep them in training?

As for the track, Moore has found no problems. He hasn't said anything, or perhaps been asked about, the repeated sealing and unsealing that's been going on throughout the wet weather. What would he have done differently? And why was he "retired" in the first place? I wish I knew. Of course, I doubt that he'd answer those questions if asked, since he's being paid by SA.

Then TSG announces their new drug policy to great fanfare and suddenly looks like the hero in all this, despite the fact that drugs can't be the explanation for the current crisis. Then they back off two days later. Was the point in all of that to deflect attention for their own contribution to this mess?

And then, to top it all off, the guy that has been doing the best reporting on all of this from Day 1 - Jeremy Balan - finds himself out of a job in the midst of the biggest story about the business in years. I don't think you need to be a cynic to start connecting those dots.
foregoforever is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-18-2019, 12:39 AM   #124
dilanesp

Quote:
Originally Posted by foregoforever View Post
Keep in mind, callous though it sounds, that the task is not to explain why 22 horses died. It's to explain why about a third of them died. Santa Anita has had a fatality rate significantly higher than the norm for years now. Two years ago, 14 had died in the same period. So the delta from "business as usual" is 8 or so.

While his forum manners may be a bit lacking at times, dahoss has a plausible argument. Go back and read the Bloodhorse interview with Ritvo at the start of the meet. He makes it clear that TSG is becoming more aggressive in SoCal. They want Los Al's dates. They want more stalls. And Ritvo was sent out there to increase profits. Increasing field size comes through loud and clear as a main objective. And how do you do that? You're never going to get any more shippers to come in. No new operations are coming in. The only way is to push trainers to run their horses. That had to be job 1 for the new RS.

Then read the BH articles with the Ruis bunch. The father complained about not being able to get stalls. The daughter complained, in early February, that the new RS harassed her to run a horse that she wanted to scratch because she felt the track was unsafe and accused the RS of threatening her with losing stalls. Ritvo and the RS have emphasized several times that stall allocations will be strictly based on statistics - whoever runs horses gets the stalls. If you're a trainer with a small or medium string, there has to be more pressure on you to run. If those guys have a few horses that need some time off, what are they supposed to do? Give them a break and your statistics go down and you likely lose stalls? Or try to keep them in training?

As for the track, Moore has found no problems. He hasn't said anything, or perhaps been asked about, the repeated sealing and unsealing that's been going on throughout the wet weather. What would he have done differently? And why was he "retired" in the first place? I wish I knew. Of course, I doubt that he'd answer those questions if asked, since he's being paid by SA.

Then TSG announces their new drug policy to great fanfare and suddenly looks like the hero in all this, despite the fact that drugs can't be the explanation for the current crisis. Then they back off two days later. Was the point in all of that to deflect attention for their own contribution to this mess?

And then, to top it all off, the guy that has been doing the best reporting on all of this from Day 1 - Jeremy Balan - finds himself out of a job in the midst of the biggest story about the business in years. I don't think you need to be a cynic to start connecting those dots.
This is a hell of a good post.
dilanesp is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-18-2019, 07:38 AM   #125
Dahossdaboss
Veteran

Quote:

Thank you for this. To be fair, I received the first two shots. I just responded. This is what I’ve been saying all along.

Hopefully with the way you’ve presented it, it’s a little more well received.
Dahossdaboss is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-18-2019, 08:56 AM   #126
Tom
The Voice of Reason!

So with all these threads on this topic, let's take a moment to tie up loose ends.

Racing resumes this week.
What is different at SA than two weeks ago?
What steps will be in place to ensure the safety of the horses and riders?
Old 03-18-2019, 09:17 AM   #127
tophatmert

So the first week or so of the SA "new era" may be the most important week of racing we have had in our times?
tophatmert is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-18-2019, 10:33 AM   #128
the little guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom View Post
So with all these threads on this topic, let's take a moment to tie up loose ends.

Racing resumes next week, 3/29.
the little guy is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-18-2019, 10:57 AM   #129
Tom
The Voice of Reason!

See, they can't even get that straight!

The other questions still apply.
Now add, why delay a week? To get what accomplished?
Other than more misinformation.
Old 03-18-2019, 11:24 AM   #130
elhelmete

Quote:

Pretty much sums it all up perfectly.
elhelmete is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-18-2019, 11:56 AM   #131
bob60566
Vancouver Island

There must be some underlying issue and, by extension, that something can – or must – be done to address it.

And that is the end of the story for the delay.
bob60566 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-18-2019, 12:11 PM   #132
Rex Phinney

Quote:
See, they can't even get that straight!

The other questions still apply.
Now add, why delay a week? To get what accomplished?
Other than more misinformation.

They have to get the changes approved by the CHRB. And that requires a 10-day period after the vote I believe.
Rex Phinney is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-18-2019, 02:19 PM   #133
Redboard
$2 Showbettor

Quote:

There will be different medication rules, I believe.

But the biggest change will be they will run the Big Cap on the same day as the SA derby. Should be a nice card.
Redboard is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-18-2019, 03:05 PM   #134
cutchemist42

Quote:

Great post, I'm with you on the explanation.

The problem is still that PETA and the media will be clinging to every death whether it's at still the high rate or comes back down to their regular breakdown rate.

Last edited by cutchemist42; 03-18-2019 at 03:07 PM.
cutchemist42 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-18-2019, 08:15 PM   #135
chadk66

I have to question the size of the fields in those two big races. Hard to justify running a horse of that caliber there right now
chadk66 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply