Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Off Topic > Off Topic - General

Old 06-14-2020, 03:57 PM   #16
PaceAdvantage
PA Steward

Quite frankly, it's SO unbelievable that this happened....AGAIN...that I'm starting to think it's all staged...
Old 06-14-2020, 04:25 PM   #17
cj
@TimeformUSfigs

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaceAdvantage View Post
Quite frankly, it's SO unbelievable that this happened....AGAIN...that I'm starting to think it's all staged...
People blow themselves up for a cause, so I guess anything is possible. In this case you would have to get the other guy to cooperate too though.
cj is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-14-2020, 04:52 PM   #18
zico20

The cop was fired, and now they want charges brought up against the officer. For all you dumb ass Democrats that agree, here is what you are missing. They claim a taser is a non lethal weapon. He pointed a taser at the officer! Do you know what a taser does to you? It renders you helpless! At which point he grabs your pistol and shoots you! Further, a taser looks like a pistol! So in the heat of the moment, is he certain that it's only a taser and not a gun pointed at him? It all happened so fast!
The city of Atlanta will be paying the fired cop big money. No investigation, just the mayor being judge and jury. This is a lawyers dream case. He was fired because the black mayor is afraid that her black constituents are going to burn the city to the ground if it is classified as a justifiable shooting. Since when does the fear of looting and rioting dictate what should be done. If this was a black cop shooting a white guy he would still have his job. Or if this happened in a smaller town with no black people to cause mayhem and destruction, the cop would still have his job.

Once you point a weapon at a cop, expect to be shot!
Old 06-14-2020, 05:00 PM   #19
tucker6

Quote:
Originally Posted by lansdale View Post
How does a simple DUI bust escalate into a killing? The news story coverage linked below offers an edited version -- both cops' bodycam videos are available. When the cops pursue Brooks after he grabs the taser, he turns and stuns the lead cop with the taser, then the second cops kills him. Brooks used a non-lethal weapon on the cops. As cj asked, how does that justify the use of lethal force to subdue him? He was very drunk, as the bodycam videos made clear. They would have soon overtaken him on foot and could have tackled him. Even if he did get away and went home -- since, as he mentioned, he lived nearby -- they had his car and ID.

This kind of incident -- a cop killing a perp, who has resisted arrest and is running away, by shooting them in the back -- has become a very common sight in the past few years. I don't know the relevant Georgia statute, but the penalty for resisting arrest in many places is two years and/or a $5k fine. When did resisting arrest become a mortal crime? Anybody remember the old Mickey Spillane book "I, The Jury?"

The police chief of Atlanta has resigned and the cop who killed Brooks has been fired.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=PnCFLLmT49s
I have zero empathy for the guy who got killed. None whatsoever. You resist arrest, steal a taser, point the taser at a cop and pull the trigger, you're chances of dying grow enormously. Darwin Award winner.
tucker6 is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-14-2020, 05:03 PM   #20
cj
@TimeformUSfigs

Quote:
Originally Posted by zico20 View Post
The cop was fired, and now they want charges brought up against the officer. For all you dumb ass Democrats that agree, here is what you are missing. They claim a taser is a non lethal weapon. He pointed a taser at the officer! Do you know what a taser does to you? It renders you helpless! At which point he grabs your pistol and shoots you! Further, a taser looks like a pistol! So in the heat of the moment, is he certain that it's only a taser and not a gun pointed at him? It all happened so fast!
The city of Atlanta will be paying the fired cop big money. No investigation, just the mayor being judge and jury. This is a lawyers dream case. He was fired because the black mayor is afraid that her black constituents are going to burn the city to the ground if it is classified as a justifiable shooting. Since when does the fear of looting and rioting dictate what should be done. If this was a black cop shooting a white guy he would still have his job. Or if this happened in a smaller town with no black people to cause mayhem and destruction, the cop would still have his job.

Once you point a weapon at a cop, expect to be shot!
That might hold water if he were the only cop there.
cj is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-14-2020, 05:08 PM   #21
tucker6

Quote:
Originally Posted by cj View Post
I do as well.

The taser was fired and he missed. How many shots do they have? I'm sure it sucks to get shot with one of those. In the end it doesn't matter. He didn't need to be killed. I can't even see that argument as reasonable on any level given this guys crimes.
I'm tired of defending stupidity. Some stupid gestures lead to death. Could the cops have taken different action? Absolutely. Did the perp get himself killed by his actions? Absolutely. Before we get all judgmental, I'd like all of us to be in such a high stress situation and see how easy it is to calmly and dispassionately assess the situation in real time when anything is pointed at you by someone not in their right mind.

There are many videos by black people saying the best thing to do and say when stopped by police is "yes sir" and "here you go sir". I practice that myself and guess what, I've never been shot, tasered, beaten, or hassled. I'm white but I bet it works for everyone.
tucker6 is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-14-2020, 05:19 PM   #22
Vinnie

Excellent post. What you have stated clearly outlines or discusses a given officer's "perception" which of course differs for every individual or person. From viewing the simple video available it is not quite clear as to whether or not (probably not) the officers clearly had the opportunity to conduct a proper search of Mr. Brooks person prior to the moment arriving where he (R. Brooks) began to get combative which unfortunately led to the eventual scuffle with the police. Due to the fact that R. Brooks fought with the officers and while engaged in that activity with the officers chose to take one of their tasers in the process, it could be argued that there existed a strong likelihood that Mr. Brooks was potentially armed. When someone turns to face you waiving what you believe to apparently be a weapon a simple moments hesitation to act can sadly be your very last.

Vinnie

"All Human error is impatience; a premature renunciation of method"- F. Kafka
Vinnie is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-14-2020, 05:33 PM   #23
GMB@BP

George Floyd was cut and dried....

this a little less clear. Could have, should have. I read cops should be extra careful now.

I agree. Lets not forget there have been at least 2 police assassinations the past week so it should go both ways. Right now everyone is on edge.
GMB@BP is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-14-2020, 05:34 PM   #24
oughtoh

The Mayor also fired 5 policeman for using a taser saying it was a lethal weapon. So in one instance it is a lethal weapon and then Friday it wasn't. Did the policeman that shot him know he took a taser or could he have thought he got the gun. This Mayor is also hoping to be Biden's running mate.
oughtoh is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-14-2020, 05:38 PM   #25
MONEY

Drunk driving cases made by regular patrol cops and not involving accidents with injuries don't get prosecuted.

In my day we didn't have body cams so in a case like this, since he lived nearby we would have taken him home.

If he lived far, we would have taken his car keys to the station house.
By the time he made his angry walk to the station house and back to his car, he would have been quite sober.

I saw a clip from a cop show on the news last night.
The cop ended up issuing a man a summons for possession of a nickle bag of marijuana.
I believe that if there were no video the cop would have just told the guy to pour the grass on the
ground and then let him go.

Body cams are not always a good thing.

I don't know the cop that killed Rayshard, so I don't know what would've happened without Body Cams.

In this case the body cam put a cop into a position where he had to make an arrest in a situation where he might have
looked the other way. Everything went downhill from there.

BTW
A taser makes a popping sound when fired.
Some times sadly and often times rightfully, cops respond to popping sounds in confrontational situations with gunfire.
Old 06-14-2020, 05:49 PM   #26
FantasticDan
gelding

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinnie View Post
From viewing the simple video available it is not quite clear as to whether or not (probably not) the officers clearly had the opportunity to conduct a proper search of Mr. Brooks person prior to the moment arriving where he (R. Brooks) began to get combative which unfortunately led to the eventual scuffle with the police.
Um, he was detained for 40 minutes before they decided to arrest him. He’d been searched thoroughly, they only found his wallet.
FantasticDan is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-14-2020, 05:53 PM   #27
Tom
The Voice of Reason!

Quote:
Originally Posted by oughtoh View Post
The Mayor also fired 5 policeman for using a taser saying it was a lethal weapon. So in one instance it is a lethal weapon and then Friday it wasn't. Did the policeman that shot him know he took a taser or could he have thought he got the gun. This Mayor is also hoping to be Biden's running mate.
If the mayor said it was a lethal weapon and fired cops focusing one, that totally changes this.

THIS is on HER, IMHO. Cops need to being control, but their bosses need to, too. You can't operate under political leadership - laws are laws and weapons are weapons. Leadership MUST be consistent. MAYOR are a HUGE part of the problem. This one is auditioning for a job and using cops safety to do it.

Cops best bet these days is REFUSE to make arrests, and let the cities fend for themselves. Call the mayor instead of 9-1-1.
Old 06-14-2020, 05:54 PM   #28
Tom
The Voice of Reason!

Quote:
Originally Posted by FantasticDan View Post
Um, he was detained for 40 minutes before they decided to arrest him. He’d been searched thoroughly, they only found his wallet.
And of course YOU know why he was detained so long, right Smiley?
Old 06-14-2020, 06:03 PM   #29
FantasticDan
gelding

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom View Post
And of course YOU know why he was detained so long, right Smiley?
No, I don't. Do you?
Old 06-14-2020, 06:07 PM   #30
FantasticDan
gelding

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: