Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Racing Discussion

Old 05-04-2020, 05:06 PM   #16
lex

Since Cuomo is unlikely to allow fans I'm not sure why Contessa's point wouldn't be one of the most important to the discussion. For smaller outfits who haven't raced in two months how will the move hit them financially? We're almost to the point of super trainers only. Does this seal that? And does NYRA really want to spend the money for the move?
lex is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-04-2020, 05:09 PM   #17
alhattab

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clocker View Post
By what criteria? You'd have a mass of unhappy ex-fans if you did that.
Probably won't be up to the tracks, it will be driven by the state. That would give the tracks cover. Then you sell tickets in advance so no false/unmet expectations. What is the number? I don't know but would take size of facility and availability of open areas/spaces I suppose.
alhattab is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-04-2020, 05:28 PM   #18
Clocker

Quote:
Originally Posted by alhattab View Post
Probably won't be up to the tracks, it will be driven by the state. That would give the tracks cover. Then you sell tickets in advance so no false/unmet expectations. What is the number? I don't know but would take size of facility and availability of open areas/spaces I suppose.

I wasn't talking about the number, I was talking about who gets the tickets. What criteria for that? Random drawing? That means instant black market for resold tickets, and resellers entering the drawings hundreds of times. And thousands of irate fans who didn't get in.
Old 05-04-2020, 06:09 PM   #19
alhattab

Quote:
I wasn't talking about the number, I was talking about who gets the tickets. What criteria for that? Random drawing? That means instant black market for resold tickets, and resellers entering the drawings hundreds of times. And thousands of irate fans who didn't get in.
Sell them on Ticketmaster and then people can go to secondary market and buy if you couldn’t get the box office sale or decide later you want to attend.
Old 05-04-2020, 07:06 PM   #20
Clocker

Quote:
Sell them on Ticketmaster and then people can go to secondary market and buy if you couldn’t get the box office sale or decide later you want to attend.
A good way to alienate your track's long-time fan base.
Old 05-04-2020, 08:31 PM   #21
alhattab

Quote:
What do you think they should do? Assuming they would have to limit attendance. Maybe go to last years season subscribers first. Go to NYRA bets members with most on-track handle last year. Maybe limit # of days one could buy tix and max number of days one could buy. There’s many ways one could do it I suppose. If choice is no fans or limited fans I think they’d go with limited fans and figure out how to beat accommodate those NYRA wishes to accommodate based on its objectives.
Old 05-05-2020, 09:47 AM   #22
Redboard
$2 Showbettor

My genius idea for the day

Quote:
They would have to turn off the small screen TVs and use only the big screens. Saratoga has a bunch of them in the backyard. Would require limiting attendance, monitoring choke points and most importantly relying on people to follow appropriate behaviors whatever they may be. I don't think it's easy but I think it can be done at any decent-sized venue (CD, Bel, Sar, Mth, SA would all be in that category in my view).
If I were NYRA, this is what I would do.

First of all, you must be a NYRA bet member to be able to attend the track and the only way you can bet when you are at the track is via WiFi.

All concessions, betting windows, bars, stands, including the clubhouse/grandstand would be closed. The only thing open would be the restrooms. You will be essentially turning Saratoga race track into a state park with around 500 picnic tables positioned around the entire grounds including the track apron and backyard. Those in the backyard will be positioned to be able to watch the races on one of the tv monitors. There will be some room on the track apron to watch the race with distancing, if you want, but many people normally watch the races on the Tv monitors anyway.

Charge $1000 for the daily use of a picnic table, which includes admission for two. There will be a limit of two at each picnic table. You might say that's a lot money, but here's the incentive. Every time you attend, $500 is a credit which you can use next year to buy SPA tickets for 2021(when everything's back to normal). $100 will go into your normal NYRA bet account, which you use for betting. So you are essentially paying $400 for two people to attend, that's not bad considering that there's absolutely nothing else to do in the area, or perhaps country.

Of course you'll have to bring your own food and drink, which is what people normally do for those who sit at the picnic tables.

This idea of paying for future benefits I got from the cruise industry. Up until two weeks ago, you were able to book a cruise for July and August, when the cruise companies knew damn well that they wouldn't be operating in those months. So after people signed up and paid their deposit, the cruise line cancelled the cruises, and , you guessed it, they didn't refund any money but gave the people credit for future cruises.
Redboard is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-05-2020, 09:56 AM   #23
Tom
The Voice of Reason!

How much to use the restrooms?
And do you cover up every other urinal?

I think that would anger many more fans than it would placate.
Old 05-05-2020, 11:30 AM   #24
alhattab

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redboard View Post
If I were NYRA, this is what I would do.

First of all, you must be a NYRA bet member to be able to attend the track and the only way you can bet when you are at the track is via WiFi.

All concessions, betting windows, bars, stands, including the clubhouse/grandstand would be closed. The only thing open would be the restrooms. You will be essentially turning Saratoga race track into a state park with around 500 picnic tables positioned around the entire grounds including the track apron and backyard. Those in the backyard will be positioned to be able to watch the races on one of the tv monitors. There will be some room on the track apron to watch the race with distancing, if you want, but many people normally watch the races on the Tv monitors anyway.

Charge $1000 for the daily use of a picnic table, which includes admission for two. There will be a limit of two at each picnic table. You might say that's a lot money, but here's the incentive. Every time you attend, $500 is a credit which you can use next year to buy SPA tickets for 2021(when everything's back to normal). $100 will go into your normal NYRA bet account, which you use for betting. So you are essentially paying $400 for two people to attend, that's not bad considering that there's absolutely nothing else to do in the area, or perhaps country.

Of course you'll have to bring your own food and drink, which is what people normally do for those who sit at the picnic tables.

This idea of paying for future benefits I got from the cruise industry. Up until two weeks ago, you were able to book a cruise for July and August, when the cruise companies knew damn well that they wouldn't be operating in those months. So after people signed up and paid their deposit, the cruise line cancelled the cruises, and , you guessed it, they didn't refund any money but gave the people credit for future cruises.
If it were up to me I would open up more. No reason why you can't open restaurants and concessions. Order on an app and pick up contactless + you have to wear a mask when you're walking around. Restaurants seat at every x table to keep distance, servers wear masks. Bars are another matter- I don't see opening up the paddock bar for example. Seating- x number of people in a section. No more than 4 together then a gap of say 4 and every x row. Have to wear a mask if walking around. Better off opening more of the facility. I wouldn't juice people as much as you suggest- seems like one is taking advantage of the situation by asking people to fork over a grand to sit in the Spa backyard and pay a year in advance for 2021- but it may have the benefit of preventing gouging at the secondary market.
Old 05-05-2020, 12:22 PM   #25
Clocker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom View Post
I think that would anger many more fans than it would placate.

I agree. Today, Joe Sixpack is in the same boat as everyone else. He can't go to the track because of the virus, just like everybody else. If Richie Richguy can go to the track and he can't because of big bucks, he is going to resent it. It's a change in the order of things, and he is now being discriminated against.
Old 05-05-2020, 12:43 PM   #26
lamboguy

Quote:
that's not a good way to accomplish that, its a spectacular one.
lamboguy is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-05-2020, 05:16 PM   #27
AndyC

Quote:
What do you think they should do? Assuming they would have to limit attendance. Maybe go to last years season subscribers first. Go to NYRA bets members with most on-track handle last year. Maybe limit # of days one could buy tix and max number of days one could buy. There’s many ways one could do it I suppose. If choice is no fans or limited fans I think they’d go with limited fans and figure out how to beat accommodate those NYRA wishes to accommodate based on its objectives.
This isn't rocket science. If I ran a track the season ticket holders would have priority for tickets and the ones who've had tickets the longest would have the highest priority. Any remaining seats could be handled via a lottery.
Old 05-05-2020, 05:47 PM   #28
alhattab

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyC View Post
This isn't rocket science. If I ran a track the season ticket holders would have priority for tickets and the ones who've had tickets the longest would have the highest priority. Any remaining seats could be handled via a lottery.
Agree. Assuming there is enough demand, no matter how you do it you run the risk of alienating some people because they get locked out. They don't fit priority access criteria tickets or they aren't successful otherwise getting tickets through a lottery, on-line sales, etc. Demand overwhelming limited supply happens all the time in the entertainment business and sometimes the loyal customers, die-hard fans, etc. cannot get tickets to or get priced out of events they would like to attend.
Old 05-05-2020, 06:27 PM   #29
AndyC

Quote:
Agree. Assuming there is enough demand, no matter how you do it you run the risk of alienating some people because they get locked out. They don't fit priority access criteria tickets or they aren't successful otherwise getting tickets through a lottery, on-line sales, etc. Demand overwhelming limited supply happens all the time in the entertainment business and sometimes the loyal customers, die-hard fans, etc. cannot get tickets to or get priced out of events they would like to attend.
People understand priority, if the priority is based on something that makes sense. A person with less years as a season ticket holder would certainly understand losing out to someone with more years as a season ticket holder. What they wouldn't understand is something like city council members being able to jump in line ahead of others.
Old 05-06-2020, 09:57 AM   #30
Redboard
$2 Showbettor

Quote:
If it were up to me I would open up more. No reason why you can't open restaurants and concessions. Order on an app and pick up contactless + you have to wear a mask when you're walking around. Restaurants seat at every x table to keep distance, servers wear masks. Bars are another matter- I don't see opening up the paddock bar for example. Seating- x number of people in a section. No more than 4 together then a gap of say 4 and every x row. Have to wear a mask if walking around. Better off opening more of the facility. I wouldn't juice people as much as you suggest- seems like one is taking advantage of the situation by asking people to fork over a grand to sit in the Spa backyard and pay a year in advance for 2021- but it may have the benefit of preventing gouging at the secondary market………………Assuming there is enough demand, no matter how you do it you run the risk of alienating some people because they get locked out. They don't fit priority access criteria tickets or they aren't successful otherwise getting tickets through a lottery, on-line sales, etc. Demand overwhelming limited supply happens all the time in the entertainment business and sometimes the loyal customers, die-hard fans, etc. cannot get tickets to or get priced out of events they would like to attend.
The restaurants inside the track should be subject to the same rules as those in the town. As of now, none in the town are open for in dining, only takeout, but that will most likely change by the summer. To allow the track’s restaurants to do “take out,” and have a server carry an order to a picnic table, is an interesting idea, but would it be worth their while? For one, the crowd will be severely limited. I can’t see them allowing more than 1000 people. Two, most people sitting at the picnic tables prefer to bring in their own food and drink. Three, adding a server in the chain is another pathway to infection. Most catch the disease from someone on the front lines that deal with the general public — supermarket clerks, subway workers, health care workers, etc.

If your proposing opening up the grandstand/clubhouse to fans to watch the races, that’s not going to happen. No outdoor spectator sport is talking about playing in front of fans this summer. I’m talking about people sitting at picnic tables in front of a TV monitor(see attachment). Yes, that $1000 would be expensive but NYRA would have to severely limit the crowd, it wouldn’t be worth their while to charge regular general admission. The risk would far outweigh the reward for them. They may as well stay down at Belmont.

Sure, some of the long-term fans would be upset and you would alienate some, but I think many love Saratoga that they would understand that the track just can’t open it up to hordes of people. The governor/county health department wouldn’t allow it.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg spa_picnic01.jpg (145.1 KB, 12 views)

Last edited by Redboard; 05-06-2020 at 10:02 AM.
Redboard is offline   Reply With Quote Reply