Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Racing Discussion

Old 08-01-2018, 01:03 PM   #151
classhandicapper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spalding No! View Post
I wouldn't believe anything he said either.

But at the same time look at the circumstances surrounding the horse throughout his career (surgical lesion as a yearling, injured and unstarted as a 2yo, grueling schedule to make and win the Triple Crown, distinctly lame after the Kentucky Derby, intermittent training following Belmont) and you cannot simply dismiss the possibility of a career-ending injury with a wave of the hand.
I would not dismiss the possibility that he was less than 100% for the Preakness and Belmont. I don't mean that they took a risk in any way. I think if it wasn't the Triple Crown and they didn't have a big shot to sweep it he would have been rested THEN.

Through the Derby I ranked him similar to American Pharoah at the same stage. But imo, instead of going forward he took a step back in the Preakness and Belmont.
Old 08-01-2018, 01:17 PM   #152
bobphilo

Quote:
Originally Posted by cj View Post
The draw is both and in varying levels for each individual. The horses are still important, they just change more often than people would like. I think the horse is still important, just doesn't matter if we have old stars sticking around or new ones arising to take their place IMO.
You are correct when you say the horses change "more often than people would like". Sports do better when the fans get what they like. This quick turnover of stars cannot help the sport. Sports fans love to follow their heroes through the years. Imagine how interest would wane in any other major sport if every player on a team retired every couple of seasons?
bobphilo is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-01-2018, 01:31 PM   #153
dilanesp

Quote:
Originally Posted by v j stauffer View Post
The Spend A Buck controversy changed the face of the Triple Crown forever. He was alive for a $2,000,000 bonus for winning the Cherry Hill Mile, Garden State Stakes, Kentucky Derby and New Jersey Derby.

When Dennis Diaz and Cam Gambolati decided to skip the Preakness Chick Lang who ran Pimlico went ballistic.

He called Bob Brennan who was running Garden State Park a "Snake Oil Salesman"

Not surprisingly the next year was the first year of the Visa $5,000,000 Triple Crown bonus.

I was the back up announcer to Ralph Siraco that season at GSP.

We opened the meet before the facility was completely ready. That made for a terrifying situation for me.

ESPN had brought Dave Johnson in to call the race. Ralph was going to be part of the broadcast team stationed in the paddock. The plan was to have Dave call the race both on track and for ESPN.

Turns out they couldn't get the ESPN wiring all the way to the announcers booth on the 7th floor. They came up with a plan to get the wiring to the ledge near the photo finish camera and then use a wireless for the on track sound.

Steve Nagler who was the Director of Publicity sent me down to try the hookup a couple of times. I called the 4th and 7th races as a test. The Jersey Derby was the 11th I think. Everything went fine for both dry runs.

Fast forward to about 10 minutes to the big race. The plan was for me to introduce the field in the post parade as well as say 5 minutes, 3 minutes and they're approaching the gate 1 minute. Then Dave would come on for the final horses to load and make the call.

When the field got to the gate and started to load the phone rang. It was Nagler who said " Dave's mic is dead. When the field breaks wait a couple of seconds. If you don't hear anything. Turn on your mic and call the race"

What? I hadn't even memorized the silks!

Needless to say I was very happy and VERY relieved when Dave said " And they're off" for the whole world to hear.

That might have ended my career before it ever got started.

Another interesting note about that race was although Angel Cordero rode Spend A Buck to win the Derby he couldn't ride him that day. So they flew Laffit in to ride him.

Greatest finish by a jock that I've ever seen. He literally picked that horse up and MADE him win. It was against a darn good field too. I Am The Game was in there as was Creme Fraiche who won the Belmont. And Skip Trial.

When you watch the race listen to the long delay between the TV feed and the speakers in the infield. That was a testament to what a consummate pro Dave Johnson was. Is. As if he needed any other distractions besides standing outside on a ledge that wasn't designed for people.

Great job Dave!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CgtwbJk7auM
Mike Battaglia is on that telecast too. So Garden State Park was teeming with race callers that day.
dilanesp is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-01-2018, 02:10 PM   #154
devilsbag
Prefer to be called Dinny

As this discussion continues, another side note is that LeRoy Jolley trained Genuine Risk, who had her famous incident with Codex and Cordero in the 1980 Preakness. Memories were short in this instance, as Cordero rode Track Barron for Jolley and was forced to honor his call in the Met Mile, where he finished third.

Regarding that Jersey Derby, a helicopter ride between the two tracks wasn't out of the question, but apparently NYRA wasn't too excited about helping Bob Brennan or Garden State Park and they wouldn't coordinate any sort of scheduling or even allow a place to land.
devilsbag is offline   Reply With Quote Reply