Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > **TRIPLE CROWN TRAIL**

Old 05-07-2018, 11:45 PM   #106
A. Pineda

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spalding No! View Post
Rather than saying they were overrated Derby winners in those years, I would characterize them as "vulnerable" Derby winners...

...Animal Kingdom was another one-run closer at a disadvantage at Pimlico. He also was relatively inexperienced on a dirt surface and was essentially "lucky" to even find his way into the Kentucky Derby (he was an second-string entry/afterthought for his Derby-qualifying run in the Jim Beam) and had a single main track workout for the Derby. Curiously, he only started on dirt one more time in his career (his disastrous Belmont).

If any of this holds water, then the question becomes: Is Justify a vulnerable Derby winner?
Yes, not only is there a question of Justify's condition in the minds of many fans, but also because he will be facing a predominantly new cast of fresh horses.

Regarding AK, his story is one of thousands that many racing fans find fascinating. As you stated, he wasn't the barn's 1st choice to run in the Derby, but Toby's Corner injured his leg after winning the Wood, so AK's Spiral win was sufficient to earn him a gate.

The 20/1 ML was deserved, as AK had raced on turf and AW, but never on dirt. He was bred for the grass; his sire Leroidesanimaux, and damsire Acatenango were turf champions, and he was 4X4 to Lyphard. However, he may have tipped his hand with a 1:13.17 CD work a week before the Derby.

Robby Albarado had worked him that day, and was scheduled to have the mount in the Derby, but it was not to be. Three days before the Derby Robby was thrown from a horse and kicked in the face, breaking his nose. Although Robby said that he was ready to ride, Team Valor manager Barry Irwin decided to find another rider. (An irate Robby proved he was right by winning a $345,600 stakes race on the Derby undercard.)

John Velazquez had a Derby mount the three previous years, only to have each horse withdrawn. This year fate struck again, as Uncle Mo had a stomach problem, and was withdrawn, leaving J.V once again without a horse to ride in the Derby. Enter Barry Irwin and J.V. picks up the mount on AK the day before the Derby. Previously 0/12, J.V. is victorious with AK the following afternoon.

Two weeks later in the Preakness, AK broke slowly and was 14 lengths back at the half-mile pole, but closed steadily to miss by a half length. As you said, his Belmont was disastrous, when he was bumped, stumbled, and J.V. lost the left iron until they reached the turn.

While he never raced on dirt again, his next five races were an ALW win, two seconds in Gr. I's, and a win in the Dubai World Cup before he retired. He stands at Darley (America) along with Nyquist, Bernardini, Frosted, Street Sense, Hard Spun, and Medaglia d'Oro, and already has a Gr. II winner (Untamed Domain) from his first crop.

Isn't this sport great?
A. Pineda is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-08-2018, 01:02 AM   #107
Spalding No!

Quote:
Originally Posted by A. Pineda View Post
Regarding AK, his story is one of thousands that many racing fans find fascinating. As you stated, he wasn't the barn's 1st choice to run in the Derby, but Toby's Corner injured his leg after winning the Wood, so AK's Spiral win was sufficient to earn him a gate.
Actually, what I meant was that Animal Kingdom was not the barn's first choice to run in the Spiral Stakes.

The original plan was to start a horse called Crimson China in the Spiral, with Animal Kingdom spotted on the undercard in the Rushaway Stakes. However, Crimson China--a Euro import--had less career earnings than the majority of the Spiral nominees and thus was at risk of not getting into the body of the race. This was not the case with Animal Kingdom, so the colt's swapped places even though the barn thought more of Crimson China's chances.

Had Animal Kingdom not run, obviously he would not have had any graded stakes earnings crucial to get a spot in the Kentucky Derby...another amazing detail in his story that highlights how improbable his win was as his connections were essentially clueless with respect to his status as a Derby horse (at least until he had that fast dirt work).

As far as Albarado losing the mount goes, I wouldn't shed a tear. He was in hot water just weeks before for choking out his wife and a year later lost all his Derby Day mounts after bruising up his girlfriend (who might have been the cause for the altercation with his wife the year before).
Spalding No! is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-08-2018, 01:03 AM   #108
boys at tosconova

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoneF View Post
That’s my point ... If there was anything even remotely quality behind him ....

boys at tosconova is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-08-2018, 06:34 AM   #109
PowerUpPaynter

Quote:
Justify 6th slowest SA derby in last 70 years.

Justify 2nd slowest KY derby in last 70 years.

I guess he is on pace to run the slowest Preakness ever.

Super horse .... You betcha !!!
fastest half to ever win the derby. EVER.
PowerUpPaynter is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-08-2018, 09:04 AM   #110
castaway01

Quote:
Justify will probably be the biggest favorite in the history of the Preakness. I mean that literally. You beat him and it’s big payouts ..
Every year there's someone here who says the Derby favorite sucks over and over and over (sometimes it's even the SAME person, hint hint). Since there's only been one TC winner in the last 40 years, they eventually get to tell everyone "I told you so".

Guess you're the guy this year, but Justify could finish 13th out of 12 in the Preakness and it won't make your last 300 posts sound any smarter.
castaway01 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-08-2018, 09:18 AM   #111
LoneF
Veteran

Looking at the horses who are being talked about as possible Preakness runners this field is going to be the biggest joke this race has ever seen.

Who is going to be the second choice ? I am guessing Bravazo who went off at 80-1 in the derby but based on the fact that he finished in the first half of the field he’s the second choice in the Preakness and who is the big new shooter ? Diamond King LOL

The racing gods have given me a monumental task in trying to wade through these sub par horses to find the one that will be the beneficery of the Justify bubble bursting but challenge accepted ..
LoneF is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-08-2018, 09:19 AM   #112
LoneF
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by PowerUpPaynter View Post
fastest half to ever win the derby. EVER.
Well that’s because this was the first derby without one legit closer !!
Old 05-08-2018, 09:24 AM   #113
PowerUpPaynter

Quote:
Looking at the horses who are being talked about as possible Preakness runners this field is going to be the biggest joke this race has ever seen.

Who is going to be the second choice ? I am guessing Bravazo who went off at 80-1 in the derby but based on the fact that he finished in the first half of the field he’s the second choice in the Preakness and who is the big new shooter ? Diamond King LOL

The racing gods have given me a monumental task in trying to wade through these sub par horses to find the one that will be the beneficery of the Justify bubble bursting but challenge accepted ..
dude your just digging your hole deeper. wait til Belmont.

and lets face it after that Mendelssohn, Magnum Moon 19 & 20 exacta you hit there is no coming back from that even if Justify finished dead last in the Preakness.
PowerUpPaynter is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-08-2018, 09:51 AM   #114
LoneF
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by PowerUpPaynter View Post
dude your just digging your hole deeper. wait til Belmont.

and lets face it after that Mendelssohn, Magnum Moon 19 & 20 exacta you hit there is no coming back from that even if Justify finished dead last in the Preakness.
Mendelssohn got wiped out at the start and than assaulted again for good measure .... If your trying to say Justify outran Mendelssohn lol

Bob Baffert “ Hey Mick is everyone on board ? You know we NEED that dream trip to keep the hype train rolling. “

Mick Ruis “ Bob we may have a troublemaker. Word is Mendelssohn is not going to lay down for us . “

Bob Baffert “ What !!! Someone needs to explain to O’Brien how things work around here. We will go as fast as we possibly can for the first half and than when we are crawling home nobody comes running except for Good Magic who will make the token run. “

Mick Ruis “ They are not going along with the plan . “

Bob Baffert : “ Ok you know what to do. Tell that 15 horse to make a immediate left turn and take him out.”

Mick Ruis “ but boss are you sure that will be enough ? That Mendelssohn is a beast. Even if he spots us 10 lengths it’s no sure thing. “

Bob Baffert “ Your right. After the 15 horse wipes him out right after the break. Than have some of the other boys wipe him out again just to make sure “

Mick Ruis “ Ok boss. Hope it’s enough. “
Old 05-08-2018, 10:31 AM   #115
TiffaniO
Queen B

Quote:

Why isn’t your precious Mendy running? It would be a perfect spot for a one on one duel?
TiffaniO is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-08-2018, 10:51 AM   #116
GMB@BP

Quote:
Originally Posted by castaway01 View Post
Every year there's someone here who says the Derby favorite sucks over and over and over (sometimes it's even the SAME person, hint hint). Since there's only been one TC winner in the last 40 years, they eventually get to tell everyone "I told you so".

Guess you're the guy this year, but Justify could finish 13th out of 12 in the Preakness and it won't make your last 300 posts sound any smarter.
:h eadbanger::hea dbanger:
GMB@BP is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-08-2018, 11:12 AM   #117
LoneF
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by TiffaniO View Post
Why isn’t your precious Mendy running? It would be a perfect spot for a one on one duel?
Bob Baffert “ Hey Mick I got a 12500 claiming race at Will Rogers I want you to scout for some potential Preakness runners.”

Mick “ Bob are you sure ? Those 12500 claimers can be a salty bunch. Sure Justify can handle it ? “

Bob “ way ahead of you mick. The racing secretary wrote a special condition for the race . Must have been a vet scratch at least 3 times in the last 4 months.”

Mick “ ok I’m on it boss ! “
Old 05-08-2018, 11:13 AM   #118
LoneF
Veteran

Quote:
A match race between Justify and Mendelssohn lol

One word .... EXPOSED
Old 05-08-2018, 11:16 AM   #119
TiffaniO
Queen B

Quote:
A match race between Justify and Mendelssohn lol

One word .... EXPOSED
Two words, Mendelssohn eased.

If they truly aren’t scared, and think it was a bad start that created the debacle, he surely shouldn’t be knocked out from a race where he lost by 53 lengths...

You think justify 2:04 was slow... mendy’s 2:14 3/5 was literally walking lol

Last edited by TiffaniO; 05-08-2018 at 11:19 AM.
TiffaniO is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-08-2018, 11:28 AM   #120
LoneF
Veteran

Quote:
Two words, Mendelssohn eased.

If they truly aren’t scared, and think it was a bad start that created the debacle, he surely shouldn’t be knocked out from a race where he lost by 53 lengths...

You think justify 2:04 was slow... mendy’s 2:14 3/5 was literally walking lol
Think it was a bad start that created the debacle LOL

Don’t say I never did anything for you. I got one of my best Preakness handicapping angles I will share with you ...

We already know ahead of time what Justify final time will be. Just research the slowest Preakness time ever in the last 70 years and Justify will be right around that just like he was in the SA derby and KY derby.

So find ANY horse that’s capable of beating that time . The tricky part will be getting ahold of the trainers cell phone records to make sure they haven’t gotten a call from Bob or his lackey Mick lately but if you can do that than your golden !!!