Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > **TRIPLE CROWN TRAIL**

Old 05-07-2018, 10:55 AM   #61
Robert Fischer
clean money

The youtube comments sections(in general, not pointing this specific video) may just be the most nonsensical public forum in the history of the universe.

Think LoneF's trolling behavior minus any formal (or informal) education.

They make the triple crown section at it's most bizarre and fervent, look like Plato's inner-circle...

I wouldn't let anything said in the comment section of a youtube influence you.

I would use your eyes. I would be honest with your own circle of competency.

For me, this is outside my circle of competency. I can see that there is something of interest, and that when the horse was led around, he was not moving smoothly and seemed to bear the majority of his weight on his right leg. I don't know exactly (or roughly) how significant that is. I'll be watching his gallop and his paddock and his parade before I commit to anything. I am interested, but I don't consider myself competent enough to form an opinion.

Last edited by Robert Fischer; 05-07-2018 at 10:57 AM.
Robert Fischer is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-07-2018, 12:24 PM   #62
Spalding No!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Fischer View Post
I can see that there is something of interest, and that when the horse was led around, he was not moving smoothly and seemed to bear the majority of his weight on his right leg. I don't know exactly (or roughly) how significant that is. I'll be watching his gallop and his paddock and his parade before I commit to anything. I am interested, but I don't consider myself competent enough to form an opinion.
Unfortunately, we'll be on the outside looking in throughout the whole process.

Simply put, if the horse is exhibiting lameness-whether consistently or intermittently--when only walking (as opposed to a faster gait), it is a significant degree of lameness.

However, that is not to say that the underlying issue necessarily precludes a start in the Preakness (or any future starts for that matter). Both a horse with a fractured bone and a horse with a foot bruise or abscess might walk in the same manner. Properly addressed, a foot issue can resolve fairly quickly in a matter of days (which is why it is often the "go-to" response by a trainer when explaining away a horse exhibiting discomfort right on top of a race).

The Triple Crown is littered with horses that had highly publicized physical issues right on top of the race. In 1989, Sunday Silence, only a week before the Preakness, came out of a morning gallop lame on his right foreleg. His trainer, Charlie Whittingham, believed it to be a foot bruise and surmised that all the recent training and racing the colt had done on wet tracks (where it is soft and loose on top but can expose the horse to the hard track base) led to his condition. Nevertheless, a fracture was ruled out with the appropriate tests. The horse wore bar shoes all the way to the day before the race and ultimately won the race in a thriller over the great Easy Goer.

Perhaps the curious thing in the case of Justify is that his connections did not immediately jump on a foot bruise as--at the very least--the likely excuse for his appearance yesterday. Given the wet track and blistering early pace, that fits much better than a condition (scratches) that takes a while to develop and is often a sign of poor stable management.
Spalding No! is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-07-2018, 12:44 PM   #63
Robert Fischer
clean money

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spalding No! View Post

Perhaps the curious thing in the case of Justify is that his connections did not immediately jump on a foot bruise as--at the very least--the likely excuse for his appearance yesterday. Given the wet track and blistering early pace, that fits much better than a condition (scratches) that takes a while to develop and is often a sign of poor stable management.
Have to leave some possibility that it's true. Maybe it's true.

Seems weird, because the explanation seemed geared toward the flesh rather than why he's favoring a leg. Maybe it's true, and it bothers him quite a bit.

If it was damage control, they did a good job. Story is not being run. No one in racing media wants to put pressure on the reputation of the game and the owners and the trainers.
The reality of the sport is a harsh one - It's driven by money. These windows of opportunity open, and the handlers have to do their best to take a shot. They aren't going to hold off the Preakness until August so that Justify can get to 1000%. But this is one of the few times a year the spotlight hits the game, and you just can't say "Oh, he's dealing with a tendon issue, but this race could mean tens-of-millions, so we're going to mask the pain and try to get him to run near his best". If a football player plays the Superbowl with a concussion, or a torn acl, or a separated shoulder, -he's considered brave or even 'heroic'. Horses don't get to volunteer. Someone asked why would a trainer downplay. Because he's gonna run, and there's a certain code that protects the sport, and the humans.
Old 05-07-2018, 01:10 PM   #64
098poi

On another note Bolt came out ok. Here's an article about him and his trainer post derby. No excuses. I had him as my pick and if he lost so did I. No savers without him top. I am disappointed he lost but proud of myself for sticking to my pick. Ruis seems to be handling it well.

http://www.sandiegouniontribune.com/...506-story.html
098poi is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-07-2018, 01:43 PM   #65
Grits

https://www.horseracingnation.com/ne...ay_morning_123

Quote:
Baffert said he has scheduled four to five days of just walking for Justify as he trains up to the second leg of the Triple Crown, the May 19 Preakness Stakes. The earliest it’s expected to see the horse back on track is Wednesday.
Grits is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-07-2018, 02:00 PM   #66
SkunkApe

Quote:
The youtube comments sections(in general, not pointing this specific video) may just be the most nonsensical public forum in the history of the universe.

Think LoneF's trolling behavior minus any formal (or informal) education.

They make the triple crown section at it's most bizarre and fervent, look like Plato's inner-circle...

I wouldn't let anything said in the comment section of a youtube influence you.

I would use your eyes. I would be honest with your own circle of competency.

For me, this is outside my circle of competency. I can see that there is something of interest, and that when the horse was led around, he was not moving smoothly and seemed to bear the majority of his weight on his right leg. I don't know exactly (or roughly) how significant that is. I'll be watching his gallop and his paddock and his parade before I commit to anything. I am interested, but I don't consider myself competent enough to form an opinion.
Robert Fischer is my favorite poster.
SkunkApe is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-07-2018, 02:30 PM   #67
Gerard02

YOu can clearly see him limping a bit.
Gerard02 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-07-2018, 02:46 PM   #68
Spalding No!

Quote:
If it was damage control, they did a good job. Story is not being run. No one in racing media wants to put pressure on the reputation of the game and the owners and the trainers.
A weak-willed and complicit racing media is one of the worst attributes the sport currently suffers from.

Quote:
But this is one of the few times a year the spotlight hits the game, and you just can't say "Oh, he's dealing with a tendon issue, but this race could mean tens-of-millions, so we're going to mask the pain and try to get him to run near his best".
Sure you can--sans the bolded portion--if you operate with transparency, honesty, and concern. Sunday Silence's lameness was not covered up, and Whittingham even stated that had it been a race of lower quality than the Preakness he would have skipped the race and given the horse enough time to completely recover. No one--in print anyways--balked at that declaration because Whittingham was pursuing the problem, calling in the appropriate experts, and monitoring the horse closely up until the day of the race.

Louie Roussel did the same with Risen Star before the Belmont in 1988. That colt had a major issue--a strained suspensory--and the progression of the issue was reported in the press. The colt won the race by a pole but had to be retired only a few weeks later. I don't recall too much backlash in the press, but certainly Roussel was not sugar-coating the issue and was transparent with everything going on behind the scenes leading up to his decision to run.

I don't expect that Justify will run in the Preakness if he has a major problem. However, the connections of Justify--and the racing media--will be doing the sport a disservice if they brush this off as merely a few incidental missteps the day after the Derby and don't follow up on the horse's condition publicly, if for no other reason than failing to show to the public that concern for the horse's well-being is the top priority.

That's what was displayed with Sunday Silence and Risen Star regardless of the ultimate outcomes and regardless of whether on an individual level one agreed with the conduct of their handlers in pursuing a major race with an physically-compromised horse.
Spalding No! is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-07-2018, 05:16 PM   #69
SecretAgentMan

The publicity office of Maryland Jockey Club reports trainer Bob Baffert said May 7 he was not concerned about a condition in the left hind foot.

"It's not an issue," the Hall of Fame trainer said. "It was sensitive there. It's like a diaper rash, what he's got. He looked great today."

Jimmy Barnes, Baffert's chief assistant who is overseeing Justify's care at Churchill Downs, reported that "all was good" with the Derby winner, who had his second walk day Monday and likely will have two more before returning to the track.
SecretAgentMan is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-07-2018, 09:24 PM   #70
Fager Fan
Veteran

PETA Senior Vice President Kathy Guillermo issued the following statement: “PETA is calling on the stewards at Churchill Downs to order an immediate and independent veterinary examination of Justify and to review all his veterinary records and medications for the last year. He appeared to be avoiding putting weight on his left hind leg at a news conference yesterday–a condition dismissed by trainer Bob Baffert as “scratches” brought on by the muddy track at the Kentucky Derby. However, this skin condition typically leads to lameness only when it’s chronic. PETA wants to know: Has Justify been suffering from a chronic ailment that has led to lameness, or is he injured? If he’s injured, he must not be allowed to race in the Preakness–and PETA is not confident that Mr. Baffert will reveal the horse’s true condition.”
Fager Fan is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-07-2018, 09:27 PM   #71
cj
@TimeformUSfigs

Quote:
Originally Posted by 098poi View Post
On another note Bolt came out ok. Here's an article about him and his trainer post derby. No excuses. I had him as my pick and if he lost so did I. No savers without him top. I am disappointed he lost but proud of myself for sticking to my pick. Ruis seems to be handling it well.

http://www.sandiegouniontribune.com/...506-story.html
The only excuse was the idiotic ride which was probably suggested by Ruis.
cj is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-07-2018, 09:31 PM   #72
PointGiven

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fager Fan View Post
PETA Senior Vice President Kathy Guillermo issued the following statement: “PETA is calling on the stewards at Churchill Downs to order an immediate and independent veterinary examination of Justify and to review all his veterinary records and medications for the last year. He appeared to be avoiding putting weight on his left hind leg at a news conference yesterday–a condition dismissed by trainer Bob Baffert as “scratches” brought on by the muddy track at the Kentucky Derby. However, this skin condition typically leads to lameness only when it’s chronic. PETA wants to know: Has Justify been suffering from a chronic ailment that has led to lameness, or is he injured? If he’s injured, he must not be allowed to race in the Preakness–and PETA is not confident that Mr. Baffert will reveal the horse’s true condition.”
How is it that peta is in the postion to demand anything? Why is the general public so dumb?
PointGiven is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-07-2018, 10:23 PM   #73
LoneF
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkunkApe View Post
Robert Fischer is my favorite poster.
I thought you said I was your favorite poster .
LoneF is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-08-2018, 10:05 AM   #74
Tom
The Voice of Reason!

He reminded me of a second stage of a Saturn rocket - just as Justify "blasted" into the stretch, he quietly fell back and away, having no more fuel left.

From now on, I shall refer to him as "Sham!"

(There is no truth to the rumor that Smith yelled back to Victor, "Hold my beer and watch this!")

Last edited by Tom; 05-08-2018 at 10:07 AM.
Tom is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-08-2018, 10:52 AM   #75
Ruffian1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fager Fan View Post
This is completely untrue.
Ruffian1 is online now   Reply With Quote Reply