Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > **TRIPLE CROWN TRAIL**

Old 05-07-2018, 06:45 PM   #76
GMB@BP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spalding No! View Post
In the last 10 years or so some big prices have come down the pipe in the Preakness. Cloud Computing, Oxbow, Shackleford, and Bernardini were double digit odds. Even Curlin paid out at nearly 7-2.
I think in every one of those context the Derby win was overrated, or a circumstance that helped the case.

Barbaro broke down, so that race is hard to even gauge .

Always Dreaming obviously relished the off going and was never as good a horse as that race suggested.

Orb did have a dream setup, the pace was insane in that Derby and he was not chasing a Justify setting it. His connections also helped inflate the price.

Curlin, at 7/2, against a 2 year old champion in Street Sense trained by a master horseman, shows just how talented people though of him. In most cases you should have gotten better than 7/2.

I dont recall the Shackelford race other than I dont think Animal Kingdom race was that highly regarded.
GMB@BP is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-07-2018, 07:08 PM   #77
Afleet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom View Post
Slow late - so where were all the other GREAT racehorses behind him?

Sucking air.
carrying 40 lbs extra weight in mud

Last edited by Afleet; 05-07-2018 at 07:09 PM.
Afleet is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-07-2018, 07:26 PM   #78
LoneF
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by clicknow View Post
Preakness isn't usually a money maker. The Belmont is a race that will have better odds, and there are less horses that can successfully run that particular race. If i were you I'd save my $ for the 3rd leg.
Justify will probably be the biggest favorite in the history of the Preakness. I mean that literally. You beat him and it’s big payouts ..
LoneF is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-07-2018, 07:31 PM   #79
SkunkApe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinnie View Post
I never stated that he or any other horse was the "Best Ever"! I haven't seen them all run, so, I would never make such a proclamation. He is without a doubt one Incredible Horse however.
That, plus he runs like God.
SkunkApe is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-07-2018, 07:34 PM   #80
TiffaniO
Queen B

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoneF View Post
I didn’t want to bring this up BUT ...

The super paid over 190k .... A .10 super paid over 19k

I posted a .10 super that was a $96 investment. I had the 2-4 horses on my ticket correct. If I would have had the heavy favorite on top I would have hit for over 19k profit so let’s not act like I totally missed the race. Did I anticipate Mendelssohn getting wiped out at the start and Justify getting a fairy tale trip that Walt Disney couldn’t have dreamed up any better ... No I did not ...

I will eat, sleep and dream the Preakness for the next 2 weeks. No missteps this time. I will be like a laser... The Preakness will be the crown jewel of my illustrious handicapping career ...

I know Baffert is probably burning up the phone lines now calling all the glue factories in the local Baltimore area trying to fill the race but I won’t let that stop me lol
No 10 cent tickets... I had the whole thing

Attached Images
File Type: jpeg EA6555C2-4ECD-4990-A1B5-B152C2BE07C4.jpeg (308.5 KB, 41 views)
TiffaniO is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-07-2018, 07:34 PM   #81
tucker6

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoneF View Post
Justify will probably be the biggest favorite in the history of the Preakness. I mean that literally. You beat him and it’s big payouts ..
you type too much
tucker6 is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-07-2018, 07:38 PM   #82
Spalding No!

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMB@BP View Post
I think in every one of those context the Derby win was overrated, or a circumstance that helped the case.
Rather than saying they were overrated Derby winners in those years, I would characterize them as "vulnerable" Derby winners--which would allow for the inclusion of Barbaro, whose Derby win was far from overrated.

Quote:
Barbaro broke down, so that race is hard to even gauge .
Barbaro was vulnerable because it was highly likely he had soundness issues going into the race (based on the fact that he was injured only a few strides out of the gate). That's not something a handicapper should hope for or count on, but it's an inherent risk--perhaps more so for a horse coming off 2 weeks rest and a testing Derby trail campaign than a lightly raced colt.

At any rate, Bernardini registered a higher Beyer figure in the Preakness than Barbaro did in the Derby, so there is some evidence the result was not a foregone conclusion had Barbaro been in good shape.

Quote:
Always Dreaming obviously relished the off going and was never as good a horse as that race suggested.
Always Dreaming, up until the Preakness, seemed to be a solid horse. He did fine on a fast track in the Florida Derby and did not appear to need an off-track to move up his performance.

So how was he vulnerable? Simple. Todd Pletcher. Pletcher's record in the Derby is horrendous, but what's even more brutal is the record of his 2 winners of the race (albeit a very tiny sample). Both Always Dreaming and Super Saver went from being consistent horses to outright inferior duds after winning the Derby. Suddenly, neither horse could hit the board in a race of consequence.

In short, as could be gleaned from the 2-for-60+ Derby record, Pletcher squeezes his horses to the last drop on Derby day.

Quote:
Orb did have a dream setup, the pace was insane in that Derby and he was not chasing a Justify setting it. His connections also helped inflate the price.
Orb was a stone one-run closer, a decided disadvantage in the Preakness. He was also a clear post-Derby bust after tearing through the Derby trail. To a lesser degree, the sloppy track may have helped him or hindered Derby also-rans.

Quote:
Curlin, at 7/2, against a 2 year old champion in Street Sense trained by a master horseman, shows just how talented people though of him. In most cases you should have gotten better than 7/2.
Nevertheless, the odds were a huge reversal from the Derby, where both he and Street Sense were roughly 5-1 co-favorites. In the Preakness, Street Sense was 7-5 or thereabouts.

Street Sense was vulnerable because he was a bit of a hanger (watch him drift in and swap back to his left lead after getting clear in the Derby as well as his subsequent starts later in the year).

However, more importantly, it wasn't so much that Street Sense was vulnerable as it was that Curlin was able to exhibit his true abilities at Pimlico. Considering his rushed campaign to make the Derby, the large field, his relative inexperience, and his lack of (or the failure of his jock to use) positioning speed, one had every right to expect a move up in the Preakness.

Quote:
I dont recall the Shackelford race other than I dont think Animal Kingdom race was that highly regarded.
Animal Kingdom was another one-run closer at a disadvantage at Pimlico. He also was relatively inexperienced on a dirt surface and was essentially "lucky" to even find his way into the Kentucky Derby (he was an second-string entry/afterthought for his Derby-qualifying run in the Jim Beam) and had a single main track workout for the Derby. Curiously, he only started on dirt one more time in his career (his disastrous Belmont).

If any of this holds water, then the question becomes: Is Justify a vulnerable Derby winner?

I say "yes" for 2 reasons:

(1) his clear discomfort post-race, which may not preclude a start or even a victory, but nonetheless puts him at less than 100% (but at the same time will he need to be 100% against the field that ultimately lines up?)

(2) the sloppy going at Churchill clearly hindered the ability of the other horses to run their true race, somebody might reverse form. But will any of those actually show up (like Curlin) to show their true mettle? Doesn't look like it. I would say Good Magic, if he has an excuse, was a bit too close to the fast opening half 1/2 mile, but probably had no real problems with the slop.
Spalding No! is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-07-2018, 08:00 PM   #83
GMB@BP

I wonder how Chad Brown does on 14 days rest, I dont have him in a Formulator card to yet.
GMB@BP is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-07-2018, 08:19 PM   #84
Spalding No!

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMB@BP View Post
I wonder how Chad Brown does on 14 days rest, I dont have him in a Formulator card to yet.
That's a clear concern, but he has all but ruled Good Magic out of the Belmont Stakes and so can go all-in at Pimlico...if he enters.

Another horse to consider is Instilled Regard. Post-Derby he was supposed to get 30 days rest, which seems a quick decision from a competitive trainer like Hollendorfer, so perhaps he has an issue himself. But if not, given the buzz about Justify's hind leg, I wouldn't be surprised about a change of plans.

In any other barn, stablemates Audible and Noble Indy would be no-brainers to take a crack at Pimlico. Audible ran on fine and Noble Indy was curiously held under stout restraint to stay off the early pace despite improving with blinkers in the Louisiana Derby. The fact that they are Winstar-controlled (as is Quip) just lessens the possibility of an appearance.

Bolt D'Oro with a new rider would have been a welcome addition. The barn, despite good intentions, continues to make the wrong calls at critical moments.

Looks like longshot central after that. Perhaps Casse will toss in something like Telekinesis or Mississippi. Romans and Dallas Stewart will probably chuck in a no-hoper or two as well.
Spalding No! is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-07-2018, 08:37 PM   #85
PowerUpPaynter

Justify will cruise in the Preakness. The payouts will be terrible. Worst betting Preakness is a while.
PowerUpPaynter is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-07-2018, 08:38 PM   #86
dilanesp

Quote:
Originally Posted by TiffaniO View Post
No 10 cent tickets... I had the whole thing
Congratulations! Is your name spelled with an "i" or a "y"?
dilanesp is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-07-2018, 08:39 PM   #87
dilanesp

Quote:
Originally Posted by PowerUpPaynter View Post
Justify will cruise in the Preakness. The payouts will be terrible. Worst betting Preakness is a while.
As I recall, Pharoah's Preakness was pretty slim pickings too.
dilanesp is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-07-2018, 08:45 PM   #88
PowerUpPaynter

Quote:
Originally Posted by dilanesp View Post
As I recall, Pharoah's Preakness was pretty slim pickings too.
Phoarah paid almost even money. Justify will be 1-5, Im thinking more like 2014 or 2008 when big brown won a 40-1 came in 2nd and a 22-1 came in 3rd the tri only paid $168
PowerUpPaynter is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-07-2018, 08:50 PM   #89
SecretAgentMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by PowerUpPaynter View Post
Phoarah paid almost even money. Justify will be 1-5, Im thinking more like 2014 or 2008 when big brown won a 40-1 came in 2nd and a 22-1 came in 3rd the tri only paid $168

If Good Magic runs, Justify might be 3/5, if he doesn't, then yes, possibly 1/5......but the way people are talking about Justify being lame, who knows.
SecretAgentMan is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-07-2018, 08:52 PM   #90
TiffaniO
Queen B

Spelled with an I but the cashier typed in Y and printed it out before I noticed

Thank you BTW
TiffaniO is offline   Reply With Quote Reply