Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Racing Discussion

Old 08-30-2016, 06:57 PM   #61
thespaah

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redboard
One positive experience with a teller at Saratoga this month.

In one of the races I forgot to press "Return Balance" and left around $100 in the machine that I was using to make my bets. Didn't realize it until the next race. Obviously, I thought that the money was long gone, but some one turned it in and the teller gave it back to me even though I tore up the tickets for that race, but I remembered my bet. Usually they need the ticket that you bet for that race- the race you left the amount in the machine.

In the future, I plan to keep all my tickets until I leave for the day.
Some kid betting the machines by the JIm Dandy Bar comes up to the machine next to me claiming he left his voucher. I asked him how long ago. He tells me. With that I direct him to the Voucher booth and told him to tell the voucher seller what happened and to ask for a Tote Supervisor.
I bumped into him later on and asked if he got squared away. He said he was given a new voucher . Most likely because whomever had it, did not cash it yet. ...Cool....I was glad to help him out.
thespaah is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-30-2016, 07:03 PM   #62
EMD4ME
NoPoints4ME

Quote:
Originally Posted by thespaah
Some kid betting the machines by the JIm Dandy Bar comes up to the machine next to me claiming he left his voucher. I asked him how long ago. He tells me. With that I direct him to the Voucher booth and told him to tell the voucher seller what happened and to ask for a Tote Supervisor.
I bumped into him later on and asked if he got squared away. He said he was given a new voucher . Most likely because whomever had it, did not cash it yet. ...Cool....I was glad to help him out.
As a kid who was sneaking bets in from ages I shouldn't state, I THANK YOU!!!!!!!!

Do you KNOW how hard it is to build up a bankroll at such a young age
EMD4ME is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-30-2016, 07:07 PM   #63
thespaah

Quote:
Originally Posted by EMD4ME
As a kid who was sneaking bets in from ages I shouldn't state, I THANK YOU!!!!!!!!

Do you KNOW how hard it is to build up a bankroll at such a young age
To me anyone under the age of 30 is a "kid"....
I Started betting the races at 17....I think I was asked for my ID once.
I played the old "let me dig it out my wallet" routine. Teller told me to get lost.
thespaah is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-30-2016, 07:24 PM   #64
EMD4ME
NoPoints4ME

Quote:
Originally Posted by thespaah
To me anyone under the age of 30 is a "kid"....
I Started betting the races at 17....I think I was asked for my ID once.
I played the old "let me dig it out my wallet" routine. Teller told me to get lost.
I give NYRA credit now. They have signs. If you look under 30 or something like that, we ID.

What a party pooper !

I would've flipped if I couldn't get a wager down back in the day!
Old 08-30-2016, 08:31 PM   #65
hyipro

Gee I am glad I,have a Nassau downs account no problem with my big superfecta payout from Sat of $1.67
hyipro is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-30-2016, 08:33 PM   #66
EMD4ME
NoPoints4ME

Quote:
Originally Posted by hyipro
Gee I am glad I,have a Nassau downs account no problem with my big superfecta payout from Sat of $1.67
Do they still have that 5% surcharge if you don't bet with a 1 day account AND a balance of $300 in it when the bet is made?
Old 08-30-2016, 10:07 PM   #67
letswastemoney

I don't get the appeal of going to the teller anymore. I've always just bet on my smartphone at the track.

At places like Saratoga, it's even easier because their WiFi isn't restricted and lets people access most any site.
letswastemoney is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-30-2016, 10:39 PM   #68
MonmouthParkJoe

Only time I use a teller is to cash out, hopefully

I do enjoy having an actual ticket though, so I use the self service machines all day, and purchase my voucher through there. I dont think I will ever embrace the ADW craze. I still buy a paper form to read versus online even if it is like twice the price.
MonmouthParkJoe is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-30-2016, 11:03 PM   #69
SG4

A pair of stories as to why I am happily betting pretty much exclusively on ADW's now (with withdrawals linked to my checking account) & am gladly avoiding teller interaction:

A few years ago I hit a closing day GP rainbow 6 payout several times over on tickets punched in at Belmont, each ticket worth over $3,000. I bring them in to cash early the next day as to make sure the tellers won't be busy & can give me full attention for the IRS process & large payout. I give the tickets to the teller, he starts getting them ready to process, then I think between a mix of butter fingers & maybe a gentle breeze, 2 of the tickets float off & land squarely into the narrow opening of some random large box behind the tellers, which of course is locked & nobody has the keys to. I think it took them nearly an hour to find someone who could access the keys & finally open this thing up & dig out my tickets. When the whole thing is over, don't think there was even an apology from the supervisor.

Older story back from the days of NYC OTB in 2005 - I hit a pick 6 on my phone account for a 6 figure score. I go to the OTB to withdraw the winnings, asking it to be in the form of a check. Of course this creates some confusions as this doesn't seem to be a method they use all too often, but am told they can do it. Guy comes back eventually and gives me the check, and at that point my account balance is reduced completely. The check looks a little funky, because they used a stamp for the number of zero's, but the stamp was '000' so they stamped that part & wrote in the other digits. Either way I think it'll pass muster, cause I'm young & don't know any better & didn't realize what else was wrong with the check....so I head off to the bank, hand them this check & they're like you've got to be kidding me. The check has no bank routing number on it, and it's from Chemical Bank, which unbeknownst to me was no longer a bank since apparently 1996! Now I realized just how infrequently OTB's paid off winners in checks. So now I"m pretty paranoid that I just got taken somehow & this is going to turn in to some complete disaster. Luckily it only ended up being an inconvenient pain in the butt as we got the OTB comptroller on the phone & he directed me to another branch with an actual functioning checkbook who was able to cut me a new check later that day.

I think I'll take the trade off nowadays for easy movement of winnings over the "fun" of having these stories to tell.
SG4 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-31-2016, 03:06 PM   #70
hyipro

300 balance pays track odds
hyipro is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-31-2016, 08:10 PM   #71
EMD4ME
NoPoints4ME

Quote:
Originally Posted by hyipro
300 balance pays track odds
Thank you hyipro, was just curious.
Old 08-31-2016, 08:11 PM   #72
EMD4ME
NoPoints4ME

Quote:
Originally Posted by SG4
A pair of stories as to why I am happily betting pretty much exclusively on ADW's now (with withdrawals linked to my checking account) & am gladly avoiding teller interaction:

A few years ago I hit a closing day GP rainbow 6 payout several times over on tickets punched in at Belmont, each ticket worth over $3,000. I bring them in to cash early the next day as to make sure the tellers won't be busy & can give me full attention for the IRS process & large payout. I give the tickets to the teller, he starts getting them ready to process, then I think between a mix of butter fingers & maybe a gentle breeze, 2 of the tickets float off & land squarely into the narrow opening of some random large box behind the tellers, which of course is locked & nobody has the keys to. I think it took them nearly an hour to find someone who could access the keys & finally open this thing up & dig out my tickets. When the whole thing is over, don't think there was even an apology from the supervisor.

Older story back from the days of NYC OTB in 2005 - I hit a pick 6 on my phone account for a 6 figure score. I go to the OTB to withdraw the winnings, asking it to be in the form of a check. Of course this creates some confusions as this doesn't seem to be a method they use all too often, but am told they can do it. Guy comes back eventually and gives me the check, and at that point my account balance is reduced completely. The check looks a little funky, because they used a stamp for the number of zero's, but the stamp was '000' so they stamped that part & wrote in the other digits. Either way I think it'll pass muster, cause I'm young & don't know any better & didn't realize what else was wrong with the check....so I head off to the bank, hand them this check & they're like you've got to be kidding me. The check has no bank routing number on it, and it's from Chemical Bank, which unbeknownst to me was no longer a bank since apparently 1996! Now I realized just how infrequently OTB's paid off winners in checks. So now I"m pretty paranoid that I just got taken somehow & this is going to turn in to some complete disaster. Luckily it only ended up being an inconvenient pain in the butt as we got the OTB comptroller on the phone & he directed me to another branch with an actual functioning checkbook who was able to cut me a new check later that day.

I think I'll take the trade off nowadays for easy movement of winnings over the "fun" of having these stories to tell.

LOVE THESE stories! God bless your patience
Old 08-31-2016, 08:35 PM   #73
HalvOnHorseracing

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronsmac
Nyra tellers are the worst. Have been for 35 years .
Longer than that. I learned very early from my grandfather never to touch the bills until they were all in the pile and to not take your eyes off the pile. They could spot a new fish heading to their window with the accuracy of a shark smelling blood in the water. Their favorite move when you went to cash a ticket was to put the change up, then the ones, slight pause while reaching for bills, then the five, another pause, then the tens, pause and finally the 20s. Surprising how many people grabbed the first pile and walked away.
HalvOnHorseracing is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-31-2016, 08:36 PM   #74
dilanesp

Quote:
Originally Posted by 098poi
"Can I make a $2 bet for $1.95? " His reply, "No."

Excellent come back.

It's not the money or the idea someone might be skimming it's the attitude. A cashier should never decide for a customer the "value" of their money. Many times if a cashier has to break open a roll of pennies, nickels or dimes to give me correct change I just say don't worry about it. If they told me not to worry about it first I would be pissed.
+1

I don't care about the nickel. But i do care about the teller trying to make that decision for the OP. The teller's job is to find a nickel or offer a voucher for it.
dilanesp is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-31-2016, 08:56 PM   #75
cj
@TimeformUSfigs

Quote:
Originally Posted by dilanesp
+1

I don't care about the nickel. But i do care about the teller trying to make that decision for the OP. The teller's job is to find a nickel or offer a voucher for it.
That is a long winded way of saying you care about the nickel.
cj is offline   Reply With Quote Reply

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: