Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Off Topic > Off Topic - Computers

Old 05-13-2016, 12:02 PM   #1
Inner Dirt

This page cannot be displayed error Win 7

Short story long version. Wanted to try doing business with the Federal Government DOD again after a 4 year hiatus. I was told by the people running the job bidding website and my girlfriend who works for the Feds all their computers run Windows 7, also that sites function best with Internet Explorer 11. So I get a refurb PC with Windows 7 Professional and put I.E. 11 on it. Also may it be known I have no other choice but
to use satellite internet which has a signal latency of up to 3/4 of a second. Also the speeds vary drastically from 1 MB during high usage periods all the way up to 25 MB in the wee hours of the morning.

The only website so far I can't get to is the one I specifically bought the computer for. I get "This page can't be displayed" and then I run windows network diagnostics and it says the problem is "The DNS server is not responding." Oddly enough I have a Windows XP computer that can access the site with Firefox, but it has issues with passwords. I can access other .Mil sites without issues. If it matters the site I am trying to access is
DIBBS.BSM.DLA.MIL. Any ideas on what to try? I e-mailed the site and haven't heard back. Thanks in advance.
Inner Dirt is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-13-2016, 09:22 PM   #2
Tom
The Voice of Reason!

For some ridiculous reason many companies force you to sue IE. GM, Calsonic-Nissan, at work make me use the POS browser and there are nothing but problems. You have to go in top the options and make numerous setting changes to get the damn things to work. Makes me thing twice about buying a car from either of those. Good luck,,,,you will need it.
Old 05-13-2016, 11:58 PM   #3
hyipro

IE ISSUE

Maybe you should spend $150 and contact Microsoft support, for a one year contract, sounds like something they could handle, since it is business related, the $150 should be well worth it for the support contract.phone number is 800-936-5700, best $150 I ever spent, it took them over 23 hours, to resolve my windows issues, and they did not stop until it was done.
hyipro is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-14-2016, 12:48 AM   #4
Inner Dirt

Quote:
Originally Posted by hyipro
Maybe you should spend $150 and contact Microsoft support, for a one year contract, sounds like something they could handle, since it is business related, the $150 should be well worth it for the support contract.phone number is 800-936-5700, best $150 I ever spent, it took them over 23 hours, to resolve my windows issues, and they did not stop until it was done.
That is idea, but I think the issue is with having satellite internet. Finally got a response from the feds and oddly they told me I could test the issue by using an IP address instead of a web address. They said the result would lead to where the problem was, unfortunately I got two different results, got through to a none functional page (Firefox) and still didn't connect (Internet Explorer).
Will try interacting with the Feds a few more times, then try ViaSat.
Been on the internet over 20 years never had odd issues till the last 4 because of satellite. It can be way worse than dial-up.
Old 05-14-2016, 02:41 AM   #5
wilderness

Most of the problems with satellite internet are the severe bandwidth restrictions.
I've been dealing with a client for a while that runs a B&B.
If a customer comes in and uses their bandwidth, than everybody else is restricted until the end of the month.
In addition, the client uses daily two connections. The Ethernet works fine, the wireless works bad ALL the time.
I've advised them to purchase a router and run a 2d Ethernet into their office, unfortunately some of the satellite providers even have IP restrictions on additional connections by a router.

The SAT service will provide anything you wish, IF your willing to pay through the nose and continue increasing your pay level for other standard service.
The SAT companies, absolutely realize that they have you by the gonads when it comes to an internet connection.

FWIW, I'm not trying to access .mil sites.
I'm still using XP and with only SP2.
Was using FF17, however a couple of websites I frequent refused to accept that version and I had to update to a new ver. 43 (the limit for a new install on XP).

There's no real issue in having multiple browsers on your machine.
ONLY one may be the default.
I'd also suggest that you do not import your bookmarks (needless duplication for a tool you'll use sparingly) into the supplemental browsers.
Install the least amount of options as possible for the additional/supplemental browsers.

Have you tried Chrome?
Old 05-14-2016, 06:53 AM   #6
098poi

I was able to get in with IE 11 from home but yesterday I got some certificate error. On the web it says you can clear the SSL slate,
  1. In Internet Explorer, click Tools, and then click Internet Options.
  2. Click the Content tab, and then click Clear SSL state.
You can also add to trusted sites,

Tools/Internet Options/Security then click the green check and add the website to trusted sites.

Where I work people have to access government sites and many times there are issues just getting to a home page. Good luck
098poi is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-14-2016, 09:05 AM   #7
Inner Dirt

I tried Google Chrome, basically same results. I know all about the bandwidth issues with satellite. It is really annoying when I use the race track feed to watch races and I have to keep shutting it on and off to save bandwidth. That makes me appreciate tracks like Aqueduct where "1 minute to post" means just that. Other tracks might not get a race off for an extra 5 minutes or so and it is harder to time my usage. I wonder are all satellite companies equally as bad? Wild Blue, Excede or whatever they call themselves sucks.
Old 05-14-2016, 09:05 AM   #8
098poi

(make sure date and time is correct, sounds time but it happens)
098poi is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-14-2016, 09:07 AM   #9
Inner Dirt

Quote:
Originally Posted by 098poi
I was able to get in with IE 11 from home but yesterday I got some certificate error. On the web it says you can clear the SSL slate,

1. In Internet Explorer, click Tools, and then click Internet Options.
  2. Click the Content tab, and then click Clear SSL state.
You can also add to trusted sites,

Tools/Internet Options/Security then click the green check and add the website to trusted sites.

Where I work people have to access government sites and many times there are issues just getting to a home page. Good luck

I get the certificate error on a lot of Governemnt sites if I get that far I haven't had issues getting around it.
Old 05-14-2016, 09:10 AM   #10
Inner Dirt

Quote:
Originally Posted by 098poi
(make sure date and time is correct, sounds time but it happens)
Ha,ha, I am well aware of that. I pulled an old computer out of mothballs to use in the shop but needed to download something, so I hooked it to the internet, but nothing worked. Finally figured out the date was way off.
Old 05-14-2016, 10:47 AM   #11
wilderness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inner Dirt
I wonder are all satellite companies equally as bad? Wild Blue, Excede or whatever they call themselves sucks.
I've seen two and they both had similar restriction and/or problems.
As I mentioned previously, if your willing to pay very, very high monthly fees (above the standard packages) they'll provide anything you wish and without restrictions.
Old 05-14-2016, 01:30 PM   #12
Tom
The Voice of Reason!

Someday,computers and the internet will be out of beta testing and ready for use.

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: