Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Handicapping Discussion

Old 03-15-2024, 07:14 PM   #31
racenomics

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaceAdvantage View Post
The most hilarious thing about this thread is that post #2 got completely ignored for some reason
I thought you had thought of a new way to get people clicking on ads :-)
Old 03-15-2024, 07:21 PM   #32
Saratoga

Quote:
Originally Posted by racenomics View Post
I thought you had thought of a new way to get people clicking on ads :-)
It got me several times....
Saratoga is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-15-2024, 09:22 PM   #33
Nitro

Quote:
Originally Posted by castaway01 View Post
I'm sure I'll get roasted for this by the Conley Fan Club, but this comment comes off as really creepy. This isn't Tinder and you shouldn't be tracking down some random woman's contact information because she's in a handicapping contest. Get a life and leave her alone.
Now what sort of "creepy" mind would conjure up thoughts like this based on some very innocent motivations?
Quote:
Originally Posted by CheckMark View Post
I wasn't trying to come off as creepy. Was just saying that it's cool to see young people in the game, especially at a young age. Wasn't actually going to "contact" her ok.

And what fan club? I didn't realize I had one?

Trust me I have a life. I'm at college my friend trying to advance my studies into Broadcasting
CheckMark please! You certainly don’t have to apologize for your comments. Your insights are correct and they make perfect sense to most of the rational thinking people around here.

I think that castaway is really just jealous because you didn’t want to contact him instead of a sharp female handicapper of similar age.
But wait a minute. She qualified for the big contest and he didn’t. So maybe he’s envious of her too?
Nitro is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-16-2024, 12:11 AM   #34
headhawg
crusty old guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nitro View Post
Now what sort of "creepy" mind would conjure up thoughts like this based on some very innocent motivations?

CheckMark please! You certainly don’t have to apologize for your comments. Your insights are correct and they make perfect sense to most of the rational thinking people around here.

I think that castaway is really just jealous because you didn’t want to contact him instead of a sharp female handicapper of similar age.
But wait a minute. She qualified for the big contest and he didn’t. So maybe he’s envious of her too?
Hey Carnac. You have no idea what CheckMark's intentions are or were. And I'm sure you are perfectly innocent and never had a creepy thought in your head. Your replies just indicate your need to be right about all things on PA. Do I think people here overreacted? Probably, but I have no idea what type of person CheckMark is. I did find it a little weird that he made a post regarding her, but then again I never got the impression that he was very worldly or experienced. It was probably just a simple error in judgement, and the morality police had to call him out on it. Let it go.
Old 03-16-2024, 12:42 AM   #35
JustRalph
Just another Facist

She’s not very hard to find actually….

2 min and I have her address and phone……

Stay away…..
Old 03-16-2024, 01:20 AM   #36
wiretowire68

Still

believe that the integrity of this tournament is flawed and do compete to get in and have missed out by cents two to three times and a few dollars in terms of qualifying. If I am wrong or proven wrong in terms of some of the participants I find that certain people in the industry should not be allowed to have the chance to qualify.

I guess when I see people like Karl Broberg, Ed O... Gary Fenton ... etc. I believe that these people work within the industry, so I am not saying that they have extra information. I just believe, particularly Karl Broberg..though I know he is not allowed to bet on his own horses presuming they would ever be entered anyway but lets face it, the knowledge of tell signs may still exist. I know these people are gamblers and love the game but like I said maybe I am wrong but many of the multiple people who have qualified many times are great handicappers but it has always been deemed to be the more inside knowledge you have, the better chance.

I did not compete this year in the NHC but do play in tournaments, it is a difficult task to sit and be calculated with your long shots, then have the presence of mind to be selective in terms of mandatory vs your choice of races. I have seen people online choose every single pick and pray event with every race taking the longest possible morning line on every pick. I have seen them win and seen them lose. I was just wondering if you on here agree with the integrity of allowing certain players or not.
wiretowire68 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-16-2024, 02:15 AM   #37
PalaceOfFortLarned

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiretowire68 View Post
believe that the integrity of this tournament is flawed and do compete to get in and have missed out by cents two to three times and a few dollars in terms of qualifying. If I am wrong or proven wrong in terms of some of the participants I find that certain people in the industry should not be allowed to have the chance to qualify.

I guess when I see people like Karl Broberg, Ed O... Gary Fenton ... etc. I believe that these people work within the industry, so I am not saying that they have extra information. I just believe, particularly Karl Broberg..though I know he is not allowed to bet on his own horses presuming they would ever be entered anyway but lets face it, the knowledge of tell signs may still exist. I know these people are gamblers and love the game but like I said maybe I am wrong but many of the multiple people who have qualified many times are great handicappers but it has always been deemed to be the more inside knowledge you have, the better chance.

I did not compete this year in the NHC but do play in tournaments, it is a difficult task to sit and be calculated with your long shots, then have the presence of mind to be selective in terms of mandatory vs your choice of races. I have seen people online choose every single pick and pray event with every race taking the longest possible morning line on every pick. I have seen them win and seen them lose. I was just wondering if you on here agree with the integrity of allowing certain players or not.
Jealousy will get you nowhere.

I've been beaten by all 4's or all 1's, or by $.10 in contests like yourself. Be better is always the answer.

Karl Broberg is a pretty damn good dude. Very down to Earth as are most of the guys that make the tournament. He trains horses, but he still has to pick winners and advance like anybody else. Amazingly, he has never made the final table with all his supposed advantages.

Anybody and everybody should be welcome to win. Not a tough formula. Pick the same allotment of races amongst your peers and see who comes out on top.

One only has to look at the past champions to realize that collusion, celebrity, connections, or any other imaginable advantage simply doesn't exist.

YOU have to pick winners, and more winners that pay more money on a $2WP wager than anybody else in order to win. Very simple rules, and the person that does it the best for the weekend wins.

Last edited by PalaceOfFortLarned; 03-16-2024 at 02:16 AM.
PalaceOfFortLarned is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-16-2024, 02:22 AM   #38
kingfin66
Bombardier

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustRalph View Post
She’s not very hard to find actually….

2 min and I have her address and phone……

Stay away…..
I am sure we could all do that to one another quite easily, right? And through public sites that you don't even have to sign into. I know that my info is all over the place and yours probably is too.
Old 03-16-2024, 11:23 AM   #39
MJC922

Quote:
Originally Posted by P.Rosa View Post
Ellis Starr is PA Member ubercapper.
Best of luck Ellis, one of the true good guys in my book.
Old 03-16-2024, 12:26 PM   #40
vegasone

Quote:
Originally Posted by PalaceOfFortLarned View Post
Jealousy will get you nowhere.

One only has to look at the past champions to realize that collusion, celebrity, connections, or any other imaginable advantage simply doesn't exist.

One has to be pretty naive to believe that there isn't any "extra" info available from people on the inside. Backstretch info from the right people is very helpful. Is it cheating? I don't know. Just knowing that a horse is really training well can give you a heads up in the race.
Back when only 4 workouts were listed, just keeping tracks of all past workouts was really helpful. Just a little bit more info makes a difference.
Same with breeding info, etc. All it takes is one winner to get you over the top.

As far as collusion, I can't believe it doesn't exist, at least in the preliminaries. I have attended too many contests in the past to not know what is going on. Sometimes it can even be unintentional. If you are at a table and know a certain horse is being played, you may want to try a different horse. At the tables people are always bantering about how this horse looks good etc.
vegasone is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-18-2024, 05:23 PM   #41
speldedo

Quote:
Originally Posted by CheckMark View Post
WOW! That's so cool! She's my age

If she finishes in a high spot (even if she doesn't), I'll ask the NHC for her contact info (or try and find it myself ) to get a partnership going to work together to bring in more younger folks like us.

Could make it happen! Best of luck, Katelynn!

Just as an FYI - she finished 373 out of 757. Not too shabby!
speldedo is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-18-2024, 05:44 PM   #42
JustRalph
Just another Facist

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingfin66 View Post
I am sure we could all do that to one another quite easily, right? And through public sites that you don't even have to sign into. I know that my info is all over the place and yours probably is too.
Not mine. But if you wanted to go deep and spend a few bucks.

I have a pretty common name actually. You would have to weed through several with the same name.

Years back somebody here actually did a background on me. Posted how I was a huge fraud etc and that most of my posts were made up and they “knew my true background”

Too bad they paid for all that info on someone with the same name….but not me.
Old 03-18-2024, 11:56 PM   #43
TrifectaBox

Curb Your Winners

50th Larry David Total .................. $209
TrifectaBox is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-19-2024, 12:19 AM   #44
TrifectaBox

Here's a printout of all the NHC finishers and their total winnings
Attached Files
File Type: pdf NHC2024result.pdf (348.8 KB, 49 views)
TrifectaBox is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-19-2024, 02:15 AM   #45
PIC6SIX

Cool

I totally agree with you Palace. I PERSONALLY MADE THE FINAL TABLE AND I AM JUST AN "AVERAGE JOE HANDICAPPER" without any so called inside information. I just try to use my analytical skills when reviewing the PPs. Besides Karl Broberg, Gary Johnson (Ohio trainer, TDN, MVR) was also in the contest and I do not think he made the top 77 cut. I believe the contest trainers can read horse body language better than the average player and are more adept at identifying trainer angles. I was a Youngstown, Ohio native (now reside in CA) and followed TDN and MTN racing and Gary always seemed to be a "Above Board Good Guy". If one is looking for collusion, they need to look no further than the stock market. The NTRA/NHC is a GREAT EVENT, you have qualify at least once to know what I am talking about. That is my story and I am sticking to it.
PIC6SIX is offline   Reply With Quote Reply