Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Off Topic > Off Topic - Sports

Old 09-29-2023, 09:35 AM   #1
Teach

Sports Talk Shows: An Axe to Grind

I admit it. I’m a sports-talk “junkie.” I need my “daily fix.” It can come mornings, afternoons, or evenings, sometimes all three. Yet recently, I sense a trend toward the ribald. In my opinion, this tawdry approach has crept into sports-talk. In fact, it’s reached a point that when I sometimes babysit my grandchildren, I want to put headsets on them.

I’ll preface my remarks by saying I’m no prude. I’ve heard swears most of my life. Yet there is a time and particularly, a place.

Recently, at least in my opinion, there has been a more decided raunchiness when it comes to sports-talk banter, either from the hosts or from their listeners, or both. Yes, I know that a lot of this, at least recently, stems from the New England Patriots’ quarterback, Mac Jones, recent kicking of the Jets’ cornerback, Sauce Gardner, in his “private parts." Gardner has even claimed that Jones' kick might prevent him from having his wife be in "a family sort of way."

Yet, as I continue, we’re hearing more and more, over the air: “balls,” testes, testicles, etc. This, in itself isn’t too bad, at least not yet. Yet I ask, “Is this but a harbinger of things to come? Are we soon going to hear fellatio, cunnilingus, carnal knowledge?” I’m certain that you get my drift.

On this matter, if this more sordid approach to sports talk (does it boost the ratings) were to continue, I may have to “cut back,” even quit “cold turkey.”

Moreover, if these bawdy interludes were to continue, I would whole-heartedly advise, possibly at the start of the show, that there be a disclaimer: "Please be advised that some of the content and language used on this show 'may appeal to the prurient interest.' Viewer/listener discretion is advised. May not be suitable for all ages.”

At this juncture, I ask, “Is the tried-and-true sports-talk show morphing into titillating sports stories of a sexual nature?” Something like “Listen in the next hour as we discuss the recent book, "The Secret Life of an NFL Quarterback: He’s Throwing Passes of a Different Variety."

It may be me, but I find that even the callers appear to be “pushing the envelope.” Some shows are even featuring sultry-voiced “sirens." Maybe these calls could be part of future sports-talk, sex-talk segments, i.e., "In the next hour, we'll discuss “The Secret Lives of Dallas Cowboys Cheerleaders."

In closing, a suggestion. You could possibly tone down the reference to genitalia by using such phrases as: “a twig and berries.” Or you might say, “He’s got no gonads.” Or, as we used to call out to the referees when I was in college, “You've got no hair!” Frankly, I’d hate to see this get out of hand. I believe most of us are looking for a cultured, enlightening, and uplifting approach to sports-talk as opposed to a show that takes sports-talk to salacious levels.

"Walt, make a 'mental bet' and lose your mind." R.N.S.

"The important thing is what I think of myself."
"David and Lisa" (1962)

Teach is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-29-2023, 09:39 AM   #2
PhantomOnTour
C'est Tout

Sports talk in general (and ESPN especially) is trash. Total trash.

ESPN is nothing but redundant sports talk from 6am-5pm every week day.
The hosts go from show to another saying the same thing all day long.
Old 09-29-2023, 09:59 AM   #3
Inner Dirt

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhantomOnTour View Post
Sports talk in general (and ESPN especially) is trash. Total trash.

ESPN is nothing but redundant sports talk from 6am-5pm every week day.
The hosts go from show to another saying the same thing all day long.

What I don't understand is the screaming idiot act like Stephen A. Smith and Skip Bayless, trying to yell over each other. Obviously if that did not sell they would not be on the air making millions of dollars a year. Back 30+ years ago when I had

90 minutes+ of commute time I would listen to it on the radio, same crap.
I do not get it.
Inner Dirt is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-29-2023, 10:37 AM   #4
Bustin Stones

What I am hearing is that you don't like the option of changing the station to music. That you really do want to hear the backstories about athletes and want to know their thoughts. Maybe those athletes don't think like you do? Maybe their lives are very different having all that money and adulation. And maybe they didn't get your education. Do you care that your hometown qb is a creep? Or has the maturity of a 10 yr old? He's paid to do things that don't matter that he's an immature creep. Do you care that the person who assembled your lawn mower likes to get drunk and beat his wife? You want the mower to work, period. Maybe he fails to pay child support. Maybe he's racist. I don't want to turn on the radio and hear his opinions. Just assemble the friggin mower. And that's how I feel about athletes.
Bustin Stones is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 10-01-2023, 08:30 PM   #5
zico20

Sports radio talk is annoying and boring. They all think they know it all and have egos the size of Mt. Rushmore.
Old 10-01-2023, 09:43 PM   #6
Inner Dirt

I have never heard sports talk radio discussing intimate details of an athlete's sex life. I would definitely change the channel. What I hate is when they start talking politics, even if I agree with them.
Inner Dirt is offline   Reply With Quote Reply