Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Off Topic > Off Topic - General

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 2.33 average.
Old 03-16-2020, 05:05 PM   #1081
PaceAdvantage
PA Steward

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerryBoyle View Post
Was actually interested in your thoughts on appropriate response, but you have no interest in discussion. You think the response should be somewhere between 0 and where we are now/where we're going. Got it.
What is there to discuss? You obviously don't agree with me.

I'll put you in the column that says it's worth it to destroy America over a virus that has killed 1.7% of its victims in the USA thus far.

In S. Korea, it's killed less than 1% of its 8,000+ victims.

Germany, with its 7,272 cases? 17 have died. What is that? .2%?

Yes, other countries have been hit with a far higher death rate...and that will always be the case with pandemics.

Given the non-stop game of "one upmanship" going on in the USA, where one state is going further than the next seemingly with every passing hour, I predict the economic fallout will be far worse than anything this disease could have wrought here.

In this case, the cure is going to be far worse than the disease.

That's my position in a nutshell.

As to what the response SHOULD have been...maybe look at the last time a pandemic hit the USA. That would have been a good start.
Old 03-16-2020, 05:20 PM   #1082
wisconsin

At some point rapid transit, busses, ferries and passenger trains are next...
Old 03-16-2020, 05:36 PM   #1083
FantasticDan
gelding

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaceAdvantage View Post
In this case, the cure is going to be far worse than the disease.

That's my position in a nutshell.

As to what the response SHOULD have been...maybe look at the last time a pandemic hit the USA. That would have been a good start.
This response is in accordance with what healthcare professionals have recommended. It's not being done in a vacuum, it's being done because people who know what they're talking about say it's necessary.

You think you know better, and that's fine. It's also foolish.
FantasticDan is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-16-2020, 05:44 PM   #1084
ElKabong

Quote:
Originally Posted by FantasticDan View Post
This response is in accordance with what healthcare professionals have recommended. It's not being done in a vacuum, it's being done because people who know what they're talking about say it's necessary.

You think you know better, and that's fine. It's also foolish.
WELL, you're not dead yet, so …..

If you quit posting, we all know you're right. OK?
“We’re in a situation where we have put together, and you guys did it for our administration…President Obama’s administration before this. We have put together, I think, the most extensive and inclusive voter fraud organization in the history of American politics,” -Joe Biden

Last edited by ElKabong; 03-16-2020 at 05:45 PM.
ElKabong is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-16-2020, 05:52 PM   #1085
davew

Quote:
It will be 100% worth it. We will stop the spread of this massive killer.
and as an added bonus, greenhouse gas emissions will drop considerably
davew is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-16-2020, 05:52 PM   #1086
PaceAdvantage
PA Steward

I wish the government would be honest with the people and explain to them that what they are asking them to do will absolutely kill this country long term.

The gov't should inform people of the expected number of job losses and business closings all these measures will surely bring about.

People are acting on incomplete information.

Many look at this as a vacation...no school (or some home school BS), don't have to commute to work...wow...hang at the house and watch TV all day...not a bad life.

They have little clue what's coming the longer we travel down this road.

Running out of TP is babyshit compared to what's next.

Last edited by PaceAdvantage; 03-16-2020 at 05:54 PM.
PaceAdvantage is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-16-2020, 06:01 PM   #1087
clicknow

Quote:
I'll put you in the column that says it's worth it to destroy America over a virus that has killed 1.7% of its victims in the USA thus far.
"Framing".

It's always interesting to evaluate surveys and polls for how they frame an issue. That's why I don't answer most polls. The psychological framing is a *science*.....but it makes all the different in the responses you get, and how the results skew.

But hey, it's your column. You can call it whatever you wish.

There's few epidemiologists in 151+ nations across the planet who would frame that column like you just did.

Just pointing out that the way you named YOUR column is highly biased.
clicknow is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-16-2020, 06:04 PM   #1088
clicknow

Interesting stat: There are now more cases of Covid-19 outside of China than inside.
Old 03-16-2020, 06:05 PM   #1089
xtb

Quote:
Originally Posted by clicknow View Post
Interesting stat: There are now more cases of Covid-19 outside of China than inside.
Thanks China.
xtb is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-16-2020, 06:09 PM   #1090
FantasticDan
gelding

FantasticDan is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-16-2020, 06:17 PM   #1091
coachv30

Is there another answer? Are people going to quarantine themselves? When I say "people", I mean the masses. If authorities said, "People....Bars and restaurants will remain open but please exercise caution (what does that even mean anyways), how many would just stay home?

Some would.....I know I would do it. My wife and I go out for dinner and drinks at least twice a week....not anymore (for the time being), even if they did remain open. The only thing we have to trust is the advice of the experts in this field and it seems as if our POTUS has realized that as well.

Let's suppose for a second that social establishments were indeed allowed to remain open but the authorities continued to give dyer warnings for people to stay home. As a results, 85% (hypothetically) abided by these warnings. Isn't that going to in turn affect the economy as well? You will have open businesses with maybe 10 to 20 patrons per day.

so...I ask again, "What is the correct response?"
Old 03-16-2020, 06:26 PM   #1092
PaceAdvantage
PA Steward

Quote:
Originally Posted by clicknow View Post
"Framing".

It's always interesting to evaluate surveys and polls for how they frame an issue. That's why I don't answer most polls. The psychological framing is a *science*.....but it makes all the different in the responses you get, and how the results skew.

But hey, it's your column. You can call it whatever you wish.

There's few epidemiologists in 151+ nations across the planet who would frame that column like you just did.

Just pointing out that the way you named YOUR column is highly biased.
I'm just being brutally honest and hoping people consider what the US is facing given the measures taken to date.

I will try and refrain from posting further in this thread because it's apparent people would rather ignore the consequences of certain actions and just "hope for the best."

Kind of like some have accused me of doing --> ignore the danger of the virus and "hope for the best." Never mind that's NOT what I have advocated.

I really haven't advocated anything. I've just pointed out the likely outcome of the draconian measures currently in place and getting more draco with each and every passing day.
Old 03-16-2020, 06:29 PM   #1093
clicknow

Quote:
Originally Posted by coachv30 View Post
The only thing we have to trust is the advice of the experts in this field and it seems as if our POTUS has realized that as well
That is correct.

People posting opinions on a global health pandemic who do not have epidemiological, medical or other expertise have little to offer.

Without containment, there wouldn't BE any employees or business owners who would be able to work because they would all have the flu.

Albeit it would happen in waves.....given the 14 day incubation period, + another 5-14 days of illness even in the "mild" cases. And if THEY all came to work, then it would just duplicate this scenario........

.....thus this would be going on for 2++ years instead of a few months.

Quote:
because it's apparent people would rather ignore the consequences of certain actions and just "hope for the best."
See above scenario, PA. Without containment, this goes on for way longer than our medical system and any other system can handle. You don't seem to understand the number parts about pandemics. IF it were not contained, we would not see the lower numbers you are supporting. We would see out and out every other person getting sick.....sick enough not to report to work, etc. And more would die, most likely. Way larger numbers that you are imagining.

So neither scenario is optimum. Containment really IS the only answer. Which is why the world has gone in that direction.

They have supercomputers doing the analytics and doing the math. This is why containment was chosen as the correct path. Pretty much unanimously.

Last edited by clicknow; 03-16-2020 at 06:36 PM.
Old 03-16-2020, 06:29 PM   #1094
Robert Fischer
clean money

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReplayRandall View Post
It's already getting overly warm throughout the US, very warm spring and early summer hot temps predicted....Who would have thought that global warming would save the day?
I hope it helps.

Sun and warmth seem to slow most viruses, and at the very least encourage health with people.
Old 03-16-2020, 06:30 PM   #1095
PaceAdvantage
PA Steward

The 10-12 patrons a day would probably make all the difference in the world.

You layoff workers temporarily.

Instead, business dies and workers are all unemployed.