Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Off Topic > Off Topic - General

Old 05-13-2019, 11:06 AM   #61
FantasticDan
gelding

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clocker View Post
Tariffs aren't going to hurt China as much as they will hurt American consumers.
Are you sure? The president says they won't..

Psst.. even Kudlow admits the reality..

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/05/12/u...ump-trade.html
FantasticDan is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-13-2019, 12:00 PM   #62
Ocala Mike

Glad to see the trade war isn't hurting the stock market. I was worried there for a while.
Ocala Mike is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-13-2019, 12:33 PM   #63
MargieRose

Had a friend out in CA who sold all of her stocks when President Trump was first elected because of some scare-babel by someone supposedly in-the-know. She lost bigly, poor thing! Must still be a lot more like her out there.

I say...chill yo grill!
MargieRose is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-13-2019, 12:34 PM   #64
Clocker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ocala Mike View Post
Glad to see the trade war isn't hurting the stock market. I was worried there for a while.
True. I'm sure today's headline at Zero Sum is just some Chicken Littles that don't understand Trump's brilliance running around saying "The sky is falling".

Quote:
Markets Tumble As China Unveils Retaliatory Tariffs, May Dump "Some Treasuries"
https://www.zerohedge.com/news/2019-...iatory-tariffs
Old 05-13-2019, 12:38 PM   #65
reckless
Veteran

Quote:
Tariffs aren't going to hurt China as much as they will hurt American consumers. Chinese companies have already shown an ability to avoid tariffs by outsourcing final production to places like Vietnam. No tariffs, and the profits still flow into China.
Continued silly meme that has been proven wrong each time it is mentioned -- going on three years now, if memory serves me well.

If China cannot sell their cheaply made products in countries such as the USA, the largest consumer of China crap, guess what? Their factories go dark and the Chinese people riot in the streets. Despite the lies and scare tactics in the media, etc., US citizens will not march on Washington, for sure, in any tariff and trade 'war'. You can go to the bank on this.

Fact is, China has way, way more to lose than the US. Only Trump haters, common sense deniers and other on air political/business dunces believe China will 'win' this so-called tariff war.

China's economy is more likely to 'crater' than the USA's in any extended trade 'war', despite the constant incorrect commentary predicting a USA economic debacle coming from the media and social media circles.
reckless is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-13-2019, 01:12 PM   #66
elysiantraveller

Quote:
True. I'm sure today's headline at Zero Sum is just some Chicken Littles that don't understand Trump's brilliance running around saying "The sky is falling".

https://www.zerohedge.com/news/2019-...iatory-tariffs
The latter is potentially more harmful than the former.

I'll laugh if they begin slapping export duties on the remainder of their US exports. Notice the Tweet Machines haven't been hit yet from out side.

Last edited by elysiantraveller; 05-13-2019 at 01:13 PM.
elysiantraveller is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-13-2019, 01:18 PM   #67
reckless
Veteran

Quote:
Sounds like you left a lot of money on the table these past few years. Sorry to hear that, Mike, really.

In June 2015 when Trump announced he was running for President he told the world that if elected he'd go after China and raise tariffs to level the playing field, renegotiate bad trade deals, etc., etc.

Almost 4 years have passed and the world knew of Trump's plans and goals concerning tariffs, trade and China.

Despite the media lies and ignorance of the entire situation ... and despite the 'opportunity' to bet against Trump's economic plans, etc., a few things have happened since Trump's historic escalator ride to destiny:

1-- Trump won big over Hillary! despite predictions, calls and fears that he'd ruin the economy!

2-- Trump and his policies --tax, economic, fiscal, tariff, trade -- as a matter of fact, have created the greatest economic boom in a generation, creating 5 1-2 million new jobs and the subsequent record low levels of unemployment. Near record wage increases too.

3-- No inflation, despite PA OT General posters being constantly lectured that Trump's tariffs will hurt the US consumer.

4-- On the day Trump announced, June 2015 ... the S& P closed at 2,085 or so.

4a -- On the day Trump announced ... the DJIA closed at 17,790.

5-- As I type this on a horrible day for the market, May 13, 2019, the S & P is about 2,805, still up 720 points in 5 years.

5a -- As I type this on a horrible day for the market, the DJIA is about 25,245, still up 7,455 points in 5 years.

With the market and the economy exploding since Trump's election, the media basically ignored this and what Trump accomplished.

But, today, the media is all over today's market decline, blaming Trump, as expected.

Last edited by reckless; 05-13-2019 at 01:23 PM.
Old 05-13-2019, 01:45 PM   #68
Tom
The Voice of Reason!

Quote:
But your were very quiet when it was soaring.
Must be you are invested in "cherry futures."
Old 05-13-2019, 01:49 PM   #69
MargieRose

@Reckless...
Old 05-13-2019, 02:03 PM   #70
Clocker

Quote:
Originally Posted by reckless View Post
If China cannot sell their cheaply made products in countries such as the USA, the largest consumer of China crap, guess what? Their factories go dark and the Chinese people riot in the streets. Despite the lies and scare tactics in the media, etc., US citizens will not march on Washington, for sure, in any tariff and trade 'war'. You can go to the bank on this.
A rant worthy of The Donald himself, full of rhetoric and devoid of facts. China has a demand economy, and the workers do what they are told. If some of the work they are doing now is shifted to other Asian countries to avoid American tariffs, the Chinese workers will be given other work.
Quote:
China's economy is more likely to 'crater' than the USA's in any extended trade 'war', despite the constant incorrect commentary predicting a USA economic debacle coming from the media and social media circles.
Neither is in any danger of cratering. China, working through (hiding behind) allies like Vietnam if need be, will continue to pump out low cost merchandise.

If Trump's tariffs on imports are effective, they will drive up the prices to consumers, and make American products more competitive than they are now. The result will be of benefit to American workers in those protected industries, while increasing the cost of living for American consumers.
Old 05-13-2019, 02:19 PM   #71
reckless
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by MargieRose View Post

Had a friend out in CA who sold all of her stocks when President Trump was first elected because of some scare-babel by someone supposedly in-the-know. She lost bigly, poor thing! Must still be a lot more like her out there.

I say...chill yo grill!
Hi Margie: Sorry your friend allowed herself to be influenced by the ignorant and usually wrong media, or that she held hate Trump sentiments. It cost her big time, for sure.

In the Financial Room here at PA OT, before the 2016 election, I posted that we were entering a generational buying opportunity in the stock market. Most importantly, I said one should not let their hatred for Trump preclude them from investing. I did post this, and have repeated that advice I bolded on other occasions.

I really didn't expect people on here to listen to my advice or even agree with my analysis, tremendous as it was.

But that's the way it goes.

Today, I was reading a column on a nice site called seekingalpha.com. And low and behold, a question was posed about selling stock in anticipation of a tariff and trade war hurting the market.

The answer included a quote by the great money manager Peter Lynch taken from one of his investing books. It is below.

Quote:
In this business, if you're good, you're right six times out of ten...Far more money has been lost by investors preparing for corrections, or trying to anticipate corrections than has been lost in corrections themselves.” – Peter Lynch
Old 05-13-2019, 02:29 PM   #72
MargieRose

Quote:
Originally Posted by reckless View Post
Hi Margie: Sorry your friend allowed herself to be influenced by the ignorant and usually wrong media, or that she held hate Trump sentiments. It cost her big time, for sure.

In the Financial Room here at PA OT, before the 2016 election, I posted that we were entering a generational buying opportunity in the stock market. Most importantly, I said one should not let their hatred for Trump preclude them from investing. I did post this, and have repeated that advice I bolded on other occasions.

I really didn't expect people on here to listen to my advice or even agree with my analysis, tremendous as it was.

But that's the way it goes.

Today, I was reading a column on a nice site called seekingalpha.com. And low and behold, a question was posed about selling stock in anticipation of a tariff and trade war hurting the market.

The answer included a quote by the great money manager Peter Lynch taken from one of his investing books. It is below.
The proof being in the pudding, as it was with my friend. And yes, she was/IS a Trump hater.
Old 05-13-2019, 02:32 PM   #73
reckless
Veteran

Quote:
A rant worthy of The Donald himself, full of rhetoric and devoid of facts. China has a demand economy, and the workers do what they are told. If some of the work they are doing now is shifted to other Asian countries to avoid American tariffs, the Chinese workers will be given other work.
Neither is in any danger of cratering. China, working through (hiding behind) allies like Vietnam if need be, will continue to pump out low cost merchandise.

If Trump's tariffs on imports are effective, they will drive up the prices to consumers, and make American products more competitive than they are now. The result will be of benefit to American workers in those protected industries, while increasing the cost of living for American consumers.
I know it is hard for you to save face after years of incorrect and silly analysis and predictions.

Who is China going to sell their products to if not the USA?

This tariff and trade issue is about China selling their goods NOT manufacturing them. It is also about the onerous tariffs China imposes on US companies. And, as a reminder, if US manufacturers do not want their products they imported for the US consumer to be taxed, then they should build in America and hire American workers.

Talking up Vietnam is a poor attempt to confuse the issues.

When China does decide they really do need 'help', if they haven't by now, they will simply turn to the USA and make an equitable deal with Trump. It's nonsense to suggest otherwise.

Last edited by reckless; 05-13-2019 at 02:40 PM.
Old 05-13-2019, 02:38 PM   #74
delayjf

N
Quote:
either is in any danger of cratering. China, working through (hiding behind) allies like Vietnam if need be, will continue to pump out low cost merchandise.
Is the US not aware of the above situation and can we take steps to counter China's laundering their goods through other nations?
delayjf is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-13-2019, 02:40 PM   #75
elysiantraveller

Its always interesting seeing American's mock China, a State-Capitalist command economy, as the President takes actions to create the same here...

Last edited by elysiantraveller; 05-13-2019 at 02:52 PM.
elysiantraveller is offline   Reply With Quote Reply