Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Racing Discussion

Old 07-22-2016, 06:20 PM   #1
VigorsTheGrey
Veteran

Won Eye Jet wins Gulfstream 10th

Won eye jet, win 10th at Gulfstream Wears a cup over right eye. Form makes no note or blinker mark...nice win!
VigorsTheGrey is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-23-2016, 08:53 AM   #2
Ruffian1

Quote:
Originally Posted by VigorsTheGrey
Won eye jet, win 10th at Gulfstream Wears a cup over right eye. Form makes no note or blinker mark...nice win!
When it is a protective cup for an eye , it is typically a clear plastic see through bubble these days, . The eye was probably hit with a stone or something last time and it was to keep all debris out of that one eye so it can properly heal.

But because the horse had full range of vision, no blinker card is asked for by the Stewards. So no gate break with it or card necessary.

That's the way it was when I was there.

Hope that helps.
Ruffian1 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-23-2016, 11:12 AM   #3
Ruffian1

Just saw the name of the horse.

So if the horse only has one eye, you also do not need a blinker card if the other eye has no cup.
Sometimes they wear a leather cup or plastic over the socket with no eye because the throw back feels weird when it hits the skin covering where the eye ball would be. Or if the horse has the eye, but is blind in it, it can scare the horse when something flies back into it.
Seems like it is one of the scenarios I mentioned.
Ruffian1 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-23-2016, 02:26 PM   #4
VigorsTheGrey
Veteran

i watched the replay...looks like the cup is fastened to the horse somehow...he must be blind in one eye...hence the name Won Eye Jet, a play on words...love these horses with oddities that win with heart....would enjoy reading some background on Won Eye Jet....
Old 07-23-2016, 02:30 PM   #5
cj
@TimeformUSfigs

I remember Cyclops Woman well, was a one eyed horse that ran in Maryland and New York during the 80s.
cj is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-24-2016, 12:02 AM   #6
VigorsTheGrey
Veteran

interesting name, Cyclops Woman, will file that one in my mental eqine curio cabinet! Thanks cj☺
Old 07-24-2016, 07:25 PM   #7
mistergee

Quote:
Originally Posted by VigorsTheGrey
i watched the replay...looks like the cup is fastened to the horse somehow...he must be blind in one eye...hence the name Won Eye Jet, a play on words...love these horses with oddities that win with heart....would enjoy reading some background on Won Eye Jet....
Won Eye Jet does indeed have one eye and is the 9th foal of the 19yo mare Miss Vermont Jet who also raced for the current trainer Henry Collazo. I believe he also owned and or owned and trained all the other foals of that mare
mistergee is offline   Reply With Quote Reply