Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Racing Discussion

Old 08-27-2014, 12:54 AM   #1
jballscalls

Ron Rippey RIP

Read on twitter from Quigley's Corner that former NHC champ and long time Star-Ledger capper Ron Rippey passed away this morning.

Didn't know him but heard from many he was a decent guy and a good capper. Thoughts with his family.
Old 08-27-2014, 10:12 AM   #2
JimG

One heck of a nice guy. Very sorry to hear of his passing.

Jim
JimG is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-27-2014, 11:34 AM   #3
Light
Veteran

Shocked. I considered him the best public handicapper on the NYRA circuit because he not only qualified for the NHC nearly every year but won it 2006.

http://blog.nj.com/horseracing/2014/...uccessful.html
Light is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-27-2014, 02:02 PM   #4
NJ Stinks

My guess is that Ron winning that handicapping contest back 2006 kept thoroughbred racing coverage in the Star-Ledger's sports section. Without Ron's presence....

RIP, Mr. Rippey.
Old 08-27-2014, 08:10 PM   #5
Bennie

Always looked at Rippey picks in the Ledger just to see if there was something I missed. I will miss his comments.
Bennie is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-27-2014, 08:11 PM   #6
Bennie

NJ Stinks - will miss Ron and would miss the coverage as well. Hope it doesn't come to that. Maybe they can offer Bossert a job.
Bennie is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-27-2014, 10:13 PM   #7
jefftune

One of the best contest players. He just won over 100K in the Wynn Handicapping Challenge a few weeks ago. Thoughts and prayers go out to his family.
jefftune is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-27-2014, 11:29 PM   #8
Light
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by jefftune
He just won over 100K in the Wynn Handicapping Challenge a few weeks ago.
Exactly. How many public handicappers do you know that can win public contests like this guy did or even have the guts to venture into them, thus putting their reputation on the line. None. This guy was the real deal and he did it over many years. Very underrated.
Old 08-28-2014, 10:59 AM   #9
PaceAdvantage
PA Steward

Quote:
Originally Posted by Light
Exactly. How many public handicappers do you know that can win public contests like this guy did or even have the guts to venture into them, thus putting their reputation on the line. None. This guy was the real deal and he did it over many years. Very underrated.
Note to self:

PUBLIC handicappers, according to Light, don't put their reputations on the line daily...

You're an odd duck to throw something like that into a thread like this.

Last edited by PaceAdvantage; 08-28-2014 at 11:00 AM.
PaceAdvantage is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-28-2014, 01:05 PM   #10
Light
Veteran

Nobody keeps score when public handicappers post daily. They have immunity via their excuses such as:

look, my fifth choice won

look, this is a guide only

look, I have to make my selections days before the race

The assumption is without those "handicaps" on public handicappers, they would crush the races. But if you are a public handicapper in a contest, or more accurately, several contests ,and you are being scored, you don't have those excuses to hide behind and it can be embarrassing for your reputation for fans to see how you do without "excuses".

That's why I give praise to Ron Rippey. He didn't hide behind the "immunity" of being public handicapper. He challenged it. Not really to prove anything but he showed he was really interested in what he did and it was not just a job.
Old 08-28-2014, 01:24 PM   #11
PaceAdvantage
PA Steward

Quote:
Nobody keeps score when public handicappers post daily. They have immunity via their excuses such as:

The assumption is without those "handicaps" on public handicappers, they would crush the races. But if you are a public handicapper in a contest, or more accurately, several contests ,and you are being scored, you don't have those excuses to hide behind and it can be embarrassing for your reputation for fans to see how you do without "excuses".

That's why I give praise to Ron Rippey. He didn't hide behind the "immunity" of being public handicapper. He challenged it. Not really to prove anything but he showed he was really interested in what he did and it was not just a job.
Lame. I'm not going to sully this thread much longer with extraneous BS like you just did...suffice to say, all PUBLIC handicapper's selections are PUBLIC and can be scored. Either officially or unofficially. They ALL have their reputation on the line every day, because their picks are indeed PUBLIC and made BEFORE the races each and every day.

Your spin is desperate.
Old 08-28-2014, 01:24 PM   #12
Bobzilla

Ron Rippey was a very nice man and a true champion in many ways. I'm sorry to learn today of his passing. Here is the NTRA article.

http://www.ntra.com/en/news-media/pr...er-to-the-nhc/

Last edited by Bobzilla; 08-28-2014 at 01:27 PM.
Bobzilla is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-28-2014, 02:19 PM   #13
Light
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaceAdvantage
Lame. I'm not going to sully this thread much longer with extraneous BS like you just did...suffice to say, all PUBLIC handicapper's selections are PUBLIC and can be scored. Either officially or unofficially. They ALL have their reputation on the line every day, because their picks are indeed PUBLIC and made BEFORE the races each and every day.

Your spin is desperate.
You can simply say you disagree. You don't have to knock me personally because you disagree with me on an issue which has nothing to do with who I am or who you are. But if you want to get personal, you need to grow up.
Old 08-28-2014, 06:43 PM   #14
rrpic6

Quote:

Well said! How many of us are asked once a year to pick the winner of the Kentucky Derby by a friend or co-worker? If that pick loses, how often do you hear, "don't quit your day job"? RIP Ron Rippey. One of us.

RR
rrpic6 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-29-2014, 08:39 AM   #15
PaceAdvantage
PA Steward

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrpic6
Well said! How many of us are asked once a year to pick the winner of the Kentucky Derby by a friend or co-worker? If that pick loses, how often do you hear, "don't quit your day job"? RIP Ron Rippey. One of us.

RR
Well said? Don't want to get into a debate in this thread, but I suggest you read his last couple of posts again, then tell me how public handicappers don't put their reputation on the line with their PUBLIC picks.

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: