Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Off Topic > Off Topic - Sports

Old 08-15-2014, 05:14 PM   #1
raybo
EXCEL with SUPERFECTAS

LLWS

Little League World Series first round, Philadelphia's Mo'Ne Davis, one of only 2 girls in this year's Series, pitched a complete game shut out in the team's last game to get them to Williamsport, then today she pitched another complete game shut out in their first round game, against a veteran Tennessee team that also made it to Williamsport last year.

This young girl has 3 solid pitches (actually 4), a 70 mph 4 seam fastball (over 90 mph when converted to a 60 foot mound), 2 types of breaking balls (curve and slider), and a "splitter" off speed pitch. Threw less than 70 pitches in 6 innings with about 75-80% strikes.

She is a real "pitcher", who thinks and throws like a veteran. No fear by this young lady! Next start will probably be Monday, catch it if you get the chance!!

Excel Spreadsheet Handicapping Forum

Charter Member: Horseplayers Association of North America
raybo is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-15-2014, 05:54 PM   #2
cj's dad

How old is she? 12-14? No one should be throwing breaking balls at that young of age; no one. Her arm will be shot soon.
Old 08-15-2014, 06:15 PM   #3
TJDave

Quote:
Originally Posted by CurtisontheBay
Her arm will be shot soon.
It's not like she's got a career in the bigs.
Old 08-15-2014, 11:06 PM   #4
raybo
EXCEL with SUPERFECTAS

Quote:
How old is she? 12-14? No one should be throwing breaking balls at that young of age; no one. Her arm will be shot soon.
She's 13, and they all throw junk by that age. I'm 66 and was throwing 5 pitches at 9. It's not like it's anything new. But, the difference with her is that she throws them with accuracy, working inside, outside, and varying speeds and delivery.

But, leave it to a horse player to put some kind of negative on pure talent.

Old 08-15-2014, 11:09 PM   #5
raybo
EXCEL with SUPERFECTAS

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJDave
Well, it's a little early for making that kind of judgement, don't you think? High school coaches in Philly are watching her, with interest, already.

She also plays basketball well, and her long term goal is to play in the WNBA, so maybe we don't see her on the diamond as a pro, but rather on the court.

Old 08-16-2014, 12:13 AM   #6
cj's dad

Quote:
Originally Posted by raybo
But, leave it to a horse player to put some kind of negative on pure talent.
Your are 100% correct. When I saw Secretariat win the KD I knew he was a flash in the pan !

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJDave
Don't you know that women can do anything a man can do !!

Last edited by cj's dad; 08-16-2014 at 12:16 AM.
cj's dad is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-16-2014, 01:12 AM   #7
magwell

Except pee standing up.........
Old 08-16-2014, 01:52 AM   #8
raybo
EXCEL with SUPERFECTAS

Well, apparently, this forum is the wrong place to discuss anything new or different. I should have known better. Geez, you guys really need to find something better to do with your time. If you're so convinced that the female sex is so fragile and weak that you can project their impact in the future, maybe you haven't been paying enough attention. This is no longer just "a man's world", women are making inroads into almost everything one can imagine.

In the complete history of the LLWS there have been a total of 4 girls that made it to Williamsport. Not because they weren't talented enough but because they weren't supposed to be able to compete with the boys. Well, this young lady completely dominated the last two "boys" teams she faced, one of which has come back to Williamsport for the 2nd straight year. While she may not be the best pitcher this year, her performances thus far are certainly worthy of note. That was all I wanted to do here, note it, so if you're so chauvinist that in order to feel better about your "maleness" that you feel it's your duty to dismiss her talent, without even seeing her perform, then that says quite a bit about who and what you are. Hope you at least feel better about yourself now, even if it doesn't say much about your maturity.

Old 08-16-2014, 06:55 AM   #9
098poi

Quote:
Originally Posted by magwell
Except pee standing up.........
Actually they can, they just don't.
098poi is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-16-2014, 07:19 AM   #10
tucker6

I saw highlights of her performance yesterday. Impressive. As for boys and girls competing together, at that age both sexes have approximately the same capabilities (especially pitching), but as soon as the boys hit puberty the gap starts to widen considerably.
tucker6 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-16-2014, 09:32 AM   #11
MutuelClerk

Amanda Whurlizer was way better and had a better coach.
MutuelClerk is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-16-2014, 11:09 AM   #12
jballscalls

Quote:
Originally Posted by raybo
That was all I wanted to do here, note it, so if you're so chauvinist that in order to feel better about your "maleness" that you feel it's your duty to dismiss her talent, without even seeing her perform, then that says quite a bit about who and what you are. Hope you at least feel better about yourself now, even if it doesn't say much about your maturity.

It's a great story and she's seems like a great role model.

Last edited by jballscalls; 08-16-2014 at 11:12 AM.
jballscalls is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-16-2014, 11:11 AM   #13
jballscalls

Quote:
my uncle Mel was a pitching coach for the yankees for a decade and he wouldn't even let his sons pitch at all until they were sophomores in high school. And only let them throw changes and fastballs til they were in college. Both boys played in the bigs, one of them had a long career and won titles with the Blue Jays.

I threw a bunch of dueces by age 14 and had elbow problems by age 17.

pains me to agree with you on anything, but here I must
Old 08-16-2014, 12:10 PM   #14
raybo
EXCEL with SUPERFECTAS

The advent of the slider relieved much of the bad stuff regarding throwing junk at a young age. Back when I was a kid, there was no slider, you threw wide hooking curve and drop balls that put a lot of stress on the shoulder and elbow. Sliders don't require all that much twisting of those joints. Wish sliders had been around back then, I may have lasted through high school. I peaked at 14-15 before the pain started, after that it was not pleasant.

Old 08-16-2014, 02:31 PM   #15
Tall One
Scum Bum!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MutuelClerk
Amanda Whurlizer was way better and had a better coach.

Tall One is offline   Reply With Quote Reply