Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Handicapping Discussion

Old 08-27-2010, 09:55 PM   #1
jamey1977

What's Wrong With That Golden Gate Fields ?

I am now playing Golden Gate Fields as well as Del Mar. Golden Gate, what's up with that place ? Horses are not doing what they are suppose to. Losing and losing. It's like if you have the lead , it doesn't matter, a closer will wipe you out or Russell Baze will find a way to defeat you. The Beyer numbers are fouled up. Is Golden Gate worth betting? Or are the horses just too low of a class to trust.? I have noticed the Win Pool totals are only about half of what Del Mar and Saratoga are. This means some of the better players are just ignoring it. How do I get more winners at Golden Gate ? . Should I even try to get Winners at the place.?
Old 08-27-2010, 10:06 PM   #2
TEJAS KIDD

Keep in mind that a majority of the runners at GGF have been racing for the past 2 1/2 month on the DIRT on the fair circuit. They are now running over TAPETA. Big difference. Give yourself a few weeks and let everyone run over that surface before attempting to handicap, or toss out all dirt form and go back to when the horses were running at GGF.
TEJAS KIDD is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-27-2010, 10:51 PM   #3
speed

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamey1977
I am now playing Golden Gate Fields as well as Del Mar. Golden Gate, what's up with that place ? Horses are not doing what they are suppose to. Losing and losing. It's like if you have the lead , it doesn't matter, a closer will wipe you out or Russell Baze will find a way to defeat you. The Beyer numbers are fouled up. Is Golden Gate worth betting? Or are the horses just too low of a class to trust.? I have noticed the Win Pool
totals are only about half of what Del Mar and Saratoga are. This means some of the better players are just ignoring it. How do I get more winners at Golden Gate ? . Should I even try to get Winners at the place.?
Jamie you are all over the place. longshot talk to favorites then onto show betting and a few other ideas.
Sounds possible you have gone through much of ur bankroll. Perhaps take a month off. During this time look over PP's and figure out 1 of ur handicapping strengths. Perhaps it is turf racing or sprints, whatever it is limit urself to those types of races. It appears you have lost confidence and obviously have no clue right now as to what and how you want to bet.

So Simplify. Start slow and build ur bankroll as well as ur confidence by focusing on ur strength.

Best of Luck
speed is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-27-2010, 11:22 PM   #4
jamey1977

I'm Doing O.K

Quote:
Originally Posted by speed
Jamie you are all over the place. longshot talk to favorites then onto show betting and a few other ideas.
Sounds possible you have gone through much of ur bankroll. Perhaps take a month off. During this time look over PP's and figure out 1 of ur handicapping strengths. Perhaps it is turf racing or sprints, whatever it is limit urself to those types of races. It appears you have lost confidence and obviously have no clue right now as to what and how you want to bet.

So Simplify. Start slow and build ur bankroll as well as ur confidence by focusing on ur strength.

Best of Luck
I'm doing what Jim Quinn said we all do anyway. 35 percent winners at 7 dollar average. I'm doing well at Del Mar. 16 Wins for 31 plays last 2 and a half weeks. 6 dollar average. But Golden Gate. I will not play Fairplex, my theories do not work over there. September, I am stuck with Golden Gate, Saratoga, I don't have any racing forms to analyze. Golden Gate -I did the whole month on paper June 1- June 30-2010 . Just betting from the morning line. I got half winners at 6 dollars. 61 plays- About 33 winners Now. Look at this mess. The first 3 days. 1 win from 9 plays. An 8.80 winner. I hate losing. I was just wondering if the track was worth it and are the lower class horses trustworthy ? . I have accepted the Jim Quinn analysis.. 35 percent winners at 7 dollars. I don't want 33 percent. I want 35 percent. I will keep trying but that place Golden Gate, is hard to figure out.
Old 08-28-2010, 12:27 AM   #5
InsideThePylons-MW

Quote:
I am now playing Golden Gate Fields as well as Del Mar.
My Condolences
InsideThePylons-MW is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-28-2010, 02:21 AM   #6
jamey1977

Ha ha

Quote:
Originally Posted by InsideThePylons-MW
My Condolences
Well, which are the solid circuits.? To play.? I want half winners at ,at least 5.60. If I end up at Jim Quinn's 35 percent wins at 7 dollars average. I end up there. Might not exactly be 35 at 7. With a 5.60 avg. Say it will actually come to 45 percent wins at 5.60 but mathamatically, comes , to the same money as 35 percent- 7 dollars would be. What are your suggestions.? The New York circuit, is wild. I just want good chalk, and good second picks. I need winners. LOL
Old 08-28-2010, 06:50 PM   #7
Stillriledup
Veteran

Quote:
I am now playing Golden Gate Fields as well as Del Mar. Golden Gate, what's up with that place ? Horses are not doing what they are suppose to. Losing and losing. It's like if you have the lead , it doesn't matter, a closer will wipe you out or Russell Baze will find a way to defeat you. The Beyer numbers are fouled up. Is Golden Gate worth betting? Or are the horses just too low of a class to trust.? I have noticed the Win Pool totals are only about half of what Del Mar and Saratoga are. This means some of the better players are just ignoring it. How do I get more winners at Golden Gate ? . Should I even try to get Winners at the place.?
Golden Gate is like stealing now. DMR is impossible, GG the form holds up well. Great example was the final race the other day won by the 2 horse, the shipper from DMR. He was the only closer on paper, everyone else was a big speed horse, this was an easy pick, he paid 5.80 and i just kept betting and betting. I also loved the 3 horse who ran 2nd, first time gelding at 18-1, i wish they were all that easy.

Don't bet speed up there if closers are winning and you won't have a problem getting wiped out by closers.

As far as russel baze goes, the greatest angle at GG is to bet against Russell when he's on a horse who stinks.
Stillriledup is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-29-2010, 09:59 AM   #8
Siren Lure

Golden Gate is a track where trainers and jockeys can get on win streaks, you just have to watch for it. Also, know who the top trainers are - Morey, Hollendorfer, Sherman are all going to get a lot of wins but watch for some of the smaller trainers like Petterson and Mathis to get on rolls and win at a good clip before their stock tires. Shippers from the south don't always do well, more often they're shipping maidens who can't get a win down south (and they can't get one up north either) or they're just trying to unload the horse for a price and the purse is a bonus. You really have to follow GGF closely to catch the trends but it can be very worthwhile.
Siren Lure is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-29-2010, 10:26 AM   #9
JBmadera

back in the old days, pretty much single track, BM and GGF were my home circuit and all I can say is thank goodness for ADW. now I only play the races where I feel like I have an edge. in fact I don't focus on a set of tracks or circuits, just certain types of races.

gl!
JBmadera is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-30-2010, 08:52 PM   #10
completebill

Quote:
I'm doing what Jim Quinn said we all do anyway. 35 percent winners at 7 dollar average. I'm doing well at Del Mar. 16 Wins for 31 plays last 2 and a half weeks. 6 dollar average. But Golden Gate. I will not play Fairplex, my theories do not work over there. September, I am stuck with Golden Gate, Saratoga, I don't have any racing forms to analyze. Golden Gate -I did the whole month on paper June 1- June 30-2010 . Just betting from the morning line. I got half winners at 6 dollars. 61 plays- About 33 winners Now. Look at this mess. The first 3 days. 1 win from 9 plays. An 8.80 winner. I hate losing. I was just wondering if the track was worth it and are the lower class horses trustworthy ? . I have accepted the Jim Quinn analysis.. 35 percent winners at 7 dollars. I don't want 33 percent. I want 35 percent. I will keep trying but that place Golden Gate, is hard to figure out.
You have, in this post, pinpointed your own problem. You say you are "Just betting from the morning line", with no "...racing forms to analyze..."
I wouldn't know where to begin to advise you, but the FIRST THING to do is to STOP betting until you know SOMETHING about the game!!!!
Betting off the morning line is no better that betting on names, numbers, or colors.
Start reading the Forums. Read LOTS of them. See if you can get a handle on who the contributors are who demonstrate intelligence, knowledge, and understanding of the game. Read their thoughts.

Look in the section on BOOKS. Buy recommended books on handicapping. There are LOTS more, but recognized authors are Quirin, Quinn, Mithchell, Brohamer, Beyer, Davidowitz.

Read--research. Find a good data source DRF if you must, but STOP THROWING DARTS. That's all you are doing now.
completebill is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-30-2010, 11:28 PM   #11
jamey1977

You're Right

Quote:
Originally Posted by completebill
You have, in this post, pinpointed your own problem. You say you are "Just betting from the morning line", with no "...racing forms to analyze..."
I wouldn't know where to begin to advise you, but the FIRST THING to do is to STOP betting until you know SOMETHING about the game!!!!
Betting off the morning line is no better that betting on names, numbers, or colors.
Start reading the Forums. Read LOTS of them. See if you can get a handle on who the contributors are who demonstrate intelligence, knowledge, and understanding of the game. Read their thoughts.

Look in the section on BOOKS. Buy recommended books on handicapping. There are LOTS more, but recognized authors are Quirin, Quinn, Mithchell, Brohamer, Beyer, Davidowitz.

Read--research. Find a good data source DRF if you must, but STOP THROWING DARTS. That's all you are doing now.
I'm watching the board. I was cussed out good by my Newport Beach cronies. They said you better put that Taco BELL HAT ON FATBOY. HA HA,.I lost 60 pounds and am thin. But I still think of myself as a fat boy. Anyway The Board has to be watched. So many bet downs. Golden Gate Fields can be beaten. I'm making progress now. I'm playing with a vengeance now. And yes, you are right. The Board has to be watched. The morning line maker just plainly screws up. You can't go on one man's subjective morning line. I learned that lesson. But I know now the Board has to be watched. There is no other way. I do not want to get that Taco Bell hat ready.

Last edited by jamey1977; 08-30-2010 at 11:33 PM.
jamey1977 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-31-2010, 10:12 AM   #12
Robert Fischer
clean money

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Well, which are the solid circuits.? To play.? I want half winners at ,at least 5.60. If I end up at Jim Quinn's 35 percent wins at 7 dollars average. I end up there. Might not exactly be 35 at 7. With a 5.60 avg. Say it will actually come to 45 percent wins at 5.60 but mathamatically, comes , to the same money as 35 percent- 7 dollars would be. What are your suggestions.? The New York circuit, is wild. I just want good chalk, and good second picks. I need winners. LOL
Quote:
I'm watching the board. I was cussed out good by my Newport Beach cronies. They said you better put that Taco BELL HAT ON FATBOY. HA HA,.I lost 60 pounds and am thin. But I still think of myself as a fat boy. Anyway The Board has to be watched. So many bet downs. Golden Gate Fields can be beaten. I'm making progress now. I'm playing with a vengeance now. And yes, you are right. The Board has to be watched. The morning line maker just plainly screws up. You can't go on one man's subjective morning line. I learned that lesson. But I know now the Board has to be watched. There is no other way. I do not want to get that Taco Bell hat ready.

Whoa, you sound overexposed. If Del Mar is working for you, stick with it.
Old 08-31-2010, 12:27 PM   #13
skate
s.e. pa.

just wait for the rain
skate is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-01-2010, 09:09 PM   #14
jamey1977

Hanging In

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Fischer
Whoa, you sound overexposed. If Del Mar is working for you, stick with it.
Awful, losing. But. all we could do is hang in there. Wow. I won the last race at Golden Gate Fields with Gary's Got Rythym. For once my handicapping works. But what the hell happenned with Baze on that favorite- Phantom Ali, that horse pulled a boner.LOL , . I hate picking one horse, and the other one you D.Q'ed comes in and wins. That's the worst thing. But all we could do is persevere. Del Mar, still hanging in.