Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Handicapping Discussion

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average.
Old 12-09-2007, 08:31 PM   #1
rolling

Purse Money

It is my understanding that purse money is awarded 1st thru last.My question if you are one of the top jockeys trainers maybe you will not try as hard to win top money.This is one hard handicapping angle to figure out.
rolling is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 12-09-2007, 09:14 PM   #2
stu

The extent of purse monies awarded depends upon the track. Some tracks pay only to 4th, 5th or 6th. Not all pay to last. Albuquerque only paid to 6th place until this year when we started paying to last place.

Stakes races don't always follow the same payout structure as a track's other races. Sunland pays to last but only to 8th in the WinStar Derby.

Plus keep in mind jockeys only get scale pay after 3rd place regardless of where the payments stop for the owners.
Old 12-10-2007, 11:56 AM   #3
northerndancer

Quote:
Originally Posted by rolling
It is my understanding that purse money is awarded 1st thru last.My question if you are one of the top jockeys trainers maybe you will not try as hard to win top money.This is one hard handicapping angle to figure out.
If I find out or determine that a jock is not trying to improve their position while on one of my horses that jock will at least get a penalty (lose a quality horse for a few mounts) or be banned from my string of horses. The bottomline is if your jock perserveres with your horses and improves his position by one placing that really adds up over the course of a year.

The standard payouts of the purse are 60% win, 20% for 2nd place, 11% for 3rd place, 6% for 4th place & 3% for 5th place. At some tracks (most of them with slot revenue purses) will pay a standard starting fee for a horse that finishes 6th and back to last. For example that fee at Woodbine is $400. This fee is to cover the cost of the jock mount as well as starting fees, gate fees, lasix, etc.

Therefore is the purse is $25,000 and you improve your finish position from 4th to 3rd the owner ends up with an additional $1,250. That will turn a losing month into a profitable month for most horses (assuming $2,500 per month cost factor).

If I catch one of my trainer trying to give one to a horse to cheapen his form or to put a bad race on the horses form then that trainer can find himself new horses to put in the stalls that my horses currently reside as the horses will be in a new place.

Drives me wild to see a jock stop riding a horse when they realize they can not win the race.
northerndancer is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 12-10-2007, 12:21 PM   #4
Show Me the Wire
Quintessential guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by northerndancer
Drives me wild to see a jock stop riding a horse when they realize they can not win the race.
Me too.
A free people ought not only to be armed, but disciplined; to which end a uniform and well-digested plan is requisite; and their safety and interest require that they should promote such manufactories as tend to render them independent of others for essential, particularly military, supplies.
George Washington
Show Me the Wire is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 12-10-2007, 01:20 PM   #5
JustMissed

Take a look at Dale Baird!

Quote:
Of course I have no evidence, but it appears that Dale Baird(and others) will find a good horse that likes to run second and keep running and running and running that horse in NW2L.

I can only assume he believes the animal will not fair well at the higher level and had much rather have a lot of place purses in the bank rather than going without hitting the board at a higher level. Doesn't take many place purses to pay for a $5,000 animal.

As far as I am concerned, the horse's form belongs to Dale and as long as the stewards don't pinch him--that is part of the game.

Lucky for me I know this and it makes playing the exotics easier.

JM
JustMissed is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 12-10-2007, 02:36 PM   #6
Pace Cap'n

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustMissed
Of course I have no evidence, but it appears that Dale Baird(and others) will find a good horse that likes to run second and keep running and running and running that horse in NW2L. JM
Others--like every state-bred running in New York.
Pace Cap'n is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 12-10-2007, 02:38 PM   #7
46zilzal
velocitician

Quote:
No two venues are quite the same. There are usually better payoffs to also rans in the bigger stakes races.
Old 12-10-2007, 03:26 PM   #8
Buddha
Aspiring Pace Capper

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustMissed
Of course I have no evidence, but it appears that Dale Baird(and others) will find a good horse that likes to run second and keep running and running and running that horse in NW2L.
I think that part of that has to do with him having so many horses and not being able to give every horse the personal attention that someone with fewer horses is able to do. He also sometimes runs horses out of their element. If you watch long enough, you will see him running sprinters long, routers short, etc. There are times that he find a condition that fits a horse, and goes with it from there. If it is a 5000N2L animal, he will find one whether it is going short or long. I assume with 100+ horses, and coupled entries not allowed, it is just a way for him to make sure that his horses aren't sitting around too long between races.

http://www.myspace.com/j_rod99
Buddha is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 12-10-2007, 05:19 PM   #9
JustMissed

Nice Post.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buddha
I think that part of that has to do with him having so many horses and not being able to give every horse the personal attention that someone with fewer horses is able to do. He also sometimes runs horses out of their element. If you watch long enough, you will see him running sprinters long, routers short, etc. There are times that he find a condition that fits a horse, and goes with it from there. If it is a 5000N2L animal, he will find one whether it is going short or long. I assume with 100+ horses, and coupled entries not allowed, it is just a way for him to make sure that his horses aren't sitting around too long between races.
I can't imagine working that many horses. It must be a full time job just keeping up with the condition book, not to mention buying & claiming and selling and taking on clients horses.

My hat is off to the man and I hope someone will do a movie about him someday.

JM
JustMissed is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 12-12-2007, 09:42 PM   #10
thespaah

Quote:
Originally Posted by northerndancer
If I find out or determine that a jock is not trying to improve their position while on one of my horses that jock will at least get a penalty (lose a quality horse for a few mounts) or be banned from my string of horses. The bottomline is if your jock perserveres with your horses and improves his position by one placing that really adds up over the course of a year.

The standard payouts of the purse are 60% win, 20% for 2nd place, 11% for 3rd place, 6% for 4th place & 3% for 5th place. At some tracks (most of them with slot revenue purses) will pay a standard starting fee for a horse that finishes 6th and back to last. For example that fee at Woodbine is $400. This fee is to cover the cost of the jock mount as well as starting fees, gate fees, lasix, etc.

Therefore is the purse is $25,000 and you improve your finish position from 4th to 3rd the owner ends up with an additional $1,250. That will turn a losing month into a profitable month for most horses (assuming $2,500 per month cost factor).

If I catch one of my trainer trying to give one to a horse to cheapen his form or to put a bad race on the horses form then that trainer can find himself new horses to put in the stalls that my horses currently reside as the horses will be in a new place.

Thanks for the insight. I always thougt I was seeing things when jocks stop trying just because they don't have the winner. Now on some occasions I will give them the benefit of the doubt if a horse is hoplessly beaten and they stop riding.
But what really kills me is if they are in the money and 75 yds from the wire and a horse comes from the parkling lot and beats him for third. That's not because the horse was tired either. GRRRRR..
I bet as an owner that really grates on your nerves.

Last edited by thespaah; 12-12-2007 at 09:43 PM.
thespaah is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-11-2009, 03:55 AM   #11
Thomas Roulston

It's not like the trotters, where there is a universal standard for purse distribution: 1st = 50%, 2nd = 25%, 3rd = 12%, 4th = 8% and 5th = 5%.

But what I've never been able to understand is why the thoroughbred tracks that do pay purse money to the entire field give the same amount to every horse that finishes lower than 4th or 5th.

One night I sat down and came up with a format which does away with that:

Field Size..........2........3........4........5........ 6........7........8........9....
.........1st.........70%....60%....60%....60%....6 0%....60%....60%....60%
.........2nd........30%....25%....21%....20%....20 %....20%....20%....20%
.........3rd...................15%....12%....10%.. ..10%....10%....10%....10%
.........4th..............................7%.....6 %.....5%......5%......5%......5%
.........5th...................................... .4%.....3%....2.5%...2.1%....1.9%
.........6th...................................... ..........2%....1.5%...1.3%....1.2%
.........7th...................................... .....................1%...0.9%....0.8%
.........8th...................................... ............................0.7%....0.6%
.........9th...................................... .......................................0.5%

Field Size..........10........11........12........13.... ...14........15........16...
.........1st..........60%.....60%......60%.....60% ......60%.....60%......60%
.........2nd.........20%.....20%......19%.....18%. .....18%.....18%......18%
.........3rd..........10%......9%.......9%.......9 %........8%......8%........8%
.........4th...........4%......4%.......4%.......4 %........4%......3%........2%
.........5th.........1.8%....1.8%....1.8%.....1.9% .....1.8%....1.9%.....1.8%
.........6th.........1.3%....1.4%....1.4%.....1.4% .....1.4%....1.6%.....1.6%
.........7th...........1%.....1.1%....1.2%.....1.2 %.....1.2%....1.4%.....1.4%
.........8th.........0.8%....0.9%.......1%.......1 %.....1.1%....1.2%.....1.2%
.........9th.........0.6%....0.7%....0.8%.....0.9% .......1%.......1%.....1.1%
........10th........0.5%....0.6%....0.7%.....0.8%. .....0.9%....0.9%......1%
........11th...................0.5%....0.6%.....0. 7%......0.8%....0.8%.....0.9%
........12th..............................0.5%.... .0.6%......0.7%....0.7%.....0.8%
........13th...................................... ....0.5%......0.6%....0.6%.....0.7%
........14th...................................... .................0.5%....0.5%.....0.6%
........15th...................................... ............................0.4%.....0.5%
........16th...................................... ........................................0.4%

Then, if you adopted the jockey mount fee scale they have just implemented in Illinois, where the jockey receives a flat fee of $75-$100 based on the size of the purse, plus 2% of the owner's earnings when finishing 4th or worse, and you solve both problems concomitantly.

Last edited by Thomas Roulston; 01-11-2009 at 03:57 AM.
Thomas Roulston is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-11-2009, 10:55 AM   #12
Dave Schwartz

Quote:
JM,

As long as I have been involved in racing, you'd think I would have thought of that but I never did.

Pretty ingenious, when you think about it. A way to defeat the system!

Thanks for the post.

Dave
Dave Schwartz is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-13-2009, 09:11 AM   #13
CyberBet

Dave,

Are you kidding me? Never even though of it? Wow.
Give me a maiden that never brakes through for the win but runs second or third consistently. I call them check makers and would fill the barn with them if possible. That provides the opportunity to take some shots with other stabled horses in some larger purse races.
Old 01-13-2009, 09:37 AM   #14
rrbauer
Both-hands Bettor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas Roulston
It's not like the trotters, where there is a universal standard for purse distribution: 1st = 50%, 2nd = 25%, 3rd = 12%, 4th = 8% and 5th = 5%.

But what I've never been able to understand is why the thoroughbred tracks that do pay purse money to the entire field give the same amount to every horse that finishes lower than 4th or 5th.
Different venues payout in different fashion. Currently, in Calif, the money paid out to those that finish lower than purse-eligible finishers (usually 5th place) are paid an "appearance fee" that is a fixed amount and is not related to the race's purse structure; indeed, it is funded separately from the purse money (special 1/2 point increase in exotic takeout) and its original intent was to provide workers comp relief.
Old 01-13-2009, 12:12 PM   #15
LottaKash

At the Harness Tracks, the standard purse distribution, regardless of the number of entrants is: 50%...25...12...8...5... Only 5-places paid....Other jurisdictions and special events, or races with less that 5 entrants, may or may not be the same, as far as I know.......

best,

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: