Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Off Topic > Off Topic - General


Reply
 
Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 1.00 average.
Old 08-15-2020, 11:50 PM   #6721
MargieRose
Registered User
 
MargieRose's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: Connecticut
Posts: 2,649
Quote:
Originally Posted by thaskalos View Post
My lawyer is protesting my case as we speak. He gets half of whatever tax break he is able to secure for me...but I'm not holding my breath. Here is a true story to illustrate how fvcked-up the state of Illinois is. I received two letters on the same day a few years ago...both from the county tax assessor's office. The first letter informed me that their latest real estate assessment of my neighborhood had indicated that my house had lost $50,000 in value during the past year. The second letter was to let me know that my property taxes would go up by 15% on my next property tax statement. I took both letters to the local tax assessor's office, and I asked them to explain the situation to me. They told me that one letter had nothing to do with the other. But to justify this year's 10% property tax increase...they told me that my house had INCREASED in value by $40,000 this past year.
The scenario of what I believe transpired:

Initially, the value of your property decreased, but the mill rate* was probably adjusted up to compensate for the decrease in property values in your area. You'll lose, if you sell your home, but the city/town gets to maintain the tax level needed to operate.

The 10% increase in property taxes reflects the new assessed value of your home (which can be protested) at the previously upped mill rate. Sometimes mill rates are reduced when property values increase (to avoid a tax increase), but only when the city/town is not in need of more tax revenue.

Quote:
*The mill rate is the amount of tax payable per dollar of the assessed value of a property. The mill rate is based on "mills." It is a figure that represents the amount per $1,000 of the assessed value of the property, which is used to calculate the amount of property tax.
Quote:
Typically, tax assessors will value the property every one to five years and charge the owner-of-record the appropriate rate following the standards set by the taxing authority. Three Assessors calculate that value using the mill levy–also called the millage tax–and the assessed property value.
You might want to consider filing your own protest with the city/town (as JR did), and realize the savings for yourself instead of an attorney.

Maybe we have a tax accountant or attorney here who could be of more help.
MargieRose is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-16-2020, 09:49 AM   #6722
46zilzal
velocitician
 
46zilzal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Posts: 23,321
Quote:
Originally Posted by hcap View Post
Totally incoherent in science and politics. You have been attempting to understand the science of epidemiology and current events using your two Bens simplistic pablum theory.

I can explain it to you, and have maybe a hundred times, but not understand it for you.

Go back to school. Virtual learning kindergarten is about your speed and safer. That way preschoolers won't embarrass you too much, having to help you with your milk and cookies.
On the money yet again
__________________
"If this world is all about winners, what's for the losers?" Jr. Bonner: "Well somebody's got to hold the horses Ace."
46zilzal is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-16-2020, 12:43 PM   #6723
hcap
Registered User
 
hcap's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location:
Posts: 29,477
Quote:
Originally Posted by 46zilzal View Post
On the money yet again
I was probably too hard on the chimp. If he brought banana flavored cookies to kindergarten, he would figure which orifice they go in.

However he asked if the governors or the moron were responsible for whatever piss-poor mitigation efforts the US made.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom
who is responsible for the mitigation - Trump of the states
Totally unaware that some governors reacted properly, but most did not, while the moron twiddled hi thumbs, with scarce leadership. Telling us "it will just go away and meanwhile inject Lysol".

You should look up the definition of a "false dichotomy."

Hey Tom, why did Europe handle to virus much better than we? They have a European Union, and each country acted together.

They also believed in science
__________________
The inmates have taken over the asylum.
hcap is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-16-2020, 12:56 PM   #6724
Track Collector
Horseracing Fairs Fan!!!
 
Track Collector's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 4,663
Caught most of an interview Friday on a local radio station (WMAL) with one of the high ups in the CDC. They warned of a potentially very bad season this fall/winter with regard to Covid AND Flu.

Just to show you how desperate the CDC is to continue the narrative, it appears they are now pushing the wearing of masks and social distancing because we must all of a sudden stop the FLU. So do your part to save humanity for the "greater good". (Just so it is clear, I am not against efforts to flight things like the flu, but only draconian measures that are politically motivated.).

The sad reality is that Socialists are never happy with whatever restrictions and controls they can impose on the masses, thus their quest for even more.
Track Collector is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-16-2020, 04:46 PM   #6725
jay68802
Registered User
 
jay68802's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Nebraska
Posts: 12,909
Quote:
Originally Posted by hcap View Post
I was probably too hard on the chimp. If he brought banana flavored cookies to kindergarten, he would figure which orifice they go in.

However he asked if the governors or the moron were responsible for whatever piss-poor mitigation efforts the US made.

Totally unaware that some governors reacted properly, but most did not, while the moron twiddled hi thumbs, with scarce leadership. Telling us "it will just go away and meanwhile inject Lysol".

You should look up the definition of a "false dichotomy."

Hey Tom, why did Europe handle to virus much better than we? They have a European Union, and each country acted together.

They also believed in science
Just more of you spouting bullshit.

The European countries that compare to the USA for population and density are Belgium, Britain, France, Italy, Germany, and Spain.

Testing: The 6 European Countries: 42 million.

USA: 60 million

Deaths: 6 European countries: 159,000

USA: 158,000

Economy: 6 European Countries: -12.1%

USA: -9.6%

The US is doing better than Europe, and not because of Democrat run States. Without them we are much better than Europe.

But, keep spouting your crap, I need a good laugh once in a while.
jay68802 is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-16-2020, 05:02 PM   #6726
xtb
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Western NY
Posts: 1,334
Quote:
Originally Posted by 46zilzal View Post
On the money yet again
.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg yatcakCheer.jpg (69.8 KB, 9 views)
xtb is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-16-2020, 05:04 PM   #6727
davew
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 13,994
Quote:
Originally Posted by hcap View Post
I was probably too hard on the chimp. If he brought banana flavored cookies to kindergarten, he would figure which orifice they go in.

However he asked if the governors or the moron were responsible for whatever piss-poor mitigation efforts the US made.

Totally unaware that some governors reacted properly, but most did not, while the moron twiddled hi thumbs, with scarce leadership. Telling us "it will just go away and meanwhile inject Lysol".

You should look up the definition of a "false dichotomy."

Hey Tom, why did Europe handle to virus much better than we? They have a European Union, and each country acted together.

They also believed in science
exactly, the governors in NY, NJ, and CA killed the most the fastest


please post a link to Trump saying to inject Lysol
davew is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-16-2020, 05:51 PM   #6728
hcap
Registered User
 
hcap's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location:
Posts: 29,477
Quote:
Originally Posted by jay68802 View Post
Just more of you spouting bullshit.

The European countries that compare to the USA for population and density are Belgium, Britain, France, Italy, Germany, and Spain.

Testing: The 6 European Countries: 42 million.

USA: 60 million

Deaths: 6 European countries: 159,000

USA: 158,000

Economy: 6 European Countries: -12.1%

USA: -9.6%

The US is doing better than Europe, and not because of Democrat run States. Without them we are much better than Europe.

But, keep spouting your crap, I need a good laugh once in a while.
Crap? Why no sources for your stats pal? Pull them out of your rear?

Maybe you should go to the same kindergarten as the chimp.

United States
Coronavirus Cases:
5,560,742
Deaths:
173,036
https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/#countries


The 27 member countries of the EU
The demographics of the European Union show a highly populated, culturally diverse union of 27 member states. As of 1 February 2020, the population of the EU is about 445 million people

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Demogr...European_Union
__________________
The inmates have taken over the asylum.
hcap is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-16-2020, 06:10 PM   #6729
hcap
Registered User
 
hcap's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location:
Posts: 29,477
Hey jay, be careful who you accuse of bullshit

https://www.hospitalitynet.org/news/4099457.html
One graphic explains why Americans are facing an EU travel ban

__________________
The inmates have taken over the asylum.

Last edited by hcap; 08-16-2020 at 06:14 PM.
hcap is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-16-2020, 06:14 PM   #6730
PaceAdvantage
PA Steward
 
PaceAdvantage's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: Del Boca Vista
Posts: 66,664
Sweden is in the EU...figures...
__________________
@paceadvantage | Support the site and become a today!
PaceAdvantage is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-16-2020, 06:16 PM   #6731
hcap
Registered User
 
hcap's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location:
Posts: 29,477
Quote:
Originally Posted by PaceAdvantage View Post
Sweden is in the EU...figures...
And I thought boxcar was a broken record.
__________________
The inmates have taken over the asylum.
hcap is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-16-2020, 06:22 PM   #6732
classhandicapper
Registered User
 
classhandicapper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Queens, NY
Posts: 16,322
IMO, epidemiologists and medical doctors (and idiot media people) are spending so much time debating what should be happening and making bad predictions based on their own theories they aren't paying enough attention to the what actually "is" happening.

The pattern is similar all over the world.

Once the virus breaks out in an area there is exponential growth in cases until about 10% (give or take) of the population is infected. Then the growth rate starts to decline and flatten. Then as more people get infected the new cases start declining (Texas and Florida are recent examples). Once you get into the 20%-30% range in the area it more or less slows to a trickle (like NY and NJ).

You can slow down or even stop the initial exponential growth for awhile if you lock down quickly and hard (like some countries have done), but it eventually it makes it's way back. Locking down does not stop it. It delays the inevitable unless you want to destroy yourself by locking down forever.

It can well be argued that delays help with hospitalization and ICU issues, buy us time for treatments and vaccines etc... That's all correct. But the standard thinking about this virus has been wrong.

There must be some combination immunity after infection, partial immunity/resistance in some people, or certain people that spread it more readily than others that makes the exponential growth and heard immunity math invalid. Exponential growth slows on it's own in the 10%-20% range and with any help from masks, distancing, and responsible behavior etc.. you can open up without huge impact long before the theory of herd immunity suggests. If you lock down and produce better numbers for awhile, be prepared to lock down for a long time and to self destruct because it's coming back once you open.
__________________
"Money won is twice as sweet as money earned." Fast Eddie Felson

Last edited by classhandicapper; 08-16-2020 at 06:26 PM.
classhandicapper is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-16-2020, 06:26 PM   #6733
PaceAdvantage
PA Steward
 
PaceAdvantage's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: Del Boca Vista
Posts: 66,664
Shhhhhhh.....that would be bad for the election...need to keep this going a few more months...should be EASY
__________________
@paceadvantage | Support the site and become a today!
PaceAdvantage is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-16-2020, 08:58 PM   #6734
ElKabong
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Posts: 8,526
Quote:
Originally Posted by hcap View Post
Crap? Why no sources for your stats pal? Pull them out of your rear?

Maybe you should go to the same kindergarten as the chimp.

United States
Coronavirus Cases:
5,560,742
Deaths:
173,036
https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/#countries


The 27 member countries of the EU
The demographics of the European Union show a highly populated, culturally diverse union of 27 member states. As of 1 February 2020, the population of the EU is about 445 million people

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Demogr...European_Union
You posted your fiction #s above to Jay, but I thought I'd give you a reminder of the motorcyclist that "died of covid 19". The #s you and EVERYONE else is providing, is fiction

Attached Images
File Type: jpg fake c19.jpg (57.2 KB, 8 views)
__________________
October 12, 2020

Joe Biden: "I'm running as a proud Democrat for the Senate"
ElKabong is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-16-2020, 09:01 PM   #6735
davew
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 13,994
Quote:
Originally Posted by classhandicapper View Post
IMO, epidemiologists and medical doctors (and idiot media people) are spending so much time debating what should be happening and making bad predictions based on their own theories they aren't paying enough attention to the what actually "is" happening.

The pattern is similar all over the world.

Once the virus breaks out in an area there is exponential growth in cases until about 10% (give or take) of the population is infected. Then the growth rate starts to decline and flatten. Then as more people get infected the new cases start declining (Texas and Florida are recent examples). Once you get into the 20%-30% range in the area it more or less slows to a trickle (like NY and NJ).

You can slow down or even stop the initial exponential growth for awhile if you lock down quickly and hard (like some countries have done), but it eventually it makes it's way back. Locking down does not stop it. It delays the inevitable unless you want to destroy yourself by locking down forever.

It can well be argued that delays help with hospitalization and ICU issues, buy us time for treatments and vaccines etc... That's all correct. But the standard thinking about this virus has been wrong.

There must be some combination immunity after infection, partial immunity/resistance in some people, or certain people that spread it more readily than others that makes the exponential growth and heard immunity math invalid. Exponential growth slows on it's own in the 10%-20% range and with any help from masks, distancing, and responsible behavior etc.. you can open up without huge impact long before the theory of herd immunity suggests. If you lock down and produce better numbers for awhile, be prepared to lock down for a long time and to self destruct because it's coming back once you open.
New Zealand just had 30 new cases after locking down their country to tourism for 4 months.

Extra deaths because of not being diagnosed and treated will be more than from corona.

It would not surprise me if US life expectancy drops a couple years in next couple years, even though median age of corona deaths is higher than current average life expectancy.
davew is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Reply




Thread Tools
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

» Advertisement
» Current Polls
How do you prefer your Coffee !?
Cream and Sugar - 28.57%
30 Votes
Cream only - 20.00%
21 Votes
Black - 41.90%
44 Votes
Decaf - 9.52%
10 Votes
Espresso - 12.38%
13 Votes
Starbucks etc... - 9.52%
10 Votes
Other - 23.81%
25 Votes
Total Votes: 105
This poll is closed.
Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.3

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 02:48 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright 1999 - 2020 -- PaceAdvantage.Com -- All Rights Reserved -- Best Viewed in a modern browser @ 1280x720 Resolution Or Higher
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program
designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.