Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Racing Discussion


Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 08-20-2018, 10:51 PM   #256
dilanesp
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 7,021
Quote:
Originally Posted by GMB@BP View Post
I highly doubt in the future attendance figures are going to mean much. Heck it wont be long until an empty casino will not mean much to MGM, just means more people are using their phones.
Especially at Del Mar's prices a live player is probably worth 2 or 3 off track bettors.

It has been a big part of their business model for a long time.
dilanesp is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-20-2018, 11:03 PM   #257
GMB@BP
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Dark Side of the Moon
Posts: 5,241
Quote:
Originally Posted by dilanesp View Post
Especially at Del Mar's prices a live player is probably worth 2 or 3 off track bettors.

It has been a big part of their business model for a long time.
You said that about the Breeders Cup never coming back to Del Mar due to attendance.

You seen college football, record distributions to the teams, yet almost all leagues (other than the B1G) saw attendance decreases last year. Attendance as a health rating is a thing of the past with todays consumer.

You could be right that they make more if they can get a live person there, my contention is they know that is a by gone era and are dealing with that reality.

Del Mar may be the great example, absolutely solid web site, replays if full HD on Youtube shortly after the race. Live paddock and track camera feeds.

Just my two cents, probably all its worth.
GMB@BP is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-20-2018, 11:11 PM   #258
GMB@BP
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Dark Side of the Moon
Posts: 5,241
So far through 203 races favorites are winning at 30%. 32% on dirt and only 25% on turf.

Avg winning mutual $13.10
GMB@BP is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-20-2018, 11:24 PM   #259
cj
@TimeformUSfigs
 
cj's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: Moore, OK
Posts: 44,485
Quote:
Originally Posted by GMB@BP View Post
So far through 203 races favorites are winning at 30%. 32% on dirt and only 25% on turf.

Avg winning mutual $13.10
Best meet I've had there in ages. The racing has been tremendous.
cj is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-21-2018, 08:46 AM   #260
CincyHorseplayer
Registered User
 
CincyHorseplayer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Cincinnati,Ohio
Posts: 5,289
The prices have been square and I can bet with confidence at Del Mar. I've felt this for the last 2 years. The chaos factor at Saratoga, at least from my viewpoint has made it unbettable this year. It's to the point that my favorite races are the maidens with nearly no starts, betting off pedigree, trainer, and rider stats. Del Mar has been a complete comfort zone and my loyalty will reside there indefinitely.
CincyHorseplayer is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-21-2018, 12:18 PM   #261
SG4
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Posts: 700
8/18 final race

Surprised to see no comments on the absolutely bizarre betting in Del Mar's finale on Pacific Classic day. The favorite, Avalanche, just got pounded the whole way through & was 3-5 with just a few minutes to post before drifting up a few spots. I figured this horse would be in the 4-1 range in a wide open field. Imagine if he won people would be shouting about this but considering he didn't get up seems like someone took quite a bath & the rest of us quietly turned the page.
SG4 is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-21-2018, 02:03 PM   #262
dilanesp
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 7,021
Quote:
Originally Posted by GMB@BP View Post
You said that about the Breeders Cup never coming back to Del Mar due to attendance.

You seen college football, record distributions to the teams, yet almost all leagues (other than the B1G) saw attendance decreases last year. Attendance as a health rating is a thing of the past with todays consumer.

You could be right that they make more if they can get a live person there, my contention is they know that is a by gone era and are dealing with that reality.

Del Mar may be the great example, absolutely solid web site, replays if full HD on Youtube shortly after the race. Live paddock and track camera feeds.

Just my two cents, probably all its worth.
Let me put it this way.

If DMR can keep up these handle figures, I am sure they will do reasonably well.

But Del Mar sells an image of a track full of young well dressed people drinking and having fun. If they lose that, it isn't coming back. And then they will struggle if they aren't able to produce the great betting cards that they have produced this year.
dilanesp is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-21-2018, 05:19 PM   #263
chiguy
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Posts: 265
Interesting that the only time the brick and mortar in Cali out handles the ADW in Cali is on PC day. People will still come out for a big day.
chiguy is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-21-2018, 05:50 PM   #264
v j stauffer
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 3,517
Quote:
Originally Posted by SG4 View Post
Surprised to see no comments on the absolutely bizarre betting in Del Mar's finale on Pacific Classic day. The favorite, Avalanche, just got pounded the whole way through & was 3-5 with just a few minutes to post before drifting up a few spots. I figured this horse would be in the 4-1 range in a wide open field. Imagine if he won people would be shouting about this but considering he didn't get up seems like someone took quite a bath & the rest of us quietly turned the page.
That was simply the byproduct of a morning line mistake. Avalanche should have been lined at 2-1. Then the early action wouldn't have seemed like huge steam.

Also, people tend to follow the hot hand of the day. Rosario was shooting for his 5th. Sadler his 3rd and they had just combined to win a $1 million race.
__________________
"Just because she's a hitter and a thief doesn't mean she's not a good woman in all the other places" Mayrose Prizzi
v j stauffer is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-24-2018, 02:37 AM   #265
SG4
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Posts: 700
Quote:
Originally Posted by v j stauffer View Post
That was simply the byproduct of a morning line mistake. Avalanche should have been lined at 2-1. Then the early action wouldn't have seemed like huge steam.

Also, people tend to follow the hot hand of the day. Rosario was shooting for his 5th. Sadler his 3rd and they had just combined to win a $1 million race.

I thought the ML should've split the difference around 4-1, and I can see smaller bettors following the hot hands but this horse was taking hundreds of thousands of $ more in action than expected & it wasn't just early steam, he was being pounded later in the betting too, was just bizarre action to me in all ways. I usually prefer to handicap after seeing morning lines, this is one of the cases I didn't do that & I landed on Alsatian who I thought would be in the 6-1 range, and was taken aback to see him at 20-1 on the ML. Considering he went off at 50-1 (and was 70-1 with a few mins to go) this was betting that seemed like bizarro world to me. The only thing not bizarro was my pick not getting up no matter what the odds!
SG4 is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-28-2018, 12:04 PM   #266
Andy Asaro
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Posts: 2,972
Andy Asaro is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-28-2018, 12:33 PM   #267
Andy Asaro
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Posts: 2,972
Del Mar handle to date versus 2017. Most of gain is from out of state. Out of state = less revenue.

2018 Handle on races run at Del Mar = $323,788,888

2017 Handle on races run at Del Mar = $297,385,533
Andy Asaro is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-30-2018, 11:49 PM   #268
ultracapper
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Seattle
Posts: 3,739
I just watched the replay where Nakatani got hurt. Seems to me the bug didn't even look back, like he didn't even realize he'd caused such a disaster. Did he get days for that ride? The kid just decided he was going to take the rail and absolutely didn't seem to even consider if there may have already been a horse there. Hell, Nakatani is fortunate to be alive from the looks of that spill.
ultracapper is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-30-2018, 11:53 PM   #269
GMB@BP
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Dark Side of the Moon
Posts: 5,241
Quote:
Originally Posted by ultracapper View Post
I just watched the replay where Nakatani got hurt. Seems to me the bug didn't even look back, like he didn't even realize he'd caused such a disaster. Did he get days for that ride? The kid just decided he was going to take the rail and absolutely didn't seem to even consider if there may have already been a horse there. Hell, Nakatani is fortunate to be alive from the looks of that spill.
It was completely reckless, and the rider is appealing, likely till he loses his bug and will take them (7 days) when he is riding at some second tier track trying to work his way up.
GMB@BP is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-02-2018, 05:14 PM   #270
Andy Asaro
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Posts: 2,972
Ice Cube Sunday, September 2 @ After Last Race
Where: Seaside Stage
Type: Concert

Spend Labor Day weekend trackside with a special performance by rapper Ice Cube on the seaside stage.


Andy Asaro is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Reply




Thread Tools
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

» Advertisement
» Current Polls
How do you prefer your Coffee !?
Cream and Sugar - 28.57%
30 Votes
Cream only - 20.00%
21 Votes
Black - 41.90%
44 Votes
Decaf - 9.52%
10 Votes
Espresso - 12.38%
13 Votes
Starbucks etc... - 9.52%
10 Votes
Other - 23.81%
25 Votes
Total Votes: 105
This poll is closed.
Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.3

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 02:40 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright 1999 - 2020 -- PaceAdvantage.Com -- All Rights Reserved -- Best Viewed in a modern browser @ 1280x720 Resolution Or Higher
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program
designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.