Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Off Topic > Off Topic - General


Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 05-19-2016, 07:54 AM   #46
boxcar
Registered User
 
boxcar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Posts: 39,902
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hank
Sorry but further contextualization in no way alters the meaning of Jesus's admonition.The young man was looking directly into the face of Jesus Christ and when faced with the choice of Jesus or his wealth he chose wealth.He is emblematic of mankind as your feeble rationalization confirms.

“If you would be perfect, go, sell what you possess and give to the poor, and you will have treasure in heaven; and come, follow me.”

"No one can serve two masters. For you will hate one and love the other, or be devoted to one and despise the other. You cannot serve both God and money."
Money was the lord of the young man's life instead of Jesus. As Jesus also taught, a person cannot love money and love God, for one cannot serve two masters. The moral of the story is that the young rich man loved his money more than God and, therefore, didn't want to sell his possessions to follow Jesus. So...it's not wealth that is evil, but the love of it that is.

Moreover, common sense should tell you that money can often be used for good.

As someone here already said (and wisely so), money should be used as a means toward an end, and not an end in itself.
__________________
Consistent profits can only be made on the basis of analysis that is far from obvious to the majority. - anonymous guru
boxcar is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-19-2016, 11:07 AM   #47
Robert Fischer
clean money
 
Robert Fischer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Maryland
Posts: 20,448
you've got to meet your 'basic needs' to be happy

if you meet your basic needs and have a positive, healthy, sustainable lifestyle, = you can be happy as hell with a relatively small amount of money.

by the same token, you can be filthy rich, and if you aren't meeting your basic needs, and/or if your lifestyle is kicking your own ass on a daily basis, = life will be miserable.
__________________
Preparation. Discipline. Patience. Decisiveness.
Robert Fischer is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-19-2016, 12:57 PM   #48
Dave Schwartz
 
Dave Schwartz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: Reno, NV
Posts: 14,916
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hank
Sorry but further contextualization in no way alters the meaning of Jesus's admonition.The young man was looking directly into the face of Jesus Christ and when faced with the choice of Jesus or his wealth he chose wealth.He is emblematic of mankind as your feeble rationalization confirms.

“If you would be perfect, go, sell what you possess and give to the poor, and you will have treasure in heaven; and come, follow me.”

"No one can serve two masters. For you will hate one and love the other, or be devoted to one and despise the other. You cannot serve both God and money."
The brand of Christianity that I was taught does not lend itself to preachy-ness or proselytizing, so this will be a single post - has led me to a somewhat different understanding of these verses. (Of course, you will accept or discard based upon your own opinion.)

IMHO, this was not actually about money at all. Rather it is about answering the question, "Who do we rely upon?"

As we are transformed, Jesus expects us to rely more and more upon him. Unlike most of us, he did not struggle to succeed, often being our own worst enemy. The point of the verses was that this mean was a self-made man.

How does such a man bow down and say, "I need you to be in charge of my life?"


Okay, that is all.


Dave
Dave Schwartz is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-19-2016, 03:59 PM   #49
MPRanger
Registered User
 
MPRanger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Texas
Posts: 299
No. Money isn't everything.

Let's see ... there's

Faster horses
Younger women

Then Money. More money.
__________________
So sayeth the Ranger....
MPRanger is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-19-2016, 04:04 PM   #50
Stillriledup
Veteran
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 25,607
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Fischer
you've got to meet your 'basic needs' to be happy

if you meet your basic needs and have a positive, healthy, sustainable lifestyle, = you can be happy as hell with a relatively small amount of money.

by the same token, you can be filthy rich, and if you aren't meeting your basic needs, and/or if your lifestyle is kicking your own ass on a daily basis, = life will be miserable.
but with the very rich person who is miserable, that's not money's fault, right?

money gets a bad rap for people like this who might be miserable anyway who just HAPPEN to have money.
Stillriledup is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-19-2016, 04:28 PM   #51
ronsmac
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 2,686
Quote:
Originally Posted by MPRanger
No. Money isn't everything.

Let's see ... there's

Faster horses
Younger women

Then Money. More money.
Not just younger women but hot younger women.
ronsmac is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-19-2016, 05:49 PM   #52
barahona44
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Location: Diez meses en Port St. Lucie, FL; two months in the Dominican Republic
Posts: 4,300
Quote:
Originally Posted by MPRanger
No. Money isn't everything.

Let's see ... there's

Faster horses
Younger women

Then Money. More money.
First comes the money ,THEN comes the younger women.Because to get the babes, you gotta have the bucks.
barahona44 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-19-2016, 06:29 PM   #53
ronsmac
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 2,686
Quote:
Originally Posted by barahona44
First comes the money ,THEN comes the younger women.Because to get the babes, you gotta have the bucks.
When you're rich wonen are like cars. You upgrade and get a newer model. Trump's first wife is 67, his 2nd wife is 52, his current wife is 46. His next wife is between 25 and 30 right now. That's called winning.
ronsmac is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-19-2016, 09:05 PM   #54
NorCalGreg
Authorized Advertiser
 
NorCalGreg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Location: Oakland, Ca
Posts: 6,969
Money, it's a hit
Don't give me that do goody good bullshit
__________________
1 510 203-8274
www.pace-view.net

email: norcalgreg@pace-view.net
*Newsletter sign-up
https://tinyletter.com/NorCalGreg


.

*As seen on PaceAdvantage.com, Phillips Racing Newsletter, Horseplayer Monthly, EastCoast PonyPicks... and the laptops of horseplayers everywhere!
NorCalGreg is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-19-2016, 11:03 PM   #55
VigorsTheGrey
Veteran
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Posts: 4,553
Quote:
Originally Posted by ronsmac
When you're rich wonen are like cars. You upgrade and get a newer model. Trump's first wife is 67, his 2nd wife is 52, his current wife is 46. His next wife is between 25 and 30 right now. That's called winning.
It might also be called EGO, not that ego is bad, personally I think egoistic, not egotistic, is really the default case for humans, but it gets mixed up with egotistic and vanity in most folks heads...I personally don't know what I would do with a much younger woman apart from the obvious 5 min thrill....but your take on women being preoccupied with money doesn't do women well...your remarks say more about the type of women you prefer probably more than about women in general...although I must admit most people in general are impressed and preoccupied with money...it buys a lot of stuff even human emotion...

Last edited by VigorsTheGrey; 05-19-2016 at 11:07 PM.
VigorsTheGrey is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-19-2016, 11:12 PM   #56
ronsmac
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 2,686
Quote:
Originally Posted by VigorsTheGrey
It might also be called EGO, not that ego is bad, personally I think egoistic, not egotistic, is really the default case for humans, but it gets mixed up with egotistic and vanity in most folks heads...I personally don't know what I would do with a much younger woman apart from the obvious 5 min thrill....but your take on women being preoccupied with money doesn't do women well...your remarks say more about the type of women you prefer probably more than about women in general...although I must admit most people in general are impressed and preoccupied with money...it buys a lot of stuff even human emotion...
You are correct. I definitely prefer younger and hotter but unfortunately for me i have about.00001% of Trump's money. So I can't pull a Trump or Stalone or MJ or insert whatever rich famous guy you choose.
ronsmac is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-20-2016, 12:21 AM   #57
Sinner369
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Canada
Posts: 539
But it is also................???

Quote:
Originally Posted by boxcar
Not so! Wealth in and of itself is neither good or bad, but becomes either when we choose what to do with it. Therefore, as the Good Book says, "The love of money is the root of many evils."
But money is also a source of many pleasures in life..........the main one is that it gives you peace of mind.
__________________
Lotteries & Horse Racing....Difference between a Mindless Gamble & an Intellectual Pursuit!
Sinner369 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-20-2016, 01:13 AM   #58
Hank
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 1,696
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Schwartz
The brand of Christianity that I was taught does not lend itself to preachy-ness or proselytizing, so this will be a single post - has led me to a somewhat different understanding of these verses. (Of course, you will accept or discard based upon your own opinion.)

IMHO, this was not actually about money at all. Rather it is about answering the question, "Who do we rely upon?"

As we are transformed, Jesus expects us to rely more and more upon him. Unlike most of us, he did not struggle to succeed, often being our own worst enemy. The point of the verses was that this mean was a self-made man.

How does such a man bow down and say, "I need you to be in charge of my life?"


Okay, that is all.


Dave
Interesting,there is esoteric meaning below the surface of most Scripture,but this does not necessarily negate the more obvious interpretation, that the mind set of the wealthy and of those that crave wealth is not a mind set that is normally compatible with deep sincere spirituality.

Last edited by Hank; 05-20-2016 at 01:14 AM.
Hank is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-20-2016, 01:17 AM   #59
Hank
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 1,696
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sinner369
But money is also a source of many pleasures in life..........the main one is that it gives you peace of mind.
Really. Take a stroll through Saint Jude's Hospital.
Hank is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-20-2016, 02:28 AM   #60
traynor
Registered User
 
traynor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Posts: 6,626
Quote:
Originally Posted by MPRanger
No. Money isn't everything.

Let's see ... there's

Faster horses
Younger women

Then Money. More money.

You left out "older whiskey."
traynor is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Reply




Thread Tools
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

» Advertisement
» Current Polls
How do you prefer your Coffee !?
Cream and Sugar - 28.57%
30 Votes
Cream only - 20.00%
21 Votes
Black - 41.90%
44 Votes
Decaf - 9.52%
10 Votes
Espresso - 12.38%
13 Votes
Starbucks etc... - 9.52%
10 Votes
Other - 23.81%
25 Votes
Total Votes: 105
This poll is closed.
Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.3

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 06:00 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright 1999 - 2020 -- PaceAdvantage.Com -- All Rights Reserved -- Best Viewed in a modern browser @ 1280x720 Resolution Or Higher
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program
designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.