Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Off Topic > Off Topic - General


Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 12-18-2012, 06:10 AM   #151
fast4522
Registered User
 
fast4522's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: New Hampshire
Posts: 9,975
Because the truth is this most recent whack job used guns, the next may not. We are living in a time when people intend having their 15 minutes television time are planing to die. Obviously this most recent whack job hatched a plan to inflect damage, the next whack job will hatch something else. A few years ago white powder was being sent to government office buildings, remember that? How about Bill Ayers back in the day as a Weatherman planting bombs. Do you people really think that schools will be the target of the next whack job, I don't think so? This was what a 20 year old degenerate did to us, who knows from what ranks the next will come from? I prefer to be wrong but believe we will be broadsided someplace else. The idea of arming people in schools is crazy.

Last edited by fast4522; 12-18-2012 at 06:11 AM.
fast4522 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 12-18-2012, 06:15 AM   #152
hcap
Registered User
 
hcap's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location:
Posts: 29,464
I don't think so. School shootings have a long history, and give the shooter his few minutes of fame.

Unfortunately the copycat factor is strong
hcap is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 12-18-2012, 06:36 AM   #153
hcap
Registered User
 
hcap's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location:
Posts: 29,464
Here’s a map of the world with violent mass shootings. Yes, there have been plenty of problems around the world but you can’t help but notice the concentration of events in the US.



Compiled from:

http://www.infoplease.com/ipa/A0777958.html

Time Line of Worldwide School and Mass Shootings
hcap is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 12-18-2012, 06:47 AM   #154
Pace Cap'n
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Posts: 2,959
What a coincidence...the most populous country has the most shootings.

Guns are to homicides as knives and forks are to obesity.
Pace Cap'n is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 12-18-2012, 06:59 AM   #155
delayjf
Registered User
 
delayjf's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: Norfolk VA
Posts: 6,079
Quote:
I used info from Harvard
Yea, they're not political. Might as well quote NBC.
delayjf is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 12-18-2012, 09:13 AM   #156
badcompany
Registered User
 
badcompany's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Manhattan
Posts: 3,826
Quote:
Originally Posted by hcap
Careful Steve. The crew here KNOWS your info is worthless because it after all uses Socialist countries to support your thesis. You are obviously wrong. I used info from Harvard, but then again I have been called a Commie for lesser crimes like quoting the Congressional Record
.
Is it not standard operating procedure for Governments to use a tragedy to take away rights from its citizens?
__________________
“Life does not ask what we want. It presents us with options”

― Thomas Sowell
badcompany is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 12-18-2012, 10:07 AM   #157
Robert Goren
Racing Form Detective
 
Robert Goren's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Lincoln, Ne but my heart is at Santa Anita
Posts: 16,316
Quote:
Originally Posted by badcompany
Is it not standard operating procedure for Governments to use a tragedy to take away rights from its citizens?
What the rights of those 20 children and 6 adults that died because inadequate gun laws? Did not the government take away their rights by failing to act in what is now an all too apparent danger to us all by mental ill people with guns designed to be used by soldiers in war? This not first time this kind of mass murder has happened? Heck, It is not even the first time it has happened this month. How many more times does it have too happen before action is taken? I mean real action, not just crazy talk about impractical things like putting armed guards at every school, movie theater , shopping mall or where ever the next place is that one of these nuts weighted down automatic and/or semi-automatic guns decides to wreck havoc on innocent people.
__________________
Some day in the not too distant future, horse players will betting on computer generated races over the net. Race tracks will become casinos and shopping centers. And some crooner will be belting out "there used to be a race track here".
Robert Goren is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 12-18-2012, 10:09 AM   #158
ArlJim78
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 8,429
according to CNN, after the first 911 calls from the school, first responders arrived 20 MINUTES later. 20 minutes to respond to a call about shots fired in a grade school? If that is true (just because CNN reported it doesn't make it true, if we've learned anything it's not to trust any information from the so-called "most trusted" names in news), then I'd like to see a detailed response timeline showing why it took so long. for something like this minutes can mean life or death.
ArlJim78 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 12-18-2012, 10:42 AM   #159
Tom
The Voice of Reason!
 
Tom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: Canandaigua, New york
Posts: 102,811
Quote:
What the rights of those 20 children and 6 adults that died because inadequate gun laws?
You say tighter gun laws would have prevented this.
This is not a given.
We had an assault rifle ban in 1993 - data shows it did nothing.

Drugs are illegal, Bobby - yet they are everywhere.

How about inadequate protection for the school?
They had a glass door locked and he shot it out.

The fact is, he was the only one armed in the so-called school safe zone.
__________________
Who does the Racing Form Detective like in this one?
Tom is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 12-18-2012, 10:56 AM   #160
sammy the sage
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: central fla.
Posts: 4,664
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArlJim78
according to CNN, after the first 911 calls from the school, first responders arrived 20 MINUTES later. 20 minutes to respond to a call about shots fired in a grade school? If that is true (just because CNN reported it doesn't make it true, if we've learned anything it's not to trust any information from the so-called "most trusted" names in news), then I'd like to see a detailed response timeline showing why it took so long. for something like this minutes can mean life or death.
Well the dispatcher 1st had to ASK...

What phone is this?
then...
Who is this?
then...
Where are you calling from?

alrighty then...we got that straightened out

What's happenning AGAIN???

you say a shooting...what kind...

who is it?

what's all that screaming about?

are THOSE actual gunshots?

Don't hang-up?

oh yes...we have somebody already dispatched...after they get their donuts on the way...
__________________
cleanse your soul....vote THIRD party....
sammy the sage is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 12-18-2012, 10:57 AM   #161
Robert Goren
Racing Form Detective
 
Robert Goren's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Lincoln, Ne but my heart is at Santa Anita
Posts: 16,316
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom
You say tighter gun laws would have prevented this.
This is not a given.
We had an assault rifle ban in 1993 - data shows it did nothing.

Drugs are illegal, Bobby - yet they are everywhere.

How about inadequate protection for the school?
They had a glass door locked and he shot it out.

The fact is, he was the only one armed in the so-called school safe zone.
So we shouldn't have glass windows or doors in our schools. And we should arm our teachers. Those are the crazy ideas. An armed guard at the door would have just gotten the guard killed and prevented nothing. Good guns laws do work somewhat and there are countries that have them to prove it. Once the nut is at the school, mall or whatever with his guns, it is too late. We have stop him before he gets there.
__________________
Some day in the not too distant future, horse players will betting on computer generated races over the net. Race tracks will become casinos and shopping centers. And some crooner will be belting out "there used to be a race track here".
Robert Goren is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 12-18-2012, 11:03 AM   #162
Tom
The Voice of Reason!
 
Tom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: Canandaigua, New york
Posts: 102,811
Quote:
An armed guard at the door would have just gotten the guard killed and prevented nothing.
I'm saying armed guards, but if one were there, doubtful he would have ever tried to get in.

Arming teachers in NOT absurd. It is being done in some of the more intelligent states now. You just don't hand out guns.....there is a process.

http://www.lonsberry.com/writings.cfm?story=3474&go=4



Quote:
Half the country is against banning guns and the other half is against arming teachers. Politically, neither can be enacted, and efforts to do either will only incite political division and rancor.

So if something has to be done, what should we do?

My suggestion: School resource officers.

__________________
Who does the Racing Form Detective like in this one?
Tom is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 12-18-2012, 11:08 AM   #163
johnhannibalsmith
Registered User
 
johnhannibalsmith's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 12,402
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Goren
What the rights of those 20 children and 6 adults that died because inadequate gun laws? ...

(next post)

...We have stop him before he gets there.
...
I don't get from point A to point B in your logic. Do we need to take away his offensive looking weapon or do we need to stop him before he gets there? Surely taking away his offensive looking weapon alone doesn't stop him before he gets there.

I agree with the conclusion, the second statement for sure. I might agree with the first statement, but it is independent from the second. It certainly doesn't appear to me to be a condition of reaching the conclusion.

Do you want fewer people to die or do you want to stop him from getting there? Which is more important, because lard knows, we only have the attention span and will to deal with one major problem at a time. Considering the benefit of approaching the problem from the perspective of sentence number one and then the benefit of approaching it from sentence number two, and then factoring in the political battles and what would happen in the interim of those battles, which direction would you actually like to see our attention focused on primarily? Taking the offensive gun or stopping him before he gets there?
__________________
"You make me feel like I am fun again."

-Robert James Smith, 1989
johnhannibalsmith is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 12-18-2012, 11:35 AM   #164
Tom
The Voice of Reason!
 
Tom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: Canandaigua, New york
Posts: 102,811
Quote:
Taking the offensive gun or stopping him before he gets there?
Or be ready for him when he arrives?
__________________
Who does the Racing Form Detective like in this one?
Tom is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 12-18-2012, 01:13 PM   #165
Robert Goren
Racing Form Detective
 
Robert Goren's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Lincoln, Ne but my heart is at Santa Anita
Posts: 16,316
I hope all of you who want to put armed people in our schools are ready to come up with the dollars to do it because it going to be expensive, very expensive.
__________________
Some day in the not too distant future, horse players will betting on computer generated races over the net. Race tracks will become casinos and shopping centers. And some crooner will be belting out "there used to be a race track here".
Robert Goren is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Reply




Thread Tools
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

» Advertisement
» Current Polls
How do you prefer your Coffee !?
Cream and Sugar - 28.57%
30 Votes
Cream only - 20.00%
21 Votes
Black - 41.90%
44 Votes
Decaf - 9.52%
10 Votes
Espresso - 12.38%
13 Votes
Starbucks etc... - 9.52%
10 Votes
Other - 23.81%
25 Votes
Total Votes: 105
This poll is closed.
Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.3

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 01:03 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright 1999 - 2020 -- PaceAdvantage.Com -- All Rights Reserved -- Best Viewed in a modern browser @ 1280x720 Resolution Or Higher
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program
designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.