Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Racing Discussion


Poll: Are you glad Game On Dude lost
Poll Options
Are you glad Game On Dude lost

Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 11-05-2012, 12:04 PM   #16
PaceAdvantage
PA Steward
 
PaceAdvantage's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: Del Boca Vista
Posts: 66,646
Quote:
Originally Posted by racingfan378
I am glad "Dude" lost the race b/c I think Sutherland would still be in the racing game if that move wasn't made.
I think this is an unwise assumption to make. If jockeys are used to anything, especially veterans like Sutherland, it's losing good mounts.

And if it were true that that's the reason she retired (which it isn't), then that's a good thing...this game isn't for her if her mental fortitude and ego are that fragile (which they aren't).
PaceAdvantage is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-05-2012, 12:37 PM   #17
Relwob Owner
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 3,898
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom
If she had kept the mount, she probably would have retired Saturday night.
Exactly. Yes, she may have waited it out until after Game On Dude ran in the Classic, which anyone with an ounce of common sense would have done. However, I don't see getting taken off of one mount forcing the end of a career and like I believe Pace said, if that was the reason, which from what I have seen of her, it probably wasn't, then she didn't have the mental fortitude to continue to be riding anyways.

Last edited by Relwob Owner; 11-05-2012 at 12:49 PM.
Relwob Owner is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-05-2012, 01:03 PM   #18
racingfan378
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: KC, KS
Posts: 177
With all due respect I disagree 100% on the comments made above

No one makes $270,000 in two mins worth of work, if she was riding Game on Dude and if he would have won, that's one high you just dont come down off of and say "I quit" in the winners.

Hernandez for sure will be getting lots more phone calls to ride in bigger races and he doesnt do too bad at the Fair Grounds year after year.

We will never know the true answer to her pulling the plug on a excellent career that was just starting to perk up.
racingfan378 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-05-2012, 01:14 PM   #19
Leparoux
Registered User
 
Leparoux's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 454
I am simply for the fact that he might have undeservedly won Horse of the Year if he had won the race.
Leparoux is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-05-2012, 01:16 PM   #20
Robert Fischer
clean money
 
Robert Fischer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Maryland
Posts: 20,432
Chantal Sutherland retired because of a broken heart.

I don't wish any ill-will on Baffert or the connections, this is part of the game. I'm not glad Dude lost either, not fair to the horse.

Just another colorful racing yarn.
__________________
Preparation. Discipline. Patience. Decisiveness.
Robert Fischer is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-05-2012, 01:20 PM   #21
johnhannibalsmith
Registered User
 
johnhannibalsmith's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 12,402
It's a grind. Some jocks just lose the desire and the will and unless you are an elite jock a la Bailey who can show up and ride six favorites for big money wherever he feels like it and watch the money roll in, it just compounds upon itself. I don't doubt that losing the mount probably accelerated the choice, but if she had the passion and the fire, she'd be hunting the next "big horse" like every other jock, trainer, and owner that suffers heartwrenching setback after setback in this game. She's not having to choose between piling up losing jock mounts and a winner here and there or becoming a gallop girl, she can walk away with security and without worries. It's not exactly an uncommon scenario for people in the industry to just get burned out and take advantage of a better option when it seems like its time.
__________________
"You make me feel like I am fun again."

-Robert James Smith, 1989
johnhannibalsmith is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-05-2012, 01:33 PM   #22
Relwob Owner
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 3,898
Quote:
Originally Posted by racingfan378
With all due respect I disagree 100% on the comments made above

No one makes $270,000 in two mins worth of work, if she was riding Game on Dude and if he would have won, that's one high you just dont come down off of and say "I quit" in the winners.

Hernandez for sure will be getting lots more phone calls to ride in bigger races and he doesnt do too bad at the Fair Grounds year after year.

We will never know the true answer to her pulling the plug on a excellent career that was just starting to perk up.

We can agree to disagree on the "why" of her retirement. However, I believe(and I have to check the stats on this) that the statement that her career "was just starting to perk up" is incorrect. I think she peaked 2009/2010ish and since then, her numbers have fallen.
Relwob Owner is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-05-2012, 02:50 PM   #23
Pace Cap'n
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Posts: 2,959
Was glad he lost but I sure thought that sucker could at least clunk up in fourth.
Pace Cap'n is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-05-2012, 03:22 PM   #24
SandyLoam
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 75
Quote:
Originally Posted by ten2oneormore
I did kind of feel bad for Baffert when he was sunken into his seat having to do an interview afterward.He must have thought he was going to have at least 2-3 winners and walked away with squadoosh.
But Hi-Ho Silver Bob wasn't so dejected that he couldn't throw Bejarano under the Amtrak Super Chief to a worldwide television audience.

I have never liked Game On Dude and just before the race, I wondered, "Who's he beaten?" And he lost to Dullahan, another horse I don't like (or who's been mismanaged). If 'Dude was right, think Johnny V. or Smith would have lost this race?
SandyLoam is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-05-2012, 04:39 PM   #25
Valuist
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: NE Ohio
Posts: 16,428
I was alive to both Fort Larned and Game on Dude in the Pic 3, so yeah I was very happy how that turned out.

Let's not kid ourselves. This is a gambling driven game. We will always root for whoever we bet over any alleged stars. We overestimate the effect individual horses like Funny Cide or Zenyatta have.
Valuist is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-05-2012, 06:15 PM   #26
nijinski
Registered User
 
nijinski's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 4,322
He didn't look pumped up in the paddock that day.

No I'm not happy he lost because of a rider change and I think Baffert and the owners have every right to switch jocks . It's been done many times before and will happen again.
If CS and G.O.D. won in Dubai along with every race as a team . You might wonder.
Not the case though.
nijinski is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-05-2012, 08:52 PM   #27
Bullet Plane
Registered User
 
Bullet Plane's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 502
Glad he lost. He would have been a crap HOTY.
Bullet Plane is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-05-2012, 09:39 PM   #28
Beachbabe
Registered User
 
Beachbabe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Off the Turnpike
Posts: 2,930
I don't like his name. A combination of two over-used, not-cool-anymore words (or phrases).

Game on-----puhleeeeze !! It's surpassing "twenty-four/seven" as the trite phrase of the new millennium.

Dude----need I say more ??
Beachbabe is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-05-2012, 09:48 PM   #29
Dahoss9698
Veteran
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 8,697
Quote:
Originally Posted by racingfan378
Hernandez for sure will be getting lots more phone calls to ride in bigger races and he doesnt do too bad at the Fair Grounds year after year.
No he won't.
Dahoss9698 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-05-2012, 10:07 PM   #30
Robert Fischer
clean money
 
Robert Fischer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Maryland
Posts: 20,432
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dahoss9698
No he won't.
got to have some fun with this stuff 'Hoss
__________________
Preparation. Discipline. Patience. Decisiveness.
Robert Fischer is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Reply




Thread Tools
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

» Advertisement
» Current Polls
How do you prefer your Coffee !?
Cream and Sugar - 28.57%
30 Votes
Cream only - 20.00%
21 Votes
Black - 41.90%
44 Votes
Decaf - 9.52%
10 Votes
Espresso - 12.38%
13 Votes
Starbucks etc... - 9.52%
10 Votes
Other - 23.81%
25 Votes
Total Votes: 105
This poll is closed.
Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.3

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 01:42 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright 1999 - 2020 -- PaceAdvantage.Com -- All Rights Reserved -- Best Viewed in a modern browser @ 1280x720 Resolution Or Higher
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program
designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.