Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Racing Discussion

Old 11-05-2021, 07:31 AM   #1
Equifan

NBC & Maria Taylor

This is yet another example, IMHO, of the media-as-a-whole's lack of
good business practices -- caving to "social justice", un-equal
opportunity, etc, etc, etc.......

"Maria Taylor makes her horse racing debut as the host of the prime time show Saturday at 8 p.m. ET on NBC and Peacock."

I don't know how exactly how large a role she will have during the broadcast, but, on racing's "2nd biggest day", this ain't the time to debut live rookie talent (talent being the industry descriptive term) in a spotlight role.

If you aren't familiar with Ms. Taylor's story/background a quick Google query will lay it out.
Equifan is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-05-2021, 08:07 AM   #2
dilanesp

I never love when networks put people on racing who don't know racing, but actually, from the network's perspective, the Breeders' Cup is an utterly unimportant event that gets lousy ratings, so why not use it to give Taylor- who they paid a lot of money to lure from ESPN- more work?

We all have to understand that outside of the Derby, and the Belmont when Baffert has doped a horse correctly and the TC is on the line, our sport is totally unimportant to network TV. They can do whatever they want to us, and we have to play ball because we need them and they don't need us.
dilanesp is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-05-2021, 08:19 AM   #3
JustRalph
Just another Facist

Broadcasting execs are a dime a dozen on this board
JustRalph is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-05-2021, 11:00 AM   #4
castaway01

Quote:
Originally Posted by Equifan View Post

"Maria Taylor makes her horse racing debut as the host of the prime time show Saturday at 8 p.m. ET on NBC and Peacock."

I don't know how exactly how large a role she will have during the broadcast, but, on racing's "2nd biggest day", this ain't the time to debut live rookie talent (talent being the industry descriptive term) in a spotlight role.

If you aren't familiar with Ms. Taylor's story/background a quick Google query will lay it out.
Isn't "her story" basically another reporter's jealousy of her? What does "caving to social justice" have to do with any of it? Yes, young, attractive people get hosting jobs on TV. Shocking stuff.

Taylor works for NBC as a host and they have the broadcast rights. Sure, Tom Hammond was great but he's 77 and retired. Ahmed Fareed, Mike Tirico and Bob Costas were other recent hosts. I don't recall any of them growing up mucking stalls.
castaway01 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-05-2021, 11:10 AM   #5
jocko699
Resurrectionist

Quote:
Originally Posted by castaway01 View Post
Isn't "her story" basically another reporter's jealousy of her? What does "caving to social justice" have to do with any of it? Yes, young, attractive people get hosting jobs on TV. Shocking stuff.

Taylor works for NBC as a host and they have the broadcast rights. Sure, Tom Hammond was great but he's 77 and retired. Ahmed Fareed, Mike Tirico and Bob Costas were other recent hosts. I don't recall any of them growing up mucking stalls.
I do not understand how any horse player would watch any of the networks. I get it about the attractive people for those that just "tune in" but for me its like trying to watch an afternoon soap opera, just redundant BS.
jocko699 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-05-2021, 12:19 PM   #6
cj
@TimeformUSfigs

She's a pro, I bet she'll do a good job.
cj is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-05-2021, 12:35 PM   #7
FakeNameChanged

Quote:

Her background in horse racing is probably the equal of Bob Costas.
Old 11-05-2021, 02:07 PM   #8
Tom
The Voice of Reason!

Quote:
Originally Posted by FakeNameChanged View Post
Her background in horse racing is probably the equal of Bob Costas.
She's a horse's arse?
Old 11-05-2021, 07:52 PM   #9
horsefan2019

Quote:

Theres another option. You can watch TVG for Breeders Cup coverage. NBC is for the people who really don't watch horse racing and geared towards the general public.
horsefan2019 is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-05-2021, 11:52 PM   #10
ranchwest

Quote:
Originally Posted by horsefan2019 View Post
Theres another option. You can watch TVG for Breeders Cup coverage. NBC is for the people who really don't watch horse racing and geared towards the general public.
Not in Texas.
Old 11-05-2021, 11:53 PM   #11
BarchCapper

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranchwest View Post
Not in Texas.
Can you get RTN in Texas? The Del Mar track feed is pretty much the TVG feed from what I can tell.
BarchCapper is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-06-2021, 02:44 AM   #12
ranchwest

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarchCapper View Post
Can you get RTN in Texas? The Del Mar track feed is pretty much the TVG feed from what I can tell.
RTN (which has a fee) and TVG are both for handicappers. The racing industry is shutting out the public, the fertile ground for potential customers. If a novice wants to learn about horse racing, the industry does not want their interest. I am unable to wager over the internet because of the wishes of the race tracks in the state. What sort of public relations is this?
Old 11-06-2021, 03:23 AM   #13
Onesome

Quote:
RTN (which has a fee) and TVG are both for handicappers. The racing industry is shutting out the public, the fertile ground for potential customers. If a novice wants to learn about horse racing, the industry does not want their interest. I am unable to wager over the internet because of the wishes of the race tracks in the state. What sort of public relations is this?
You just realizing now that noone in US racing gives a f about the bettors or getting new customers? It's just one large welfare state of various groups who feel they are entitled to money.
Onesome is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-06-2021, 07:23 AM   #14
JustRalph
Just another Facist

Quote:
Not in Texas.
I’m in Texas and I watch Tvg all the time on Dish network.

I have had RTN too via ROKU

Now betting, that’s a different story
JustRalph is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-06-2021, 09:38 AM   #15
Spacenoid

What's wrong with Taylor?
Spacenoid is offline   Reply With Quote Reply

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: