Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Racing Discussion

Old 04-12-2021, 12:57 PM   #61
the little guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by cj View Post
Gotcha, that makes sense. Usually in these situations it is a rider that stops riding, so I was looking for the wrong thing.
While obviously it didn't affect Rushie's performance in the race, it's funny to see the other rider clearly joking about it with Joel as they head to the turn after the race.
the little guy is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-12-2021, 01:16 PM   #62
craigbraddick

Quote:
Originally Posted by v j stauffer View Post
Unless it's silly. Cat/Dog. I have always deferred to the wishes of the owner. I figure they're putting up the money. They should get to hear what they want.

I have had some instances where they insist on something that is just plain incorrect. ADMIRLTY. They told me it was AD-MIR-AL-ITY. I said you're missing a few letters. They said yeah, but what we were going for was ADMIRALITY. I said what you should go for is the cost to change his name.

Wesley Hawley had a horse in Saturday named TKOTCHKE. I texted him for guidance. He was nice enough to call me back and say he wanted Koch-Key. That's what I went with.

Someone on twitter ripped me. There's something new.

My wife Tina runs the press box at Oaklawn. So looks through every morning and researches any ones that might need clarification.

Sometimes I just brain fart. Like THE ROUGE DIESEL who I called THE ROGUE DIESEL my entire first year.

The other day I called ZANSHOES, ZANFORCE the entire race. ZANFORCE is a horse from Chicago.

Happens to every announcer. What I hate is when someone calls with a tricky pronunciation AFTER the race. What good is that going to do for me?

They say they're worried I'll take offense. Nothing could be further from the truth. I've prove long ago I have no vanity. I'd just like to get as many as possible right.

Some won't change even of you try to help. There used to be a horse in CA named RAPIDO. Trevor would call him RAP-E-DOUGH. I told him it was RA-PEE-DOUGH. Totally blew me off. Hey, he's Trevor.
I have checked with the owners often, especially with Quarter Horses...There is one owner who likes me to call his horse by just its middle name of three names...so I will give it it's full name in the post parade and the gate load and explain the connections have asked me to call the horse by this name.
Old 04-12-2021, 01:26 PM   #63
the little guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by SG4 View Post
I have a bone to pick with a number of announcers...in this day in age where the answer to almost everything is a click away, how can so many words etc be mispronounced? I know it's completely nitpicking, but it drives me crazy, and I imagine if you're an owner of one of these horses it's a real let down. My advice to any announcer would be just take the very small amount of time to check a pronunciation here and there. And if you could, make some friends who speak a variety of other languages who you can always double check with as well for foreign names.
Not sure who you are referring to, and obviously Grunder has never shown an interest in learning names beforehand, but I know quite a few announcers and they all are meticulous about trying to get the correct pronunciations of every horse's name. Doesn't mean you always get it right, but my experience is that they do their best.
the little guy is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-12-2021, 01:35 PM   #64
PhantomOnTour
C'est Tout

The name that always gets me is a horse named Honey Chile.
Every time I hear someone pronounce the name they say 'Chile' like the country (Chill-ay)
I always thought the word 'Chile' should be pronounced like a woman speaking to a young 'un..."Chial"

Anyone know the true pronunciation???
Old 04-12-2021, 02:04 PM   #65
JustRalph
Just another Facist

Rough room huh Vic?

Still my fav
JustRalph is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-12-2021, 02:09 PM   #66
paulbenny

CRAIG IS GOOD

I think he is very good because at first I did not get the accent but over time he is completely thorough and accurate. The Tampa fellow is retiring so lets see who replaces him. As to all of these people, it is not a very easy job.
paulbenny is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-12-2021, 02:35 PM   #67
dilanesp

Quote:
Originally Posted by thaskalos View Post
"The is moving like a tremendous machine!!"

It doesn't have much of a ring to it...does it?
FWIW, I think dog racing announcers announce that way.

There's definitely an argument for doing that over the track and internet feeds, with a separate announcer calling the names for TV.
dilanesp is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-12-2021, 03:53 PM   #68
AMPHAR

I thought Kurt Becker at Keeneland missed a prime opportunity having Ooooooooh Barracuda in a race this weekend.

I’m sure Vic would have crushed that opportunity.

I watch a lot of races and I can’t recall a singular announcer annoying me. Oh well.
AMPHAR is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-12-2021, 03:58 PM   #69
cj
@TimeformUSfigs

Quote:
Originally Posted by the little guy View Post
While obviously it didn't affect Rushie's performance in the race, it's funny to see the other rider clearly joking about it with Joel as they head to the turn after the race.
I noticed they were joking around, figured they were talking about the photo.
cj is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-12-2021, 04:04 PM   #70
cj
@TimeformUSfigs

Quote:
Not sure who you are referring to, and obviously Grunder has never shown an interest in learning names beforehand, but I know quite a few announcers and they all are meticulous about trying to get the correct pronunciations of every horse's name. Doesn't mean you always get it right, but my experience is that they do their best.
Definitely, I know Larry did it all the time and have seen Travis ask many times too. I'm sure the NYRA guys do as well. Sometimes they just don't know and it is an honest mistake. Sometimes we might think the announcer has it wrong but it is actually us.

There is a horse running in SoCal named "Airman" that Frank pronounces as "Air Man," but as an Air Force guy I'd assume it is pronounced as we did it with the emphasis on Air, like this:

But for all I know Frank called the owner and he has it right.

In this game, people should remember often times the person that did the naming doesn't own the horse any longer so it is possible even the owner doesn't know. I'm sure most announcers do the best they can.
cj is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-12-2021, 04:27 PM   #71
dilanesp

Quote:
Originally Posted by AMPHAR View Post
I thought Kurt Becker at Keeneland missed a prime opportunity having Ooooooooh Barracuda in a race this weekend.

I’m sure Vic would have crushed that opportunity.

I watch a lot of races and I can’t recall a singular announcer annoying me. Oh well.
I was at Hollywood Park when Miss American Pie won a race by 7 lengths. Vic called it straight, and I was wondering what Durkin would have done....
dilanesp is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-12-2021, 05:36 PM   #72
v j stauffer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Fischer View Post
Whover calls for Turf Paradise and Oaklawn really rustles my jimmies

I try to keep an even keel, but when I'm losing I am more apt to get annoyed.

"perfect start!?!" how @#!$% was that perfect? The speed didn't go out!!

"dazzling?" He freakin ran to par!!

"congratulations for 3 wins on the day?" SO WHATThat's not even four wins!!

When I'm winning, I try to not be the guy who makes every family member watch the replay on the laptop
I acknowledge outstanding performances just like any other sports announcer doing play by play. That's his third hit of the game. He's got 10 strikes outs. That three pointer gives him 30 points. He's a 100 yard rusher.

We'd like to make our top performers celebrities that the public roots for and admires just like any other sport.

Sorry you're losing. Perhaps we can help on Oaklawn Today. A hour and a half before each racing day.
Old 04-12-2021, 05:40 PM   #73
v j stauffer

Quote:
How can you say it didn't affect RUSHIE'S performance? Are a jockey's encouragements from the 1/8 pole to the 1/16th pole exactly the same as from the 1/16th pole to the wire? Many jockeys save a wild yell or a harder push to startle their mount in the last desperate strides. How do you know Rosario's
efforts for a maximum performance are the same?
Old 04-12-2021, 05:53 PM   #74
Spalding No!

Quote:
Originally Posted by v j stauffer View Post
How can you say it didn't affect RUSHIE'S performance? Are a jockey's encouragements from the 1/8 pole to the 1/16th pole exactly the same as from the 1/16th pole to the wire? Many jockeys save a wild yell or a harder push to startle their mount in the last desperate strides. How do you know Rosario's
efforts for a maximum performance are the same?
Somehow I don't think the plan was to blow a 2-length lead and then re-rally the last 1/16th...
Spalding No! is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-12-2021, 06:19 PM   #75
AMPHAR

Quote:
Originally Posted by dilanesp View Post
I was at Hollywood Park when Miss American Pie won a race by 7 lengths. Vic called it straight, and I was wondering what Durkin would have done....
Yeah you got to hit those out of the park when you get them.
AMPHAR is offline   Reply With Quote Reply

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: