Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Handicapping Discussion

Old 09-15-2018, 11:31 AM   #1
Tom
The Voice of Reason!

Horse Weights

Gulfstream now tracking, posting horse weights
By Mary Rampellini
https://www.drf.com/news/gulfstream-...-horse-weights

Quote:
Gulfstream Park has been posting the weights of starters in each of his races this meet. The horses are weighed on a scale located in the paddock area by racing official George Berry, who then sends the numbers to the graphics department to be posted alongside the odds for the upcoming race. The practice started during the championship meet, but on a limited basis, said Chris Camac, racing secretary at Gulfstream.
Today's first race, the weights for each horse as weighed at GP this morning.

:22.3
Old 09-15-2018, 11:35 AM   #2
Onion Monster

Don't worry, CJ will weigh them by video replay.
Old 09-15-2018, 12:48 PM   #3
bobphilo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom View Post
Gulfstream now tracking, posting horse weights
By Mary Rampellini
https://www.drf.com/news/gulfstream-...-horse-weights

Today's first race, the weights for each horse as weighed at GP this morning.

:22.3
#3 weighs 2651 lb.s and #5 175 #6 :22.3? What are a Clydesdale a Great Dane and a clock doing in a Thoroughbred horse race?

Last edited by bobphilo; 09-15-2018 at 12:54 PM.
bobphilo is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-15-2018, 03:51 PM   #4
Cratos

Horse Race Weight Calculation

You can set up a reusable matrix in an Excel spreadsheet and calculate each horse’s race weight quickly in each race with the following formula:

(Net Force/Acceleration) * gravity (9.81) *2.205-the Assigned Weight = Horse Body Weight during the race

Example:

Justify’s Ky Derby Body Weight

= (1.712049/.02682) *9.81*2.205 = (1,381.8 -126) = 1,255.8 Lbs

The horse’s race body weight will always be less than the before racing scaled body weight because the horse will always lose weight during the race due to the resistance forces it confronted during race. This race weight loss is because of energy expenditure which is velocity and distance dependent.

"Science is correct; even if you don't believe it" - Neil deGrasse Tyson
Cratos is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-15-2018, 05:22 PM   #5
thaskalos

Racing official George Berry obviously deserves a raise in pay, for taking his horse-weighing responsibilities so seriously.
Old 09-16-2018, 04:56 PM   #6
elhelmete

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cratos View Post
You can set up a reusable matrix in an Excel spreadsheet and calculate each horse’s race weight quickly in each race with the following formula:

(Net Force/Acceleration) * gravity (9.81) *2.205-the Assigned Weight = Horse Body Weight during the race

Example:

The horse’s race body weight will always be less than the before racing scaled body weight because the horse will always lose weight during the race due to the resistance forces it confronted during race. This race weight loss is because of energy expenditure which is velocity and distance dependent.
Or use a scale.
elhelmete is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-16-2018, 09:28 PM   #7
sammy the sage

Yawn...wake me up when they post the weight for the PREVIOUS race as well...in THE form or Bris or TF or equabase....means nothing WITHOUT context...then of course it means a lot....guess those enterprising enough can start charting and keeping records...but for people who don't play gulfstream every day...still sucks...

Thask is right tho...it IS a start....
Old 09-17-2018, 01:24 AM   #8
Cratos

We ran the weights for all the horses which competed in the just concluded races at Saratoga (approximately 395 races excluding the hurdles) during the meet quickly and with ease. In my opinion, the greatest benefit was realized in non-stake races.

Old 09-17-2018, 07:27 AM   #9
sammy the sage

Quote:
We ran the weights for all the horses which competed in the just concluded races at Saratoga (approximately 395 races excluding the hurdles) during the meet quickly and with ease. In my opinion, the greatest benefit was realized in non-stake races.
how did ya'll get the weights...???....and were they available before the races?

Last edited by sammy the sage; 09-17-2018 at 07:31 AM.
sammy the sage is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-17-2018, 07:33 AM   #10
ikeika

Cratos, are these values constants or are they derived.

(1.712049/.02682) *9.81*2.205
ikeika is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-17-2018, 01:01 PM   #11
Cratos

They were all made before and after each race each day; my post (#4 of this thread) explains the science in a formula. This is done in most industries that require an evaluation of force and motion.

Is there merit to having the horse’s weight?

Yes, there is; the calculation of the horse’s energy = 1/2M*V^2 and can easily be calculated.

Also, the horse’s power and velocity can use the conversion of weight to mass in those calculations.

Old 09-17-2018, 01:07 PM   #12
Cratos

They are both; net force and acceleration are calculated (derived) and 9.81 is the constant value of the gravity force and 2.205 is the constant value of pounds to kilograms.

Old 09-17-2018, 08:49 PM   #13
sammy the sage

So...Cratos gonna ignore the question how he got those horse weights....hhhmmm....that begs a BIGGER question then...

How do the rest of the average handicapper's out there feel about NYRA giving a select few access to something that obviously helps those who gets said info...whether paid for or not...????

I would pay for it if I could get it in advance...but haven't seen that available...yet Cratos is saying his group got that info...
Old 09-17-2018, 09:56 PM   #14
garyscpa

Quote:

Example:

Who cares how fast the horse ran?
garyscpa is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-17-2018, 10:03 PM   #15
dansan

DRF

Hope the DRF does'nt increase the fee for that valuable information
dansan is offline   Reply With Quote Reply

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: