Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Off Topic > Off Topic - Sports

Old 04-25-2019, 06:01 PM   #91
lansdale

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff P View Post
Imo, there were several times in game 2 when Bogut looked completely gassed/out of breath (compared to the other players) after running up and down the floor at speed. Based on that, I have doubts about the number of quality minutes he can give them.

Imo, KD appears different (so far) in this series than what I'm used to seeing. Haven't seen that many times where he gets the ball in a half court offense and creates his own shot off the dribble and shoots a three. One of three from behind the arc (so far) in this series. Not sure if that's a result of Beverley's defense or if he's being used differently (or both.)

Game 3 tonight in LA. (Should be interesting.)

-jp

Last night's game further evidence that GSW is declining somewhat. Bench only had 17 pts. -- team looking old and tired. Kerr playing a shortened rotation appears to be taking it out of the starters, but he may not have a choice.
lansdale is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-27-2019, 02:22 PM   #92
Jeff P

Location: JCapper Platinum: Kind of like Deep Blue... but for horses.
Patrick Beverley, Lou Williams honestly explain why guarding Kevin Durant was impossible:
https://ftw.usatoday.com/2019/04/kev...y-lou-williams

Quote:
Williams: Like sometimes, you come across special people and it doesn’t matter what you send to them. There’s no scheme. There’s no defense, there’s no nothing that you can do with special people. He’s one of them. And he showed it tonight. He put them guys on his shoulders.

And even the game he came out, he was, like, “I’m Kevin Durant. Y’all know who I am.” That’s like a bold statement to make when you’re about to go see some guys that’s extremely competitive. And he came out that game, and he said, “I can really shoot over these guys,” and he did it. So it wasn’t lack of effort on our part.

He’s an all-world professional, and he proved himself. He proved exactly who people think he is, who he think he is himself, and he did it. And you tip your hat off to a guy like that.

Really enjoyed the comments made by Patrick Beverley and Lou Williams after game 6 last night.

Watch (listen) to the video. Tone doesn't come across the same way if you merely read the article.

-jp

Last edited by Jeff P; 04-27-2019 at 02:29 PM.
Jeff P is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-30-2019, 03:34 PM   #93
lansdale

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff P View Post
Patrick Beverley, Lou Williams honestly explain why guarding Kevin Durant was impossible:
https://ftw.usatoday.com/2019/04/kev...y-lou-williams

Really enjoyed the comments made by Patrick Beverley and Lou Williams after game 6 last night.

Watch (listen) to the video. Tone doesn't come across the same way if you merely read the article.

-jp

Whatever problems Durant was having w/Beverly in that one game, it's clear he solved them quickly enough to carry them through that series, as he may have to throughout the post-season. Difficult even for opponents not to be in awe of his shot-making ability -- maybe only MJ his equal in hitting impossible-looking shots.

GSW was luckly to escape with the win in Game 1 -- everyone except Durant looks slow.
Old 04-30-2019, 04:46 PM   #94
lamboguy

everyone wrote off Milwaukee Bucks after losing game 1, i say they make amends tonight, lay the 7!
lamboguy is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-30-2019, 11:11 PM   #95
reckless
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by lamboguy View Post
everyone wrote off Milwaukee Bucks after losing game 1, i say they make amends tonight, lay the 7!
Good call lambo.

Had similar thoughts the other day and took the 76ers in Game 2 after their horrible first game.
reckless is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-02-2019, 11:24 PM   #96
Valuist

Is there a better player in the NBA right now than Kevin Durant?
Valuist is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-03-2019, 11:36 AM   #97
cj
@TimeformUSfigs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valuist View Post
Is there a better player in the NBA right now than Kevin Durant?
He's been the best for a few years. He just doesn't have to show it often since he teamed up with a bunch of future hall of famers.
cj is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-03-2019, 12:26 PM   #98
Jeff P

The OKC Thunder made an appearance in the 2012 NBA Finals and lost to the Miami Heat.

Miami had Lebron James, D Wade, and Chris Bosh.

OKC had Kevin Durant, Russell Westbrook, and James Harden.

Every now and then I find myself wondering how many championships OKC might have won had they been able to keep that core group together.

-jp

Old 05-04-2019, 12:20 AM   #99
lansdale

Even though I believe Durant is one of the top 15 all time players, I think Giannis is at least equal, and pehaps a shade better at this point. If Curry were 100%, which he doesn't seem to be at the moment, I'd put him at the same level. cj mentioned how much easier things are for him in GSW than OKC -- the defensive pressure is much reduced -- no more double and triple teams -- when two of the greatest 3-pt. shooters who ever played are on the floor with you.

Seems like a good chance we'll be seeing Durant vs. Giannis in the Finals -- should reveal something.
Old 05-04-2019, 02:41 PM   #100
cj
@TimeformUSfigs

Quote:
Originally Posted by lansdale View Post
Even though I believe Durant is one of the top 15 all time players, I think Giannis is at least equal, and pehaps a shade better at this point. If Curry were 100%, which he doesn't seem to be at the moment, I'd put him at the same level. cj mentioned how much easier things are for him in GSW than OKC -- the defensive pressure is much reduced -- no more double and triple teams -- when two of the greatest 3-pt. shooters who ever played are on the floor with you.

Seems like a good chance we'll be seeing Durant vs. Giannis in the Finals -- should reveal something.
Giannis could get there in my opinion but he isn't near the shooter KD is and that is a huge part of the game right now. Threes dominate the game and Giannis doesn't shoot them well. Eventually I think he'll pass KD.

Pop was lamenting how these days you can throw all the stats out the window. Just look at he box score and see who made the most threes and that is usually the winner. He was exaggerating, but he isn't far from the truth.
Old 05-05-2019, 09:20 PM   #101
lansdale

Quote:
Originally Posted by cj View Post
Giannis could get there in my opinion but he isn't near the shooter KD is and that is a huge part of the game right now. Threes dominate the game and Giannis doesn't shoot them well. Eventually I think he'll pass KD.

Pop was lamenting how these days you can throw all the stats out the window. Just look at he box score and see who made the most threes and that is usually the winner. He was exaggerating, but he isn't far from the truth.
I wasn't really thinking in terms of total career, but just this year and right now, assuming that these two possibly meet in the Finals. Agree that the 3-pt. shot is now crucial to winning in the NBA, but you know as well as a do that there now a number of better 3-shooters in the league than KD, none of whom have a snowball's chance in hell of going to the HOF, where he's surely headed -- and a few of them, Forbes, Belinelli, and Bertans play for Pop. The Spurs had the best team 3-shooting in the league this year and they're on vacation.

The reason KD is going to the HOF is his all-around game: not only can he shoot the 3, he's probably the best slasher in the game, can make ungodly shots from any place on the court, is a good passer, has decent handles for a big man, and is a very good defender. GA is a very different type of player -- more on the order of LBJ or even Shaq, in using muscle around the hoop to score -- but not only doesn't he have a three, he has almost no outside game. If you look at his numbers for this year, 27/13/6/2 -- pretty incredible. He's either LBJ with much better rebounding, or Shaq with better passing. Also a very good defender.

Comparing their overall performance stats for this year:
PER: GA-30.9/KD-24.2
WS 48: GA .292/KD .204

To put GA's stats in perspective -- this is the 12th highest PER ever recorded -- the only people above him are MJ, Wilt, LBJ, and Curry. His WS 48 is only a shade below where KD and Curry were in their prime. However, I'm well aware that KD's stats are reduced due to playing fewer games and minutes than during his OKC days. So now we're seeing max KD -- he's pumping up the volume for the playoffs because GSW needs him big time. All these variables can be tricky, making evaluation of these two more difficult. For now, I can't separate them -- maybe after the season is over, I'll have a different perspective.

Last edited by lansdale; 05-05-2019 at 09:32 PM.
Old 05-07-2019, 05:59 PM   #102
Valuist

I'm playing one prop tonight: Embiid Under 11 1/2 boards (-125).

He is listed as probable, but still not well enough to attend the shootaround this morning. On the road, clearly not 100%, I think it will impact him a bit defensively, especially on the boards. He probably will still get his points.
Old 05-07-2019, 06:01 PM   #103
Valuist

Quote:
Originally Posted by cj View Post

Agreed Giannis has to improve his shot. Where would Lebron rank right now? Is he even top 3 or 4? I'd put Kawhi above him now.
Old 05-08-2019, 09:53 AM   #104
cj
@TimeformUSfigs

Quote:
Agreed Giannis has to improve his shot. Where would Lebron rank right now? Is he even top 3 or 4? I'd put Kawhi above him now.
Not the one we saw this year, and he isn't getting any younger.
Old 05-08-2019, 01:25 PM   #105
Jeff P

Quote:
I'm playing one prop tonight: Embiid Under 11 1/2 boards (-125).

He is listed as probable, but still not well enough to attend the shootaround this morning. On the road, clearly not 100%, I think it will impact him a bit defensively, especially on the boards. He probably will still get his points.

I realize he's been sick but good call.

6 boards (8 turnovers.)

-jp