Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Racing Discussion

Old 02-23-2015, 04:30 PM   #1
RacingFan1992

Can you buy Lifetime Boxseats?

I have never gone to a racetrack and I want to start. Can you buy box seats at a racetrack that you can keep for as long as you live. I am not sure how these things work out. Is it that you can reserve it for the day or how do these things work? Also I am looking for a nice track to go to for my "maiden visit" at the races. I live in Michigan and the closest track to me is Hazel Park in Detroit. Any suggestions on where I should go. I am looking for quality racing as well as the atmosphere. I don't want to go to some seedy place that I will have to worry about being robbed or something. Let me know what you think as well as your experiences. Your going to hate me for this but I don't gamble. I just like watching the races.
RacingFan1992 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-23-2015, 05:30 PM   #2
therussmeister
Out-of-town Jasper

Probably the nearest "nice track" to you is Arlington Park near Chicago.

~Alan Watts
therussmeister is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-23-2015, 05:53 PM   #3
Stillriledup
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by RacingFan1992
I have never gone to a racetrack and I want to start. Can you buy box seats at a racetrack that you can keep for as long as THEY live. I am not sure how these things work out. Is it that you can reserve it for the day or how do these things work? Also I am looking for a nice track to go to for my "maiden visit" at the races. I live in Michigan and the closest track to me is Hazel Park in Detroit. Any suggestions on where I should go. I am looking for quality racing as well as the atmosphere. I don't want to go to some seedy place that I will have to worry about being robbed or something. Let me know what you think as well as your experiences. Your going to hate me for this but I don't gamble. I just like watching the races.
Fixed that for you. (altered your second sentence)
Stillriledup is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-23-2015, 05:53 PM   #4
proximity

Quote:
Can you buy box seats at a racetrack that you can keep for as long as you live.....
with a 1992 birthday there is almost 100% chance you'll outlive any michigan track, so even if you could buy such a pass it wouldn't be worth it. and if you're not gambling you don't need to be carrying much cash, so why worry about being robbed??
proximity is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-23-2015, 08:23 PM   #5
elhelmete

Quote:
Originally Posted by therussmeister
Probably the nearest "nice track" to you is Arlington Park near Chicago.
Agreed.

I had a very very nice day (except at the windows) at Arlington this past summer.

But I encourage you to stop by Hazel Park as well. Just for your overall edification I think it's good to see both ends of the spectrum.

Oh crap, forgot to mention Woodbine too. I've never been, but my dad said it's some of the best on-site customer service he's had. Then again, his baseline track was Suffolk.

Last edited by elhelmete; 02-23-2015 at 08:25 PM.
elhelmete is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-23-2015, 08:41 PM   #6
JustRalph
Just another Facist

Keeneland is right across the street from the Airport in Lexington. Start with one of the best.
Old 02-23-2015, 08:41 PM   #7
RacingFan1992

Was Hazel park really that bad?
Old 02-23-2015, 08:44 PM   #8
taxicab

Quote:
Also I am looking for a nice track to go to for my "maiden visit" at the races.
Another vote for Arlington.....
taxicab is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-23-2015, 08:49 PM   #9
Grits

Your chance of aquiring/buying a box at Keeneland?

You would have a better chance purchasing one on Mars. Old Kentucky money doesn't give up assets. Not at Keeneland. Not at Churchill.
Grits is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-23-2015, 09:40 PM   #10
RacingFan1992

Quote:
Originally Posted by taxicab
Another vote for Arlington.....
If I could I would go to Arlington in either the 1940's or 1980's. Either way I will get to see a legend. I know Lincoln Fields is a trotter track now but I would love to see where Whirlaway got his start. I always liked Arlington cause of the history of Ben and Jimmy Jones. If I ever go I will take tons of pictures. I want to go on the day of the Washington/Arlington Futurity.
Old 02-23-2015, 10:40 PM   #11
taxicab

Quote:
If I could I would go to Arlington in either the 1940's or 1980's. Either way I will get to see a legend. I know Lincoln Fields is a trotter track now but I would love to see where Whirlaway got his start. I always liked Arlington cause of the history of Ben and Jimmy Jones. If I ever go I will take tons of pictures. I want to go on the day of the Washington/Arlington Futurity.
http://www.arlingtonpark.com/videos/previous-millions
taxicab is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-23-2015, 10:59 PM   #12
RacingFan1992

Quote:
Originally Posted by taxicab
And here they come spinning out of the turn.

Will never tire of hearing Phil G's calls.
Old 02-23-2015, 11:48 PM   #13
Appy

Not exactly sure what your idea of a quality fan experience is, but if you're going just for the sake of racing I would urge you to include a visit to one of the smaller tracks.
Sure, at the smaller tracks there will be fewer fans and perks, but you can usually get up close and personal for saddling at the paddock area, then perhaps even stand with your hands on the rail at the finish line. Nothing like being right at the edge of the track where you hear the horses sucking air, see their muscles and veins bulging with effort, feel the earth shake from pounding hooves, jocks yelling...
Old 02-23-2015, 11:52 PM   #14
RacingFan1992

Quote:
Originally Posted by Appy
Not exactly sure what your idea of a quality fan experience is, but if you're going just for the sake of racing I would urge you to include a visit to one of the smaller tracks.
Sure, at the smaller tracks there will be fewer fans and perks, but you can usually get up close and personal for saddling at the paddock area, then perhaps even stand with your hands on the rail at the finish line. Nothing like being right at the edge of the track where you hear the horses sucking air, see their muscles and veins bulging with effort, feel the earth shake from pounding hooves, jocks yelling...
That right there is what I want. To hell with the box seats, I am going to go stand ankle deep in ripped up tickets and garbage down at the rail.
Old 02-24-2015, 08:33 AM   #15
Stoleitbreezing

Having grown up in IL and visited most of the IL tracks I can tell you without a doubt the best experience is Arlington Park.

Arlington is going to give you the best quality of racing, best facilities, and customer service. They genuinely care about the fan "experience". Having visited as a fan and a horse owner its top notch both ways. The workers there have always been courteous and accommodating. I would recommend going to Arlington Million day this summer if you can. I've seen the last two editions and its always a blast.
Stoleitbreezing is offline   Reply With Quote Reply