Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > Advance Deposit Wagering (ADW)

Old 07-01-2019, 02:27 PM   #1
Robert Fischer
clean money

Question hey guys Q? on wagering machine "sam machine?"

How much do they cost the track to install?

What is there official name, manufacturer?

thanks guys
Old 07-03-2019, 08:23 PM   #2
AlsoEligible

These terminals are manufactured by the tote provider for a given racetrack (AmTote, United Tote, or Sportech). Some of the internal components (printer, ticket reader, touch screen) are bought from third parties, but most of the machine is manufactured and assembled in-house by the tote company themselves.

You can look on their websites at their product lines to see the "official" name/models, but on-track they'll be referred to as SAM (self-automated machine), SST (self-service terminal), or simply a "Self Serve" or "Unattended" machines.

As for costs, I don't know what each tote company spends to assemble a machine. But they're typically leased to the tracks for either a flat rate of $X per day, or a percent of handle through the machine (usually with a minimum fee attached).
AlsoEligible is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-05-2019, 05:27 PM   #3
Robert Fischer
clean money

Thank you.

I'm thinking of bringing a bringing a mutuel teller (service) to horseplayers. Phone, web-chat, in person if necessary.
Providing a tote (rental) to certain customers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlsoEligible View Post
These terminals are manufactured by the tote provider for a given racetrack (AmTote, United Tote, or Sportech). Some of the internal components (printer, ticket reader, touch screen) are bought from third parties, but most of the machine is manufactured and assembled in-house by the tote company themselves.

You can look on their websites at their product lines to see the "official" name/models, but on-track they'll be referred to as SAM (self-automated machine), SST (self-service terminal), or simply a "Self Serve" or "Unattended" machines.

As for costs, I don't know what each tote company spends to assemble a machine. But they're typically leased to the tracks for either a flat rate of $X per day, or a percent of handle through the machine (usually with a minimum fee attached).
Old 07-15-2019, 09:35 AM   #4
Gorrex

Not saying its impossible, but I think you are going to run into far more expenses and headaches than you can imagine..

Last I knew terminals were running around $200/week/unit rental. Purchase rates were upwards of $5,000 per unit.

You also need specialty networking gear for most of them. $5k+ per location
In many cases RCN contract to connect to their networks.
Legally may need RCN contract to show races in some locations (weird state rules) to physically accept wagers.
You may need OTB licenses for each patrons house depending on the state..
You likely will not get track contracts to offer content or may be upwards of 60% of takeout fee if you do.
If your offering web/phone you may need multiple state licenses, financial and background audits.
You will need custom settlement and accounting software or pay a 3rd party.
You may need to pay various states Source Market Fees.

I guess my biggest question..

Is it just the simplicity of the SAM/SST machine your looking for on an ADW?

I will agree I don't think anyone has done that well (including us) yet.

If your looking for the speed edge.. that we have done as well as possible. It isn't as good as sitting at the track on old serial connected terminals but its as good as any newer tote machine sitting at your house would be.

Jason Martin
IT Director
AmWest Entertainment - AmWager
Gorrex is offline   Reply With Quote Reply

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: