Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Off Topic > Off Topic - General

Old 04-19-2011, 07:54 AM   #1
andymays
Veteran

U.S. Gov't Agency Plans $2.84 Billion Loan for Oil Refinery—In Colombia

http://www.cnsnews.com/news/article/...n-oil-refinery

Excerpt:

The U.S. Export-Import Bank, an independent agency of the federal government, is now planning a $2.84-billion loan for a massive project to expand and upgrade an oil refinery--in Cartagena, Colombia.

The money would go to Reficar, a wholly owned subsidiary of Ecopetrol, the Colombian national oil company.

Excerpt:

Also according to NPRA, the last time a new oil refinery was built in the United States was 1993, when a small facility was built in Valdez, Alaska. The last time a new large oil refinery was built in the United States was 1976, says NPRA. Older U.S. refineries, however, have been upgraded and expanded in recent years.

http://www.cnsnews.com/news/article/...n-oil-refinery
andymays is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-19-2011, 09:43 AM   #2
prospector

this after spending billions in brazil..
HEY obama..how 'bout spending some money here..
Old 04-19-2011, 11:18 AM   #3
mostpost

First some definitions from Dictionary.com
Spend: to pay out, disburse, or expend; dispose of (money, wealth, resources, etc.):

Loan: something lent or furnished on condition of being returned, especially a sum of money lent at interest:

Prospector, we are not spending, we are loaning. Read the definition again. The money will be repaid with interest.

You guys have the memory of a marshmallow and the cognitive powers of a grape. Obama did not give money to Columbia, just as he did not give money to Brazil. The Import-Export bank is an independent agency. Look up independent in the dictionary. Then look up Import-Export Bank and read its mission. It loans money to entities in foreign countries. That money must be used to buy products and services from American companies.

This particular loan will result in the creation of 15,000 jobs in the United States for a period of at least four years. That is in the CNS article. And the money will be repaid with interest. That means we create jobs and make a profit. From my previous reading, I recall that the default rate on these loans is extremely low.

This is twice now that I have debunked similar stories on this matter. Yet I am supremely confidant that if a third story should arise, the mentally challenged on this board will once again rise in righteous indignation over an imagined wrong. It makes one tired.
Old 04-19-2011, 11:46 AM   #4
Tom
The Voice of Reason!

Loan it here.
Old 04-19-2011, 12:54 PM   #5
mostpost

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom
Loan it here.
The Export-Import Bank is prohibited by law from competing with private sector banks on domestic loans. The money the EIB loans is not taxpayer funded. It is a bank. It receives its funding from interest and fees and investments.
Old 04-19-2011, 01:14 PM   #6
prospector

Quote:
Originally Posted by mostpost

Loan: something lent or furnished on condition of being returned, especially a sum of money lent at interest:

Prospector, we are not spending, we are loaning. Read the definition again. The money will be repaid with interest.

This is twice now that I have debunked similar stories on this matter. Yet I am supremely confidant that if a third story should arise, the mentally challenged on this board will once again rise in righteous indignation over an imagined wrong. It makes one tired.
you should be tired..carrying obama water ..wow, who's mentally challenged?
we "loaned" to general motors...just heard today we may never see all of it come back..its like the stimulus..loans to keep union people working..
grab another pail..up the hill
Old 04-19-2011, 01:37 PM   #7
Tom
The Voice of Reason!

Quote:
The Export-Import Bank is prohibited by law from competing with private sector banks on domestic loans.
Then don't loan it at all.
Old 04-19-2011, 02:17 PM   #8
HUSKER55

when does this loan get repaid and how much interest?

No Balls.......No baby!

Have you ever noticed that those who do not have a pot to piss in nor a window to throw it out of always seem to know how to handle the money of those who do.
HUSKER55 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-19-2011, 04:25 PM   #9
mostpost

Quote:
Originally Posted by prospector
you should be tired..carrying obama water ..wow, who's mentally challenged?
we "loaned" to general motors...just heard today we may never see all of it come back..its like the stimulus..loans to keep union people working..
grab another pail..up the hill
General Motors has already paid back all the money we loaned it with interest.
What you are referring to is the GM stock that the government bought. It is unknown if the government will be able to sell that stock at a profit. It is also unknown if they won't be able to do so.

What is with this phobia you people have about unions. Union workers have every much of a right to a job as anyone else. Your constant attempts to make union workers second class citizens is disgusting. We will not allow you to succeed.

And Obama has nothing to do with this. If you had even the tiniest amount of knowledge, you would know that the EIB is an independent agency. You would know that the majority of the EIB board was appointed by George W. Bush. They are the one's who approved this loan and the Brazil loan. God forbid that by doing so they might give a union worker a job. Who is mentally challenged? You.
Old 04-19-2011, 04:27 PM   #10
bigmack

Quote:
The Export-Import Bank is prohibited by law from competing with private sector banks on domestic loans. The money the EIB loans is not taxpayer funded. It is a bank. It receives its funding from interest and fees and investments.
They seem as well run as any other Government, flunky outfit:
Quote:
In 2007, WFAA-TV in Dallas revealed that the Ex-Im Bank had given at least $243 million in fraudulent loans to companies doing business with Mexico, including giving loans to companies with no verifiable address and individuals who were known associates of the Sinaloa and Juarez drug trafficking cartels.
Quote:
...Our review of the facts of more than 100 claims submitted to Ex-Im Bank since 2002 that have been proven, or appeared, to involve fraud indicate that the responsible parties (generally exporters and foreign buyer/borrowers) succeeded in misleading the direct lender, and thereby defrauding the Bank as the direct lender’s guarantor or insurer, by misrepresenting one or both of the following key elements
Quote:
The bank has long expanded beyond its initial mission of aiding American exporters when times were tough. And a growing chorus of critics -- from free traders on the right to trade unionists on the left -- say the bank has become a tool for an elite group of politically well-connected corporations to get sweetheart deals and cheap financing courtesy of American taxpayers.

In fact, Export-Import policies in recent years have had the perverse effect of sending American jobs, rather than goods and services, overseas. There was, for example, the case of a Chinese steel mill, the Benxi Iron and Steel Group, that received an $18 million Export-Import backed loan in December 2000 to buy American-made equipment only to be found a year later to be dumping steel into American markets and slapped with a 90 percent antidumping tariff. In that year, steel companies in the United States laid off 30,000 workers and more than 20 of the companies filed for bankruptcy.
Quote:
'In administration after administration, Export-Import was always on the top of the list to get cut,'' said Mr. Moore at Cato. But he added that such efforts ''have never succeeded because of the full-court lobbying blitz by Fortune 500 companies.''
http://www.nytimes.com/2002/09/01/bu...od.html?src=pm
bigmack is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-19-2011, 04:30 PM   #11
prospector

mosty...i'm gonna do you a favor
i'd be willing to compare parchments with you any day..or worse for you, job history..
but some people never learn..i count you as one of those..doesn't mean you're not a good person..just not worth the time to argue with no realization of success..
you carry your pail, i'll pay someone to carry mine..
Old 04-19-2011, 04:35 PM   #12
bigmack

Quote:
General Motors has already paid back all the money we loaned it with interest.
Are you willing to stand behind yet another in a long line of blundering statements?
Old 04-19-2011, 05:00 PM   #13
mostpost

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigmack
Are you willing to stand behind yet another in a long line of blundering statements?
All the money it was loaned. Which was $6.7B. Don't confuse the loan(S) with the money it got by selling stock to the government. I do not claim the government has gotten that money back. Yet. I thought that was clear in my original.
http://www.politifact.com/truth-o-me...nt-loans-full/
Old 04-19-2011, 05:10 PM   #14
bigmack

Quote:
Yet. I thought that was clear in my original.
Yeah, it was quite clear you were trying to paint them as "good guys."

You continue to show egregious dishonesty splitting hairs when handy and leaving gaping holes when not.

Let's look at the whole picture:

Old 04-19-2011, 05:15 PM   #15
mostpost

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigmack
They seem as well run as any other Government, flunky outfit:

http://www.nytimes.com/2002/09/01/bu...od.html?src=pm

There have been several prosecutions involving fraud aimed at EIB. Apparently you think that if I was walking down the street and somebody waved a gun in my face and stole the $3.85 I always keep for emergencies, then I should go to jail. The criminal is responsible for the crime, not the victim.

Let me add that I read in several places that EIB uses money it has earned in interest on previous loans to make new loans. I have since read that it uses taxpayer funds. Don't know which is true or if both or neither are.