Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Off Topic > Off Topic - General

Old 02-22-2019, 11:41 AM   #31
reckless
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clocker View Post
That would be the American consumer.

What did I win?
From the above post six months later ... despite the 'expertise' the American consumer has actually 'survived' and prospered from real growth in the US economy, thank you -- and, thanks to Trump's trade and economic policy.

Of course, let's not forget to mention the continued rise in the stock market, over 26,000 as I type this; the creation of millions of jobs and the optimism that could continue for years.

As for the now ... I am sure the Trump haters and smarty pants will find anything to Sunday to say Trump will lose in these Chinese negotiations. Doesn't matter how this finalizes -- Trump will get his lunch eaten and all his supporters are fools, according to them.

Except both aren't true since we know who the real fools are while Trump and America are dealing from both strength and common sense, which many on here lack, despite their insults.
reckless is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-22-2019, 03:34 PM   #32
Clocker

Quote:
Originally Posted by reckless View Post
From the above post six months later ... despite the 'expertise' the American consumer has actually 'survived' and prospered from real growth in the US economy, thank you -- and, thanks to Trump's trade and economic policy.
Perhaps because six months later Trump still hasn't imposed the threatened tariffs on China?

Quote:
Following a closed door meeting with reporters with Vice Premier Liu He at his side, Trump confirmed that he and Xi would likely meet in the near future to hammer out the final details of the deal, and that maybe they would strike a deal...and maybe not.

Earlier, CNBC reported that Trump and President Xi have been in talks to hold a summit next month at Mar-a-Lago, which would suggest that the March 1 deadline for the US to hike tariffs on $200 billion in Chinese goods might be extended (though that's hardly a guarantee). This after the administration insisted after the trade truce had been struck that March 1 would be a "hard" deadline.
https://www.zerohedge.com/news/2019-...-deal-progress

P.S. Trump did impose tariffs on Canadian lumber, resulting in a price increase of $9000 on the average new home in this country.
Old 02-22-2019, 04:10 PM   #33
reckless
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clocker View Post
P.S. Trump did impose tariffs on Canadian lumber, resulting in a price increase of $9000 on the average new home in this country.
Well my house value has jumped about $80,000 since Trump took office. In another year or two I may even sell, something I hadn't planned for 5 or more years.

The new homes in this area have also been selling quite quickly as well for rich prices but I do not keep tabs too closely since I'm not in that market.

So to say Trump's tariffs has hurt the house-buyer and consumer, well, pick another straw man. The housing market in many select areas is doing well.

I supplied a link many weeks ago about the Treasury coffers growing yuuuuge thanks to the tariffs. You did not comment on that nor questioned it then. Now, you say something differently.

I read both breitbart and at times zerohedge. I'd prefer breitbart to zerohedge which seems loaded with short sellers and SHTF type writers and readers. I do question many of the writers' objectives at zerohedge. Zerohedge is now just slightly better than the pump and dump stock web sites we've come accustomed to since the 'net exploded.
reckless is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-22-2019, 06:40 PM   #34
Clocker

Quote:
Originally Posted by reckless View Post

I supplied a link many weeks ago about the Treasury coffers growing yuuuuge thanks to the tariffs. You did not comment on that nor questioned it then. Now, you say something differently.

I read both breitbart and at times zerohedge. I'd prefer breitbart to zerohedge which seems loaded with short sellers and SHTF type writers and readers. I do question many of the writers' objectives at zerohedge. Zerohedge is now just slightly better than the pump and dump stock web sites we've come accustomed to since the 'net exploded.

I don't remember seeing that post. I may have been distracted by something trivial, like reading past performances. The Treasury may be doing okay, but remember that money ultimately comes from US consumers.

I read Breitbart, Zerohedge, and many other sites to get different views of the news. Breitbart is more of a newsy place, Zerohedge is more opinion. A lot of Zerohedge stuff comes from other sites. Just because one of the current articles comes from SHTFplan.com, you accuse them of SHTF articles?

https://www.zerohedge.com/news/2019-...-national-debt

P.S. That article reports on the current views of Peter Schiff, certainly not a light-weight.
Old 02-22-2019, 09:40 PM   #35
elysiantraveller

This makes extension what...? 4 or 5 now?

Trump says he's inclined to extend China trade deadline and meet Xi soon

Apparently there is now an agreement on currency manipulation but to anyone who understands economics that doesn't really make any sense. Manipulating the currency is how you can offset turbulence in trade... it doesn't make any sense to even bring this up right now...
Old 02-22-2019, 10:34 PM   #36
Clocker

Quote:
Originally Posted by elysiantraveller View Post
This makes extension what...? 4 or 5 now?
Everyone wins in an extension, just claim to be winning.

Quote:

Apparently there is now an agreement on currency manipulation but to anyone who understands economics that doesn't really make any sense. Manipulating the currency is how you can offset turbulence in trade... it doesn't make any sense to even bring this up right now...
Everyone wins on issues no one understands, including the participants. Just becloud the issue and claim to be winning.
Old 03-06-2019, 10:46 AM   #37
elysiantraveller

Trade deficit rises to 10-year high under Trump

Largest trade deficit since the housing collapse and great recession...

Spin away Trumpists...

How is it we can have the largest Trade Deficit evah and the bigliest economy evah...?

Methinks someone has no clue what he's talking about.
Old 03-06-2019, 05:13 PM   #38
woodtoo

Quote:
Originally Posted by elysiantraveller View Post
Trade deficit rises to 10-year high under Trump

Methinks someone has no clue what he's talking about.
You are correct.
Old 03-06-2019, 07:34 PM   #39
elysiantraveller

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodtoo View Post
You are correct.
Clever...

How is it possible to have the greatest economy and greatest trade deficit evah at the same time....?

I'll give you a hint, its something Clocker and I have been saying forever...

Trade Deficits Don't Really Matter.

Its Trump pushing Democrat platform.
Old 04-19-2019, 01:29 PM   #40
elysiantraveller

Some new Trade War numbers.

China import from US dropped massive -31.8% in Q1, healthy trade growth with EU
Old 04-21-2019, 02:19 PM   #41
Clocker

Econ 101. Trade wars increase the prices of American goods to Chinese consumers. Chinese consumers, understanding this better than Presidents Trump or Xi, switch to cheaper imports from EU and other sources.
Old 04-21-2019, 02:54 PM   #42
davew

I find it interesting that many of Hillary's emails on her secret server made their way to a Chinese spying group. I still have to wonder if they were being stolen or if they were being sold. I guess some secrets will never be told.
davew is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-21-2019, 03:34 PM   #43
Show Me the Wire
Quintessential guru

US trade deficit falls 15% as Americans buy less from China

https://www.cnn.com/2019/03/27/polit...ina/index.html
Show Me the Wire is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-21-2019, 03:35 PM   #44
Clocker

Quote:
Originally Posted by davew View Post
I find it interesting that many of Hillary's emails on her secret server made their way to a Chinese spying group. I still have to wonder if they were being stolen or if they were being sold. I guess some secrets will never be told.
I am shocked, shocked I tell you, that someone would even hint that Hillary might be motivated by money rather than the public good.

Old 04-21-2019, 03:48 PM   #45
Clocker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Show Me the Wire View Post
US trade deficit falls 15% as Americans buy less from China

https://www.cnn.com/2019/03/27/polit...ina/index.html

From that article:
Quote:
Last year, he imposed tariffs on $250 billion of Chinese goods. The duties were meant to pressure Beijing to come to the negotiating table by encouraging Americans to buy less from China.
American consumers either paid those tariffs, or they avoided the tariffs by buying from other, generally more expensive, sources than China. The American consumer always gets it in the end.